Covid-19: Doom and gloom or not so bad? Same day Koh Larn reports present conflicting stories

webfact

Covid-19: Doom and gloom or not so bad? Same day Koh Larn reports present conflicting stories

4pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

The effects of the Covid-19 outbreak have inspired countless stories about the effect on tourism. 

But while one minute it's all doom and gloom the next it is not so bad at all. 

It seems to be a question of who the reader prefers to believe!

This situation was never more obvious than in two stories published by the Thai media yesterday.

The Pattaya News said Koh Larn was doing fine - 77kaoded said it was lifeless. 

inbound4670848286322051883-696x391.jpg

Picture: The Pattaya News

The Pattaya News were upbeat quoting a ferryman who said that his business relied more on Europeans. Somyot, 28, said he wasn't particularly affected but he conceded that speedboats who used to take the Chinese across to the island were hard hit.

Pattaya News said that Ta Waen beach on the island was full of Russian day trippers. They spoke of the beach's crystal clear waters in a happy report.

Some Indians were coming and at the weekend Thais were staying over. 

In their headline they said that Europeans were excitedly visiting in droves. 

77kaoded painted a very different picture. The caption on their main picture said: Koh Larn lifeless. 

They published pictures of a deserted beach and deckchairs with no customers. 

They said that tourism was 90% down. 

Sources: 77kaoded | The Pattaya News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-28

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

If you want the real truth ask the hotels and the businesses they will give you the absolute truth as it those people mostly affected .

I do not necessarily agree with that.

There is a general "feel sorry for us" theme here.  Even during busy times they will mostly tell you: No business, it slow.

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

It's likely both. The China Beach full of Russians and nothing on the others.

I visited Tien beach (via Ta Waen ferry) this Wednesday. Usual late high season numbers, mostly Russians (tip - catch the first ferry, have the beach almost to yourself for an hour). Quite a few Russians at a relatively deserted Ta Waen beach (the China beach) as well, taking advantage of the absence of Chinese, but I prefer Tien, as there’s lots of natural shade there. Pleasant (and peaceful!) ferry trip, with heaps of unoccupied seats.

To summarise - usual number of tourists for this time of year, minus the Chinese.

Edited by CygnusX1

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I do not necessarily agree with that.

There is a general "feel sorry for us" theme here.  Even during busy times they will mostly tell you: No business, it slow.

No need to ask and possibly get lied to. Observation will suffice.

19 hours ago, d2b2 said:

Just flew into BKK 20 minutes ago. Gate to curb in 15 minutes. Literally empty concourses, immigration, luggage terminal. Employees outnumbered passengers 20:1. 

It was shocking. Totally deserted midday (14:30)

Screenshot_20200228_145546.jpg

I remember before the Chinese invasion,it was usually like that ,