Military National Service

Singhakom

My son was born in Thailand and is a dual citizen of Thailand and Australia. Both my wife and our son migrated to Australia when our son was just 9mths old. He has never lived in Thailand, does not speak or read Thai. Currently my son is 18yrs old, and I am trying to find out if he is leagally requied to go in the ballad for military service when he turns 21. Any help with this would be appreciated.

My son born in Oz and lived in Oz most of his life was listed on the house card in Thailand. Because of this I believe his name was submitted by the village chairman for ballot. I've since been told if his name wasn't on a house card they wouldn't have known about him.

As it turned out his uncle pulled some strings and had his name withdrawn from the ballot.

Check if your son is listed on a Thai house card.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Farma said:

My son born in Oz and lived in Oz most of his life was listed on the house card in Thailand. Because of this I believe his name was submitted by the village chairman for ballot. I've since been told if his name wasn't on a house card they wouldn't have known about him.

As it turned out his uncle pulled some strings and had his name withdrawn from the ballot.

House card meaning Tabien Baan book.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Farma said:

say his son was removed from the house card/ tabian bahn, so doesn't get called for the ballot, how does that affect his dual nationality?

@Farma

Edited by jastheace
add quoter

My son Thai / Australian with dual passports. When he turned 21 he went to the selection / lottery process, the officer in charge told him not to worry about it and go home when he found out he had dual citizenship, said maybe the Australian military will call you up (not much chance of that) so he was dismissed. 

• Like 1

My two luk krung boys were born in the USA.  They moved to Bangkok when they were 4&2 years old.  Educated in Thai schools until they were 16&14 when we moved back to the USA.  They each have Thai and US passports as well as Thai National ID cards.  They are both listed on the Tabian Bahn  (House Registration).  They have never been contacted by the Thai government about being called up for national service.  They have made trips back to Thailand over the years and have never been asked about their military service.  They always carry both passports as well as their Thai ID cards.  They are now 34&32 and I don't think they will be called up!

• Like 2