These Things I Like

cdnvic

There's sooooo many things about Thailand that drive me nuts. The driving, the television shows, the driving, the quality control in construction, the corruption, the driving, etc.....

However...

I like sitting on a rickety chair eating food cart pork and garlic on a rusty table while drinking an ice cold Chang. The fact that I get to watch the craziness going on all around me, from the locals being themselves, and the tourists trying not to act like tourists is a huge bonus.

I like watching beleaguered tourists as their romantic dreams of cycling across a tranquil tropical country amongst Buddhas, and rice paddies meets the reality of Bangkok traffic.

I like watching two locals smash into each other on the road, pieces of motorcycle go everywhere, and they both take off within a minute laughing.

I like taking photographs in the rainy season because the skies see some spectacular cloud formations here.

I like the look on the face of the store clerk in the middle of nowhere who looks at me as is Elvis had just come in and grabbed a Chang out of the cooler.

I like how people are too polite or embarrassed to say they don't understand or don't know, so they will say "yes" to anyone asking "Is this the way to__________" I LOVE watching people believe them (As I did the first couple of times).

I like how university age girls smile at me, and when my wife sees it she says "See? She think you're hansum!"

I like watching tourists speaking English slower and louder so that people who don't speak a word of it will understand them better. (Never seen the French, or the Germans do this)

All the politics and stuff are just conversation pieces. Visa issues, I'll adapt to. It's the little things that keeps me coming back. :o

There's sooooo many things about Thailand that drive me nuts. The driving, the television shows, the driving, the quality control in construction, the corruption, the driving, etc.....

However...

I like sitting on a rickety chair eating food cart pork and garlic on a rusty table while drinking an ice cold Chang. The fact that I get to watch the craziness going on all around me, from the locals being themselves, and the tourists trying not to act like tourists is a huge bonus.

I like watching beleaguered tourists as their romantic dreams of cycling across a tranquil tropical country amongst Buddhas, and rice paddies meets the reality of Bangkok traffic.

I like watching two locals smash into each other on the road, pieces of motorcycle go everywhere, and they both take off within a minute laughing.

I like taking photographs in the rainy season because the skies see some spectacular cloud formations here.

I like the look on the face of the store clerk in the middle of nowhere who looks at me as is Elvis had just come in and grabbed a Chang out of the cooler.

I like how people are too polite or embarrassed to say they don't understand or don't know, so they will say "yes" to anyone asking "Is this the way to__________" I LOVE watching people believe them (As I did the first couple of times).

I like how university age girls smile at me, and when my wife sees it she says "See? She think you're hansum!"

I like watching tourists speaking English slower and louder so that people who don't speak a word of it will understand them better. (Never seen the French, or the Germans do this)

All the politics and stuff are just conversation pieces. Visa issues, I'll adapt to. It's the little things that keeps me coming back. :o

I like it mate. When you have lived there for so long and move away. You miss certain things about the place.

Nice one cdnvic!!!

Yeah man I love all of the above too. Except my lady gets all catty:P

I love the sense of freedom. I love the way I feel here, not like a king or a prince no, but atleast what I would immagine minor nobility to have felt like. I like being a relatively rare brand of expat and standing out where ever I go. I Love the whole feel of it all...I Love who I am there. I Love how different this place is from where I grew up yet so similar in some ways that I feel more at home here than were I grew up!

I love Song Kran...standing around wetting up folks and being wet up all with smiles and laughter..

I Love Moooo Krop! (moo krop na man hoi het nan fa)

So many things sooo many. The negatives are getting pretty stiff but as of yet the positives still out weigh them.

nicely written vic.

I used to love sitting out in the garden mid afternoon, watching the rain clouds form and roll over us, before retreating to the shelter of the covered terrace to watch the rains falling. Fantastic, awe inspiring cloud formations.

Still, I preferred Leo. :o

I used to love sitting out in the garden mid afternoon, watching the rain clouds form and roll over us, before retreating to the shelter of the covered terrace to watch the rains falling. Fantastic, awe inspiring cloud formations.

normal_stormoverhuahin.jpg

I like the fact that I can get up in the morning, throw on a tee shirt and shorts, buy the Bangkok Post and sit reading it drinking a beer and NOBODY even raises an eyebrow.

I like it that I can get a perfectly nutricious snack in minutes for the cost of a bag of crisps (chips) back in UK or I can go to an upmarket restaurant for little more than the cost of a big mac :o .

I like it that I can eat a wide variety of fresh seafood, daily if I like, cooked in a multitude of ways.

I like it that the rain is warm.

I like it that for most of the time I don't hear voices raised in anger.

Pancakes. I love to wait for the guy to arrive on his motorbike with added hotplate and watch him make those delicious pancakes for 8 Baht (10 Baht with egg) Then I can sit by the river and savour them.

Driving. I must be weird .... I like driving in Thailand.

I do love being by the river and watching the world go by.

