Work Permit Coming To An End

I'm going to quit my job next month as I am planning on leaving Thailand. I am quitting at the start of the month and the company has said my work permit will continue to the end of the month, at which point it will be cancelled and I will have a week to leave. Now my question is this: when this happens, will I actually have to leave, or will I be able to mill about for 90 days before I go? I have a bit of freelance work and a few things to tie up before I go, and then I'll be off for good to pastures new. Will I have a problem doing this once my non-im B and work permit are up?

Are you here on a one year extension of stay from Immigration or a 90 day visa entry? Loss of job does not affect a 90 day visa entry and if you have a valid multi entry visa that can still be used to return.

Yes you can always do a visa run.

I'm on a one year extension of stay visa from immigration. I've also realised I need a new passport too as my pages are full, but I don't have my birth certificate. My passport is nowhere near expired, so will I have to provide a birth certificate to get the new visa? It's getting a bit messy as when I get my new passport I will need my visa transfered before I quit my job, so I may prolong my quitting for another month.

But after which point, when I have my new passport and my non-im b is terminated, and then I have 7 days to leave, can I do the usual 90 day routine? I'm hoping so, but I worried that my previous two years here might cause some problems.

Your work permit and your employment visa terminates the day you leave your employment not at the end of the month. You have 7 days to hand in your work permit and exit the country otherwise you are in the country illegally.

Hey

It may be less paperwork for them, but if you leave your employment and are subsequently questioned in the interim, (by the authorities) you would be in the country illegally (7 days after you quit your job).

Why not stay employed until month end, then you kill two birds with one stone, your legal and your employer gets his way too.

Then leave and return on the Tourist Visa, although you shouldn't be working 'freelance' whilst on the Tourist Visa...... :o

I wish you every success on your pastures anew, where ever that may be.

Kind regards

Peter

I'm having the same problems you are facing right now. Almost exactly the same actually. Been talking to guys out here and have heard the 7 days rule but just today i heard from someone who knows someone in the immig that it is possible that there 's no problem in the departure los if and when the company doesn't really submitted anything in the immig to cancel your visa as the immig doesn't really know all the loops unless they are informed and unless you exited after your 1 year extension visa expires. hope this helps. good luck to us!

There is never any problem with breaking the law until you are caught, this applies to work permits as well. It is quite simple- no job no visa no work permit = illegal farang.

"I've been told it's less paperwork and hassle for them to keep my work permit going until the end of the month I leave. "

Seems like a pretty stupid remark to me - where does the hassle come from - it is your responsibilty to return the work permit - not anyone else.

There is never any problem with breaking the law until you are caught, this applies to work permits as well. It is quite simple- no job no visa no work permit = illegal farang.

"I've been told it's less paperwork and hassle for them to keep my work permit going until the end of the month I leave. "

Seems like a pretty stupid remark to me - where does the hassle come from - it is your responsibilty to return the work permit - not anyone else.

Well I'm just reiterating what the company I work for told me. And I had my doubts which is why I'm here.

If you are currently on a 1-year Non-Imm visa, which I presume you do as you have a work permit, then exit the country (say at Mae Sai) as I did 2 years ago, and intend to do in August. Exit at least a couple of days before your visa is due to expire, turn around immediately and re-enter Thailand: you will (should) automatically get 3 more months extension on your Non-Imm visa. Cheers

I'm going to quit my job next month as I am planning on leaving Thailand. I am quitting at the start of the month and the company has said my work permit will continue to the end of the month, at which point it will be cancelled and I will have a week to leave. Now my question is this: when this happens, will I actually have to leave, or will I be able to mill about for 90 days before I go? I have a bit of freelance work and a few things to tie up before I go, and then I'll be off for good to pastures new. Will I have a problem doing this once my non-im B and work permit are up?

Try leaving Thailand and re-entering on a tourist visa. They are good for 30 days and you can renew up to three times in a 6 month period for a total of 90 days in a six month period. To be sure, check with a Thai immigration attorney, won't cost you much.

I'm on a one year extension of stay visa from immigration. I've also realised I need a new passport too as my pages are full, but I don't have my birth certificate. My passport is nowhere near expired, so will I have to provide a birth certificate to get the new visa? It's getting a bit messy as when I get my new passport I will need my visa transfered before I quit my job, so I may prolong my quitting for another month.

But after which point, when I have my new passport and my non-im b is terminated, and then I have 7 days to leave, can I do the usual 90 day routine? I'm hoping so, but I worried that my previous two years here might cause some problems.

Dear Sir, just because your passport is full does not mean you need a new passport, contact you embassy and they will add more pages for you. I assume you have a 1 year NON-"B" visa. if so exist and re-entery thailand prior to the next 90day and you will reciveve another 90 days entry into the Kingdom

Regards,

Eric

One other thought

It depends on your relationship with your employer. I quit my job in May last year, but visa was good til October. I made a deal with my boss not to hand my work permit over until October. She said 'no problem'.

But if you're cutting and running, obviously that won't be in the cards

Dear Sir, just because your passport is full does not mean you need a new passport, contact you embassy and they will add more pages for you. I assume you have a 1 year NON-"B" visa. if so exist and re-entery thailand prior to the next 90day and you will reciveve another 90 days entry into the Kingdom

Regards,

Eric

Never heard of a UK passport getting extra pages inserted

Edited by topspin

One other thought

It depends on your relationship with your employer. I quit my job in May last year, but visa was good til October. I made a deal with my boss not to hand my work permit over until October. She said 'no problem'.

But if you're cutting and running, obviously that won't be in the cards

Illegal - you visa wasn't good until October -only until you stopped work - but up to you - if you get sprung don't come complaining about how unfair / stupid/ thoughless/ etc etc Thai immigration is - the laws are the laws and that's it.