Five vehicles damaged as pick-up plunges three floors at Bangkok social security car park

webfact

46 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Strange? No, its the first time and certainly not the last similar incident. Car parks here are basically racetracks, beware.

In the old days, many car garages in the USA were built around one central core.  Each level peeled off and conversely you went back into the core.  That was mostly the result of the construction technique at the time, and the somewhat limited size of some city lots.  Over time, parking garages have grown to massive sprawling structures and you don't see that round core much any more.  To me it always reminded me of a nuclear particle accelerator.  Things go round and round picking up speed until they then break out.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Again.... Surely there needs to be a crack-down on cars falling from multi-story car-parks.... 

Correct, respectfully suggest that a committee is formed soonest and a press release stating impending investigation for all multi- story car parks! 

There truly are some abysmally "designed" multi- story car parks here, they meet my expectations of Thai design, fit in perfectly with the rest of the poorly "designed" & thought out infrastructure!

• Like 1

No injuries which would suggest that, fortunately, no one was in the pick up. Looking up at the gap, one can see what appears to be the front of a vehicle. I'd suggest that the driver of that vehicle lost control and shunted the pick up through the wall. Foot on 'wrong pedal' syndrome maybe.

Studying the support pillars it's clear there is no rebar in those walls. Built for failure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Probably zero rebar in it or ridiculously un anchored.

You got that right. If there was reinforcing it would have been tied to the slab and it would be visible.

Reminds me of being on a friend's condo rooftop Garden and leaning on the wall, the 1.60 metre wall started rocking. If I pushed a little harder it would have fallen about 40 stories onto the car park. Juristic person didn't give a damn.

Made a record of the meeting and took a video of the wall. I hope I never have to show anyone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

You can see the big piece of wall structure that got knocked out.  But, that also shows how cheaply constructed that wall is.  Probably zero rebar in it or ridiculously un anchored.  Probably just that little handrail going across the top of the wall, that might keep a person from tottering over.  Not to mention the wall "concrete" might literally be the cheapest possible and little more than wall stuccho plaster

They just forgot to put the rebar in.....quite normal.

• Like 1