Prices For Beer Bottles And Paper

chevykanteve

Up where I am (Roi-et) the "recyclers" pay 1 baht for three bottles of beer and 1 baht per-kilogram of paper. I thought it would be interesting to see how much others get for this stuff.

One Baht for three bottles of beer? What's your address I'll be along this evening muy pronto. :o

I used to save all my empties in a box and give them to the garbage guys but money was never mentioned. Even at the rate I drink one Baht for three bottles would hardly rattle the financial Richter scale.

Bt5 per case of empty beer bottles, whatever for paper, old computers, old anything. One nice man cleaned out my back storage and wanted to give me Bt200!

bonus. it isn't often people pay you to clean your stuff. i've got a toilet that needs to be cleaned and i could use 40 baht for a beer. whats this guys phone number?

Just in case this thread might prompt interest in this field of work, I believe that foreigners are prohibited from employment as trash can scavenger as it is likely an occupation protected by Ministry of Labour laws.

The Farang plastic bottle collector in Lumphini park seemed to have a pretty long unmolested run with nobody seeming to mind him taking 'work' away from Thais, but in the last few weeks or so I have not seen him around.

Since the appearance of the Dutch beggar on Youtube, has there been a general round-up?

For those of us who have lived in countries where recycling is mandatory, we are accustomed to segregating our refuse into cardboard, bottles, cans and plastics.

My Thai urged me to continue and I am always amazed when we go to the recycle on Mae Rim road near the house and turn in our segregated trash how much we are given.

They must pay enough. Momma loves it when I buy a crate and the family and I consume it all .... so I have to go buy another crate LOL.

Cardboard seems to be highly prized. Maybe that is worth even more?

Cardboard 4.50B, Newspaper 1.70B per kilo.

Cheers,

Soundman.

I give mine away. :D

Are you really so hard up that you want payment??

The topic is "Prices for Beer Bottles and Paper". Please stick to the topic, Mr. MODERATOR.

According to the Mrs

1.5 baht/ kilo for glass bottles

and sorry off topic 13baht / kilo for plastic bottles.

I got a flea in the ear when I naively offered them for free to a passing recycler.

oh and further off topic ( might turn into a marathon ( snicker snicker ) ) :D

1000 baht each for 2 *10 years old clapped out central air con units.

and to complete the bounty.. 400 baht for a knackered water pump. :o

Here's a novel approach

Thailand Boosts Recycling by Exchanging Eggs for Garbage

An environment project in Thailand is exchanging eggs for rubbish. The government scheme is an attempt to clean up the northeast municipality of Nakornratchasima and boost recycling.

The Department of Environment offers eggs in return for old paper, plastic, glass and scrap metal. Villagers can also trade rubbish for rice or plants if it is of sufficient value.

The Mayor of Nakornratchasima, Surawut Cherdchai, told the Kao Sod newspaper the project was intended to encourage recycling and environmental awareness in an area which has serious problems of disease and waste disposal.

Since the project started the daily amount of garbage collected for disposal has already fallen from 200 tons a day to 175 tons.

Mr Cherdchai said in the near future all schools and temples in the area will have 'egg exchange' centres.

It is also planned to offer a points system so that villagers can save up for a bicycle.

Peter

Here's a novel approach

Thailand Boosts Recycling by Exchanging Eggs for Garbage

An environment project in Thailand is exchanging eggs for rubbish. The government scheme is an attempt to clean up the northeast municipality of Nakornratchasima and boost recycling.

The Department of Environment offers eggs in return for old paper, plastic, glass and scrap metal. Villagers can also trade rubbish for rice or plants if it is of sufficient value.

The Mayor of Nakornratchasima, Surawut Cherdchai, told the Kao Sod newspaper the project was intended to encourage recycling and environmental awareness in an area which has serious problems of disease and waste disposal.

Since the project started the daily amount of garbage collected for disposal has already fallen from 200 tons a day to 175 tons.

Mr Cherdchai said in the near future all schools and temples in the area will have 'egg exchange' centres.

It is also planned to offer a points system so that villagers can save up for a bicycle.

Peter

That's a sensible idea. Maybe it will help deal with some of the litter problems.

Recycling is one of the perks of my grossly underpaid housekeepers. They keep my coke cans, beer bottles, soda water bottles and newspapers. They save them up until there's a pick up load and usually tell me that they end up with about 500B. My cries of "har sip/har sip" are treated with giggling disdain.

Recycling is one of the perks of my grossly underpaid housekeepers. They keep my coke cans, beer bottles, soda water bottles and newspapers. They save them up until there's a pick up load and usually tell me that they end up with about 500B. My cries of "har sip/har sip" are treated with giggling disdain.

One of the bonuses I pay to my staff (best attendance for the month) is the priveledge of collecting & selling next months waste. Jing ๆ. With the proviso that half of what they sell is returned to the factory beer fund.

Some months its as high as 10,000B for cardboard, steel & copper offcuts. 5000B (equal to nearly a months salary) is pretty good incentive, however the staff usually team it all up & share. No probs, the factory is cleaner for free!!

Cheers,

Soundman.

Are your really that tight arsed??

In your home country you would PAY people to take the things away.

Give me a break, and pay he poor Thai guy who collects them. :o

Actually, here we get money for them just like in Thailand. Same in the US.

Nothing about being tight-assed. Manufacturers use it to offset their waste management fees.

Edited by cdnvic

In Australia I always did my own recycling. There's a deposit on all drink containers in my home state and I'd usually do a monthly run in my ute.

When I was in the building industry I'd always save any non-ferrous metal scrap and sell them to the scrappy at Xmas to pay for the liquid refreshments.

Now I live in Thailand my wife runs the household very efficiently and I wouldn't dream of interfering with anything like staff wages or perks.

The rubbish guy was paid 20B a "bin bag" to take our garbage away and when he was seriously injured in a fire we were among the leading contributers to the village fund set up for him.

An old colleague of mine used to describe me as "careful".

Then qualified it as "careful as a crab's @rsehole!".

Nothing about being tight-assed. Manufacturers use it to offset their waste management fees.

The difference is that the guy in Thailand is making a living from recycling and does not

get any other income...............

Unlike US and Canada. :D

Give me a break, and pay he poor Thai guy who collects them. :D

I think you missed the drift of my post. (if your post was referring to mine).

The thai guy who gets the priveledge of rubbish collection makes almost a full months salary on top of his current salary for an extra 2 - 3 hours work per week collecting offcuts out of the factory.

Normal salary 6000B per month, money collected from sale of recylables / 2 = about 5000B. Total paid 11,000B for one month. :o

What's tight arsed about that?

Cheers,

Soundman.

The difference is that the guy in Thailand is making a living from recycling and does not

get any other income...............

Unlike US and Canada. :D

Do you make this big of a deal because people cook and don't pay the poor guy running the food cart instead? :o

QUOTE(astral @ 2007-04-07 23:10:31)

Give me a break, and pay he poor Thai guy who collects them.

I think that the"Moderator" had to have been joking with that comment.

It must be my Scots ancestry

No, in the UK, I used to seperate out the recycleables, and carry them myself to the nearest recycling-centre. I'm delighted that here they will actually come to collect them off me.

And the going-rate for an aluminium-can, Coke/Sprite/Chang etc, is 50 satang !

Geez, I wish there was a smilie, with a tartan bonnet & kilt, for me to use ! :o