Printer repair

Inderpland

Cheap enough to replace as I was quoted just under the price of a new one, full of BS they are and with the slight extra cost I got two years warranty, oh and didn't buy it at the store that gave me the BS story.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

Most printers these days are cheaper to buy new than to repair but believe most manufactures will have a facility so probably best to search by the brand name.  Believe someone asked that question here a few months ago so maybe a Google search will turn it up (as recall there was a firm on Sukhumvite that sold and repaired many brands).    

• Like 1

I took an HP 3 in 1 inkjet to a kiosk repair shop which specialized in HP Printers.  I forget what the problem was but he did fix it, however the repair cost was actually several hundred Baht more than what I originally paid for the darn thing new.  

I asked him why and he said that the parts are very highly marked up by the local importers.  He showed me the invoice from the part for my machine and indeed, the one part was more than half the original price.  Add in a few more parts and his labor and his charge to me was not excessive.

As many others have said, unless an expensive machine to start with, probably best to ditch it and buy new.

8 minutes ago, albertik said:

I once had an HP which had run out of ink. Turns out, it was cheaper to buy a new printer than buy new ink cartridges.

Have to be careful on that as some will ship with very small ink cartridges.

Somewhat similar with smartphones, anywhere. I splashed some water on my not expensive Samsung phone (not immersed in water) and it stopped working immediately.

Took it to a recommended repair station In Sydney. Very direct shop owner just looked at the phone lying on his counter and said 'AUD250 to open it and look inside, probably AUD350 all up but no guarantee about total price and no guarantee on the repairs. 

I kept looking, found another shop, very pleasant lady asked me 'when did the water get splashed on the phone' and a couple of other questions. 

Then she said 'there's a good chance it will bounce back when it's fully dry', then she said 'if you like I can put a desk light on it to warm just a little, and we wait 15 minutes, and see what happens.' Sure enough 10 minutes later It suddenly came back to life.

No change so I bought a new case from the nice lady. 

2 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

What is wrong with it?

I normally just buy a new one.......but TukCom South Road, 4th floor (floor above PowerBuy)....as you come off the escalator look to the left he will sort it

Only snag is carrying it there....

It's (one of) the "wheels" that feed the paper into the printer. I have a Canon Pixma which is not more than a couple of years old and since I just replaced the ink cartridges with original ones (you can only refill so many times) I thought I'd try to have it repaired.

Guess I'll head for Tukcom then.

In most cases I would not bother with a repair especially if it is an electrical issue. Most every day home printers are not designed to last and are sold at cost or even less. The printer manufacturers make their money on the crazy priced chipped ink cartridges that tell the printer not to print because you have no more black ink but the other 3 cartridges are almost full. You can buy a new printer say off lazada for around 1K-3K Thb

This is Why Printer Ink is So Expensive

48 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

It's (one of) the "wheels" that feed the paper into the printer. I have a Canon Pixma which is not more than a couple of years old and since I just replaced the ink cartridges with original ones (you can only refill so many times) I thought I'd try to have it repaired.

Guess I'll head for Tukcom then.

Buy another Pixma - that is what I did a few months ago when old unit locked up which would require Canon service.  Just make sure it uses the same ink tanks.  I know - not green.

2 hours ago, izod10 said:

The HP ones are good,no inkjet,no tank, just two sealed cartridges that are possible to re-fill,  about 1800

Been there, done that. A messy prospect at best. Personally I won't buy another HP. 

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Have to be careful on that as some will ship with very small ink cartridges.

Yeah, you're right. A few years ago American cars had the same philosophy with tires. New car but poor quality rubber, good for about half the life of a replacement tire.

22 hours ago, albertik said:

Yeah, you're right. A few years ago American cars had the same philosophy with tires. New car but poor quality rubber, good for about half the life of a replacement tire.

Sometimes you get the small donuts. Many new cars in UK don't have a spare now!