Crazy Eating Habits

soundman

You people worry me. You've all gone "troppo!" :o

Ok, I've eaten a few dodgy things; snake, frog, "bird", etc. But eating dogs is f*cking sick, imo. The preserve of a culture that doesn't know how to train, use, or control their breeding...

As with rodents.....dogs too were originally kept as a walking larder.....and you are suffering from an infection of "the sympathetic fallacy "....whereby you put imagined human traits on to dumb animals.

I imagine that you will have no objection to exploiting a dog when used to work...eg sheepdogs....so why the horror of exploiting them as food?

And I bet that you have had a dog which " understands everything I/ you say".....this I have heard many times...and it is said about a beast which is only slightly brighter than a chicken....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you name it ive tried it (well, not everything, but a heck of a lot).

laab dog with a lisu hilltribe guide in chiang rai.

raw buffalo and pork at an isaan wedding.

mengdah (females with eggs are best), crickets, silk worms at aranyaprathet police station (long story).

monitor lizard in an akha village.

squirrel in a lahu village.

bird in a lahu village.

bamboo worms in many places.

mengday talay (yuk) in ko chang (looks like a UFO).

those bbq'd eggs with the chicken inside (gross, but in my defence, i only had them because i was pissed and didnt realise until after i bit into the second one that there was a foetus).

dancing prawn soup with my friend in bangkok.

bbq'd rat from baan bua thong market.

im sure there are others but i just cant remember them (or perhaps i have blocked them out as they were so gross)

oh, theres always our staff canteen food. some days abysmal, and other days its great. goodness knows whats in it!

You people worry me. You've all gone "troppo!" :o

Ok, I've eaten a few dodgy things; snake, frog, "bird", etc. But eating dogs is f*cking sick, imo. The preserve of a culture that doesn't know how to train, use, or control their breeding...

As with rodents.....dogs too were originally kept as a walking larder.....and you are suffering from an infection of "the sympathetic fallacy "....whereby you put imagined human traits on to dumb animals.

I imagine that you will have no objection to exploiting a dog when used to work...eg sheepdogs....so why the horror of exploiting them as food?

And I bet that you have had a dog which " understands everything I/ you say".....this I have heard many times...and it is said about a beast which is only slightly brighter than a chicken....

I have to admit that my dog doesn't understand anything I say. BUT, he understands what my wife says. I just don't have the patience to teach him English. :D

My wife has added two new old favorites to the menu: moles and clouded leopards.

The Leopards are all gone now, as far as she knows, and I just told her moles eat bugs and worms, so she says she won’t eat them any more. Strange reaction, she eats bugs and worms, I wouldn’t have thought it would be a problem.

post-10408-1175836421_thumb.jpg

When I first moved to Thailand I imported my dog as well. The dog cost me more to import than my own plane ticket & 200kg's of cargo put together.

Within a week at my new house somebody came to ask me to buy the dog for 500B. I said no, however, why would you want my dog. They said, with all seriousness, that they had a wedding in a few days time, & they wanted to buy it for the main course. No BS!!!

post-41194-1175837776_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Soundman.

Funny you should mention cannabalism. Flashback to 6 years ago. First time in Thailand. Only Thai I knew was sawatdee krap/ka. I was in a Bangkok metered taxi and asked the taxi driver what sort of food he liked to eat. He replied: 'Farang.' Just as well I didn't know what a 'farang' was or I would have been out of the taxi like a shot.

I wonder if he was joking?

"Farang" also means guava. Naughty driver.

Lock up your dogs ... and mangoes ... and chickens ... and rodents ... and beetles ... and ...

To verify, here is its cousin, from Trang... face removed to protect the 'innocent' (who nevertheless was the one who insisted we try it. Tastes, and looks, just like chicken (NOT!)).

post-3636-1175840533_thumb.jpg

Is it good? wanted to try it but wife wont let me....

I've had moose, bear,caribou, deer and seal back in Can-a-da

Also was invited to a bush restaurant in KL, had monkey (disgusting), bat, dog, bear, flying squirrel, snake, civet cat, and lynx. all with warm coconut wine....

To verify, here is its cousin, from Trang... face removed to protect the 'innocent' (who nevertheless was the one who insisted we try it. Tastes, and looks, just like chicken (NOT!)).

That looks loke something out of an aliens movie :o

Soundman.

Also was invited to a bush restaurant in KL, had monkey (disgusting), bat, dog, bear, flying squirrel, snake, civet cat, and lynx. all with warm coconut wine....

Nope, I didn't like the taste at all. What we ordered was a yam with its eggs in it as well. I had a few spoons and then decided I won't try it again. Wifey wasn't very impressed either - over half of the yam was left - and we aren't particularly squeamish eaters.

Moose and deer are fantastic if prepared right, and kangaroo tastes surprisingly similar to moose. :o

Caught a rat in a cage at our shop a few days ago. Took the shop`s motorcycle to go home and drown it in a bucket like I usualy do, ran out of gas at the security booth. Security guy sees the rat in the cage and asks what I`m going to do with it, I gestured by running a finger across my throat. He started talking about food, like he wanted to eat it. Standing in the hot sun, I just kept on going pushing the bike back to the shop. I`ll offer the rat next time, see what happens. :o

I had a big bloody cobra come move in that one of the local handymen took care of.. The only reward he wanted.. Have the thing in a pot..

oh i forgot about snake! i was trekking into an akha village one day and all the kids were so excited to see me. they bolted up the hill past me (whilst i was huffing and puffing my way up there) and by the time i got there they ran me up to a tree where a cobra was hanging and draining.

yep. that was dinner.