I like sitting with the family after I have bought a crate of beer and they decide it is time to drink it. The Karaoke comes out (Thai). Food appears. Someone fetches ice from the shop. We all talk and manage to make ourselves understood until the beer runs out and they retire for the night.

Momma's massages ... pure bliss after the pain of being walked all over and had elbows jabbed here there and everywhere. I do sweat a bit when she walks around my groin area and presses down with her heels.

Many good things to like about Thailand.

Oh, cdnvic, I hate to break this to you but my mother-in-law does this. Except she doesn't bother to slow down, she just says it louder and even faster than the first time :o

OK, my list:

I love sitting on the beach in front of our place just after the sun has set and watching everything turn a golden color.

post-4641-1175856083_thumb.jpg

I love watching my dogs go fishing in the sea

post-4641-1175855966_thumb.jpg

I love listening to the doves going whoo whoo so gently

I love hearing how beautiful I am from the Thai ladies, esp when I don't feel particularly beautiful that day ("oh you have such lovely white skin :D)

I love going to some big social event and all the relatives coming up to me "Na, where have you been, we haven't seen you in so long" Its nice being missed by my husband's ten gazillion relatives

I love it when my mother-in-law drops off some of her yummy homemade khanom

Oh, cdnvic, I hate to break this to you but my mother-in-law does this. Except she doesn't bother to slow down, she just says it louder and even faster than the first time :o

OK, my list:

I love sitting on the beach in front of our place just after the sun has set and watching everything turn a golden color.

I love hearing how beautiful I am from the Thai ladies, esp when I don't feel particularly beautiful that day ("oh you have such lovely white skin :D )

I love going to some big social event and all the relatives coming up to me "Na, where have you been, we haven't seen you in so long" Its nice being missed by my husband's ten gazillion relatives

Lovely photos SBK.

One thing I like about thai is that even though I work much harder here than I did in Australia, no one is particularly phased when you abrubtly switch to "thai time" for a few days, veg out in your underwear, (I have even turned up to the bank to counter sign a loan my wife was organising for one of her business's in boxer shorts, singlet & thongs & no-one raised an eyebrow), dissappear down the beach, turn up to work drunk - all as long as duties required of you have all been completed.

Great stuff!!

Soundman.

OK, my list:

I love hearing how beautiful I am from the Thai ladies, esp when I don't feel particularly beautiful that day ("oh you have such lovely white skin :D)

Yep how could you not love the place. I made my decision to spend the rest of my days in Thailand a long time ago and I have no regrets. I love the place and everything that goes with it. I made a total committment some years ago - married my wonderful lady, long term visa, driving license, built a decent house, adopted my wifes daughter, manage the family farm, bought a decent car and so on and so on. My wife and I regularly drive from Buri Ram to Chiang Rai and I enjoy driving in this country very much - take it easy, enjoy the incredible scenery, experience the little out of the way country hotels and local food, courteous, decent people, cold beer and all the other good things that make up this wonderful country. I wouldn't give it up for all the tea in China as they say.

A string like this in the forum tops it all off and makes it all worthwhile knowing that there really are others out there who share similar values -particularly after reading some of the garbage that goes on on the forum.

I am currently working in Sumatra and let me say that there is no comparison between Thailand and indonesia. Thailand is paradise.

Cheers,

Bicko

Stepping outside the airport, it's a time warp. Cool taxi ride to Patt or Phuket. Shower, stroll, massage (while I sleep). Leisurely evening meal (Thai food of course). Cruise the night spots, drink a few cool beers and watch people go by. Time has no meaning for a week or two - total escape from my everyday life. Chill out, recharge ready for the survival course back home.

i love it when your having a crap morning and my thai teachers say dont worry go have a coffee and il teach this lesson and everyone smiles at you and you just cant stop yourself from smiling back and thinking im a lucky sod living here :o

I love it when your having a morning crap, and then jump into a cool shower and clean up and go out to face the day: As long as you go out to face the day, something always happens!

There has been times where i have got up in the middle of the night for a pee. My wife is lying sleeping naked on the bed. I just think. "Ah, you lucky bastard!"

Or its could be your gf or just someone you have met that night. But as we all know there is just something about these exotic creatures that makes you weak at the knees.

Edited by Jockstar

Agree with the OP. This place has its downs (traffic, lies, fake smiles) but it is far better than none of it and it is tranquil.

My wife (Thai) calls me and my best friend "Local people". For some reason every time we are outside a restaurant, bar, park, sometimes a Thai and farangs come up to us to ask us for directions. Then they sit down and shoot the bull with us.

We are approachable, I guess. Something that I was not when I lived back in Farangland.

Thanks for the OP, CV.

I like the fact that the sun rises and sets about the same time everyday. Never need a watch. Get up at dawn when it's cool, work, then knock off everyday about 5pm, shower again, then walk the dogs and watch the sunset. Check the position of Orion's Belt for the time at night.

