Songkran in Laos?

bender92

Although not as crazy as Thailand, the water throwing goes on a day or two longer in Laos with little police supervision. THere are no special zones or time limits. Lots of drunks and very loud music. Very hard to travel once it starts. And most falang orientated businesses are closed for the duration. Most foreigners either stay home away from the drunk waterthrowing or leave the country.

• Like 1

Every Songkran (Pi Mai Lao), I head home to Hua Hin from Vientiane  - it goes on for about  5 or days or so and is just chaos. Most people I know  (Lao included) head out of Vientiane and travel to 'quieter spots' and often take the opportunity to return to their families.

Would avoid it. I know Thailand manic, but so is Laos, and moreso. They also make small, tied up plastic bags of water, coloured with dye, that they throw very hard at passing people and vehicles. These can hurt a lot, or dent cars, as well as staining clothes. Laos is generally more reserved than Thailand, but when let loose, look out. 

• Like 1