Direct-sales watchdog panel being readied

webfact

Direct-sales watchdog panel being readied

By THE NATION

800_71b98fedc329dcf.jpg?v=1581873588

File Photo by The Office of the Consumer Protection Board's Website

Candidates are being considered for membership on Thailand’s first committee charged with overseeing direct sales and direct marketing businesses.

The Office of the Consumer Protection Board will propose a list this week to the permanent secretary of the Prime Minister’s Office for consideration.

Dechawat Chaeng-chuen, director of the Centre for Consumer Protection in Direct Selling and Direct Marketing Business, said the committee’s appointment responds to new legislation regulating direct sales, a type of retailing that’s playing an increasingly influential role in Thai life.

The committee will have eight members, with the chairman appointed by the Cabinet.

Members will include the directors-general of the departments of Internal Trade and Industrial Promotion, the chief of the Royal Thai Police and the secretary general of the Food and Drug Administration.

The Cabinet will appoint other members from associations and foundations involved in direct sales and marketing and consumer protection.

Dechawat said the committee will ensure consumers of fair treatment.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30382145

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-17

The Cabinet will appoint other members from associations and foundations involved in direct sales and marketing and consumer protection.

The Office of the Consumer Protection Board will propose a list this week to the permanent secretary of the Prime Minister’s Office for consideration.

These people are stupid or ignorant or both??

The first point of a regulatory compliance frame work is to invite the the most influential direct selling platforms like Lazada and intermediary player who are operating without appropriate authority and licensing agreements.... Like Singapore... surely they can invite our neighbors from Singapore,even Alibaba can be consulted...then look at the disputed transactions and resolution processing,fake misinformation, misleading information, incorrect descriptions,I used to shop with Alibaba until nearly every time I had a dispute..... that was 5 years ago.... now they have cleaned up the platform and made it almost impossible for sellers to be unethical,the dispute Management teams normally side with the customer because the Chinese sellers try to be smart assses.... guarantee periods, product description mandatory together with correctly translation in English language.....I hope someone reads this..

• Like 1

Seems to me like all of these proposed committee members have a vested interest whereas it would be more appropriate to have members free of bias.

(on what do you  bias  base your opinion Sir?)

I know my point is not in direct phase with the subject;
but I especially think that consumers in many countries are big lazy people who prefer to tap on their smartphones rather than going to physically visit a store that sells what they want to buy.
It must be said that Thailand is particularly poorly equipped in specialized stores.

The photo and cameras for example ..
If I want to buy this type of device, I first want to hold it in my hand, to know if it will suit me.
Even when I go to Central Plaza in Udon Thani, a very big city, I'm not sure if I can find the device I want !!
By buying on the internet, I know nothing in advance ... apart from the specifics of the device, but everything remains virtual.
On the other hand I know that I am killing the trade of proximity; a business which, in Thailand, did everything to commit suicide.

In France this type of "commission" has existed for ages; there are even two specialized and independent newspapers which cover the + and - of all kinds of devices sold in shops or on the internet;
but I know that in fact few French read them and buy only on a favorite or because it's pretty ..
I will never buy a camera because it looks good, but because of what it has in its belly.