Getting to know the plants and which ones you can hack off and stick in the ground to grow and which ones need a bit of root.

The five-minute walk to our small supermarket-cum-outdoor pub, where the shop owner stocked wine especially for me (kept em in the fridge until I finished the bottle, no charge) and our farang/Thai group would gather most eves for chats and maybe impromptu BBQs (someone would run up to the wet market and get seafood). Nothing was a big production.

Collecting fruit and cashew nuts.

Never wearing socks.

Helping locals dig for clams on the beach.

nicely written vic.

Still, I preferred Leo. :o

I agree with you that drinking Leo is preferable to drinking rainwater.

post-123-1175998163_thumb.jpg

cdnvic;

Great writing:

Waking in the morning about 6 am sometimes earlier to the sound of birds and dogs barking cockerals doing there thing, but they think dawn is any hour of the day.

Making morning coffee walk in the garden say hi to my dog:

Watch the dawn come up, think what shall I do today, then the pick-ups come chanting on there PA systems selling everything from eggs to guttering.

Mama comes to visit with her Betal Nut and to see her new grandaughhter and brings Issan food for the wife.

The evenings are as pleasureable watering not hearing buses and taxis and trains hurtling buy.

Whats nice is you can smell folks cooking or hear them crushing there chillis to make a dip with there mortar and petsal

The occasional Chang wanders through the village

Basically I love it here

Edited by macb

However...

( I include myself in here ) the farang are a usually a miserable bunch of sods that need working on to get them to smile and relax, the thias on the other hand are usually a happy smiling lot that you have to work hard to piss off ! i know where id rather be !

Areminder for those of you getting homesick !,.

Basically I love it here

That says it all, couldn't agree more.

and CNDVIC thanks for this topic.

Cheers

onzestan

A reminder for all those of you getting a little homesick, i was recently back in the uk and was in a huge shopping mall, the ratio of ugly/overweight women is totally reversed to what it is in thailand, ie, for every 100 women you see in thailand 99 will be lovely, in the uk, its the odd one !,. remenber why you came here,..

Whats nice is you can smell folks cooking or hear them crushing there chillis to make a dip with there mortar and petsal

In fermented-fish-paste-land the smell of what folks are cooking is for me one of the worst experiences in life, it comes just after time spent in the morgue... :o

A reminder for all those of you getting a little homesick, i was recently back in the uk and was in a huge shopping mall, the ratio of ugly/overweight women is totally reversed to what it is in thailand, ie, for every 100 women you see in thailand 99 will be lovely, in the uk, its the odd one !,. remenber why you came here,..

Funny, I was going to say that about many of the men in the west, especially those who stroll the shopping malls and populate the pubs. Problem is, us pretty chicks go to Thailand and what's there for us? The same fat slobs from the west who moved to the beaches of LOS. The only difference is their fat hairy bellies are bared for all to see and one hand is perpetually curled around a litre bottle of beer.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Funny, I was going to say that about many of the men in the west, especially those who stroll the shopping malls and populate the pubs. Problem is, us pretty chicks go to Thailand and what's there for us? The same fat slobs from the west who moved to the beaches of LOS. The only difference is their fat hairy bellies are bared for all to see and one hand is perpetually curled around a litre bottle of beer.

You promised If I sent you my picture you'd keep it private. :o

being able to stroll around and feeling safe thats what i like unlike back in the uk gangs of idiots hanging outside the local shop coppers looking to hand out more tickets 3 points for this 4 for that here its great people in my area just want to chat and give you food and whiskey and want you to join in anything there are doing lifes so much better here except for the teabags :o

You promised If I sent you my picture you'd keep it private. :o

You mean the Arnie in the buff lookalike snap you sent me and somebody hacked it from my files and put it on the artful thread and then that post was subsequently deleted by a mod? Oh, you didn't have a porkpie belly in that photo, CV. Abs and pecs, but no overhang.

I also like watching and listening to the kids playing at the beach or fishing from the end of a pier with a stick rod and a hook baited with a piece of shrimp.

Excellent thread, all Newbies should be directed to read this, especially if they have just settled here.

Only been here for a while, but already taken to walking the beach at 6.am. (tide permitting). Stopping off for fresh coffee at the end of my walk, sitting chatting with the locals, all friendly and smiles, then turn around and walk back down the beach home again.

Love it, start the day feeling like I'm living in Paradise.

Cheese and onion sandwiches, Derby chinaware, fiddles n jigs, Woogie me dog, my auntie Vi having a swear.

Taking me dad for a pint or 2 on a Sunday morning stroll, licourice pipes, baggy suits, Glen Hoddle scoring a goal. Catching a pike and riding me bike, old wooden wheels and a bowl of eels.

Thats what i like!!

Seriously though, great post and well done to the OP.

Just being here.

Getting up in the morning grabing a mug of tea and going sitting by the river with the dog.

Sitting with the brothers, uncles & friends sharing a case of Chang and a bottle of whisky.

Being with the missus