Visa Extension - Overstay - Problems?

Hi,

I came to Bangkok on a Tourist visa and the 60 days are up tomorrow (Saturday, April 7). I need to extend it for another 30 days. I just realized that today is a holiday and i believe the immigration bureau on Sathorn is closed today and tomorrow. It seems the earliest i can go to the Immgration office to get an extension is Monday, April 9 (2 days after visa expires). Will there be any problems when i go to get a visa extension on monday since i will have overstayed 2 days? will they deny the extension?

Thanks

There should not be any problem at immigration as they allow next workday in such a case as a matter of routine. I would try to avoid getting into a position that required showing my passport to a regular police officer this weekend however.

You should have done the extension earlier as it takes effect from your normal end of 60 days so you lose nothing.

Hi,

I came to Bangkok on a Tourist visa and the 60 days are up tomorrow (Saturday, April 7). I need to extend it for another 30 days. I just realized that today is a holiday and i believe the immigration bureau on Sathorn is closed today and tomorrow. It seems the earliest i can go to the Immgration office to get an extension is Monday, April 9 (2 days after visa expires). Will there be any problems when i go to get a visa extension on monday since i will have overstayed 2 days? will they deny the extension?

Thanks

Nobody can say for certain. Don't chance it.

You have the option of doing a border run or a day trip by air to SIN/KL tomorrow and re-entering for 30 days visa free. Do that, however inconvenient.

Thanks for the responses.

Anyone with any actual experiences with this type of situation?

I'm leaning towards going to the immigration office on Monday. I plan to tell them that I stopped by Friday (1 day before visa expired) and the office was closed. I know they can deny me but from some other stories I've read this seems definently doable.

Lopburi3, you're absolutely right. I should have extended earlier, but was misinformed by a friend that the visa renews from the day you go to the office.

That is what I suspected and why I mentioned it. I normally say never overstay but you will not be on overstay as far as immigration is concerned and it should not be a problem if you show up Monday (but make sure they are closed Saturday as they normally are open in the morning I believe).

I just called the immigration bureau and spoke to the operator. He said that the office is closed today and tomorrow and will re-open Monday morning. I actually called him TWICE with the same question, just to make sure...you never know...lol.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses.

Anyone with any actual experiences with this type of situation?

I do not dispute what Lopburi says. In fact I agree with what he says (except make no mistake you will be on overstay) but you should note he carefully uses the word "should". I would always recommend playing safe if possible as immigration are not predictable.

Whatever, your misdemeanour is trivial in the scheme of things. You would not be detained, that is for sure, but I have read elsewhere you may just get 7 days.

If you go to immigration get there early, Mondays are the busiest day, and the day after a holiday is worse still. You don't want to come up against an official who has become hot and bothered.

Hi,

Thanks

You'll be OK - they are really nice down there these days and the girls behind the counter are great fun.

Calenders and dates they can do!.

I am sure some of the board members here can tell of horror stories in yesteryear about visits to Suan Phlu - I remember the first time I was sent to the ' Interrogation Room' - what a title!.

Bright lights and cattle prods it was not. :o

You'll be OK - they are really nice down there these days and the girls behind the counter are great fun.

Calenders and dates they can do!.

I am sure some of the board members here can tell of horror stories in yesteryear about visits to Suan Phlu - I remember the first time I was sent to the ' Interrogation Room' - what a title!.

Bright lights and cattle prods it was not. :o

My own experience is of unfailingly politeness, even friendliness. Sometimes they have tried to make jokes (remember to laugh). I recall two occasions where they were wrong about something. On both occasions upon my querying the matter they spoke with a superior and apologised (not easy for a Thai). I can recall one instance where they were simply marvellous beyond the call of duty - I won't recount the story because no-one would believe it.

But read this forum to see that there is still bloody mindedness and pettiness. But nowhere near what it was.