Thailand's foreign retirees see their good life slip away

webfact

8 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

My personal concern about keeping the 800,000 in the bank, is not that I cannot access it,or afford to lock that amount up, but if Thailand decides to change the laws during a time of unrest, and  acquire the funds of farang and order us from the country, then we are royally screwed.

That is all some people have for security.

I would never trust keeping 800,000 baht in Thailand.  Transfer out, accessing money, delays as accounts are "frozen", presumptive guilt or source laws or policies that can be used to at best slow down getting the money while proving where money came from. source, etc.  in good times or emergency times is a significant risk.

5 hours ago, CGW said:

I can understand your concern, whether it is justified is debatable though?

I have had the same 800k in a bank account for well over 10 year now - with no issues! Yearly visa extension's take usually 20 minutes, 90 day reports 5 minutes, risks - not seeing them at this time.

yes things work well when they work. 

14 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

The good life slipping away lol, it's called being financially unprepared. Anybody who tries to retire in a foreign country on the cheap is a fool..

But nobody can forsee or even plan for a 50% decrease in their currency or ever changing visa rules....how much buffer do you have to allow for. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baansgr said:

But nobody can forsee or even plan for a 50% decrease in their currency or ever changing visa rules....how much buffer do you have to allow for. 

I'd have thought anyone who thinks that one-year stays, renewable at the whim of a government, is a long-term proposition has no idea how to do a risk assessment

• Like 2

While I agree that the article is lacking in specifics - and I don’t think it was designed to be a point-for-point technical read of the situation - I DO think the larger message is on point... that being the “old days” of a combination of a) weaker baht and stronger western currency plus b) the more complex and rapidly changing visa rules have made living here on a “permanent” basis, a bit more difficult for some.. not all.. but some.

I myself don’t see that changing anytime in the immediate near future.. but like all things governmental, I don’t think it will stay like this forever.

14 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Camboida pays up to 8% ( - 7% tax) on 1 year term deposits

Nyezhov ,why cant ya go to Bangkok? or if in SR just hop over to surin.

waiting for the virus to go poof, bye.....

15 hours ago, madmen said:

<deleted> journalism with zero due dilligance 

"Applicants must now also have health insurance" 

Really since when? 

800k or 65k. Wow amazing and never mentions the 400k

Nothing to see here folks 

Isn't the article about retirees and not those maaried to and supporting a Thai?

15 hours ago, aussienam said:

Yes, if there was ever a run on the banks similar to what has occurred in other developing nations and the government blocked withdrawals then we would all be screwed.  And complain you'll be deported LOL.

I think most expats here are getting screwed on a regular basis. 

8 minutes ago, mickey rat said:

Unless you live in the far south you'll be dead sooner anyway due to the horrendous air pollution so you actually will be saving about 10 to 20 percent by knocking years off your life expectancy! Once you add that into your calculations it's not nearly so expensive. ????

Like there is no pollution here in the north?

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

15 hours ago, aussienam said:

Yep, as well as Australia.  We have lost 25% since it was 25 Baht to 1 AUD, and we were always the 'poor cousins' of Europe and the USA.  Us Aussies have always been looked down on as the Cheap Charlies and now we are even cheaper!

I know Cheap Charlies of many nationalities!! ????????????????????????????????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I'd have thought anyone who thinks that one-year stays, renewable at the whim of a government, is a long-term proposition has no idea how to do a risk assessment

I’d have thought you would understand that every individual has a different takeaway from risk assessment based on their individual needs and circumstance.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

doesn't make sense, do you understand what a risk assessment is?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

My personal concern about keeping the 800,000 in the bank, is not that I cannot access it,or afford to lock that amount up, but if Thailand decides to change the laws during a time of unrest, and  acquire the funds of farang and order us from the country, then we are royally screwed.

That is all some people have for security.

it is part of the trade off but the individual has own decision to make.

• Like 1

some people are easily pleased

6 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

On the 800k deposit. If you die better have a Thai will or it will be very difficult for relatives to recover the funds.

Just make the Mrs co signature (not joint account) then she could go in after you die and take it all out. Technically fraud but they will never know you died.