Nope, I didn't like the taste at all. What we ordered was a yam with its eggs in it as well. I had a few spoons and then decided I won't try it again. Wifey wasn't very impressed either - over half of the yam was left - and we aren't particularly squeamish eaters.

Moose and deer are fantastic if prepared right, and kangaroo tastes surprisingly similar to moose. :o

Took some 'roo over for the family to try one trip. Kids were OK with it - adults not so much. Especially when told what it was. Found Thai aren't fussed on sheep/lamb. At least within my family the claim is that it's too strong in flavour. Coming from people that eat durian....

oh i forgot about snake! i was trekking into an akha village one day and all the kids were so excited to see me. they bolted up the hill past me (whilst i was huffing and puffing my way up there) and by the time i got there they ran me up to a tree where a cobra was hanging and draining.

yep. that was dinner.

Nothng wrong with a nice bit of snake. Don't take the bones out, or it won't be crunchy.

Moose and deer are fantastic if prepared right, and kangaroo tastes surprisingly similar to moose. :D

Took some 'roo over for the family to try one trip. Kids were OK with it - adults not so much. Especially when told what it was. Found Thai aren't fussed on sheep/lamb. At least within my family the claim is that it's too strong in flavour. Coming from people that eat durian....

HTF did you bring roo meat into the country? hand luggage :D:D

I have seen crocodile steaks for sale at Villa. loh la pun. 1000B per kilo!! Ostrich is very good - readily available at many Bkk restaurants.

Now here is one I won't touch - chicken feet stew. :o

the locals take the whole chicken foot in their mouths, suck the flesh & spit the bones into a small bowl set aside for such purpose. :D

Soundman.

Seeing this in Thai Rath reminded me that calf's brains are indeed a delicious entree that I've enjoyed several times.... and with this one you get the bonus of double portions... :o

of course, the Thais are interested in it for altenative, unsurprising reasons.

post-9005-1175861933_thumb.jpg

In Chiang Mai Province, in Northern Thailand, a calf was recently born with two heads. The calf, which is still alive, proved an instant hit for the locals who flocked to the site to see if they could discover any lucky numbers which could be used to win the next Thai lottery.

Thai Rath

Seeing this in Thai Rath reminded me that calf's brains are indeed a delicious entree that I've enjoyed several times.... and with this one you get the bonus of double portions... :o

of course, the Thais are interested in it for altenative, unsurprising reasons.

post-9005-1175861933_thumb.jpg

In Chiang Mai Province, in Northern Thailand, a calf was recently born with two heads. The calf, which is still alive, proved an instant hit for the locals who flocked to the site to see if they could discover any lucky numbers which could be used to win the next Thai lottery.

Thai Rath

:D

Edited by markr

Crazy eating habits!!!!!!....You've gotta love this!!!!

Thai people EAT WITH A SPOON!!!!!!

ahahahhahahah

ah

ahahahhahahah

ahahhahha

ahahahhaha

hahahh

Really, they DO....except for soup and they eat that with a TINY LADLE!!!

hahahaha

ahhah

ahahh

and noodles!!!...........they eat with STICKS FOR CRISE SAKE!!!!!

hahahahahahahahhahah

ahahha

ha

hahahahah

It's true!!!!...........REALLY!!!!!!!!!

Edited by chownah

yep. that was dinner.

Nothng wrong with a nice bit of snake. Don't take the bones out, or it won't be crunchy.

oh the bones! too many of those suckers!

Antilope

Snake

Goat eye

Cooked eggs drowned in horsepiss for a month

Ostrich

Crocodile

Grasshopper

Worms

Larves

Dog (In Uzbekistan)

Horse

Frog

Rabbit

Many things that fly (except an aeroplane or helicopter)

Scorpion

Dove

Intestines

Pig stummick

Other things in China I had never ever seen in my live but tasted not too bad.

And last but the best!!!!!!!!!

Human flesh.........

:o

sriracha john: Funny you should mention cannabalism. Flashback to 6 years ago. First time in Thailand. Only Thai I knew was sawatdee krap/ka. I was in a Bangkok metered taxi and asked the taxi driver what sort of food he liked to eat. He replied: 'Farang.' Just as well I didn't know what a 'farang' was or I would have been out of the taxi like a shot.

Edit: Spelling

Peter

sriracha john: Funny you should mention cannabalism. Flashback to 6 years ago. First time in Thailand. Only Thai I knew was sawatdee krap/ka. I was in a Bangkok metered taxi and asked the taxi driver what sort of food he liked to eat. He replied: 'Farang.' Just as well I didn't know what a 'farang' was or I would have been out of the taxi like a shot.

Edit: Spelling

Peter

Maybe he was referring to potatoes?? (mun farung)

Soundman.

lol yeah like someone mentioned, this is GUAVA lol "mark farang" but they usually just say "farang"

but in the case for peter911, lol i think it was a joke hahah.

Moose and deer are fantastic if prepared right, and kangaroo tastes surprisingly similar to moose. :D

I have seen crocodile steaks for sale at Villa. loh la pun. 1000B per kilo!! Ostrich is very good - readily available at many Bkk restaurants.

the locals take the whole chicken foot in their mouths, suck the flesh & spit the bones into a small bowl set aside for such purpose. :D

Soundman.

chicken feet is tastey! lol but make sure the chicken feet is clean!!

what a great menu for a burger van back in the uk brum would be a good location what about mot dang licking my lips already :o

ps i have found one thing they wont eat

:D but thats for a late night forum

Soundman.

Actually, yes. Frozen, very well wrapped and boxed. Brought in 2 kg.

Ostrich is nice, chicken feet almost guarantee sitting room at work for lunch.

Quite partial to croc, but haven't found a Thai yet whom can cook it properly - they tend to have it like leather.