Driving Licence renewal.

wildpikey

I believe it is up to one year after expiry. Always, if possible, let it expire for a few days and then renew. You get five birthdays after renewal before it expires again. So, by letting it expire, you get a six year renewal

• Like 2

Three months before expiry.

Up to one year after expiry without additional effort.

One to three years: do theory test.

More than three years: all from start (theory and driving test).

16 minutes ago, neilrob said:

let it expire for a few days and then renew.

Much recommended (one day after birthday is enough).

If you don't feel well driving with expired license: use public transport/taxi.

I'm afraid that they may have changed that, and if you let your license expire you need a lot of extra documentation from Immigration and tests to go about renewing a license. I was shown these new requirements from someone who had printed them from the Pattaya City Expats Club (October 2019). Page 4 of this link. Anyway, that's Pattaya.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/thai license Checklist.pdf

55 minutes ago, mottyj said:

I'm afraid that they may have changed that, and if you let your license expire you need a lot of extra documentation from Immigration and tests to go about renewing a license. I was shown these new requirements from someone who had printed them from the Pattaya City Expats Club (October 2019). Page 4 of this link. Anyway, that's Pattaya.

If the license is expired, a both written and driving test will be required at Banglaung LTO

Would mean that Pattaya/Banglamung can introduce their own rules (different from all that was known and published by the DLT).

Edited by KhunBENQ

9 hours ago, mottyj said:

Oh dear,

So can anyone verify if these rules are being enforced in Chiang Mai? or can we still have a year after expiry to renew?

3 hours ago, wildpikey said:

Oh dear,

So can anyone verify if these rules are being enforced in Chiang Mai? or can we still have a year after expiry to renew?

Well I decided to go to the source and ask at the Driving Licence Department at Hang Dong Rd. They confirmed to me this morning that you can renew up to 1 year after expiry. So Happy Days.

1 hour ago, wildpikey said:

Well I decided to go to the source and ask at the Driving Licence Department at Hang Dong Rd. They confirmed to me this morning that you can renew up to 1 year after expiry. So Happy Days.

Yes. I renewed my expired licence (expired by a few days) in Chiang Mai at the end of November with no problem and got six years. That was after the reported change of policy in Pattaya.