First name change on Uk passport

So there's a boy named 'Somchai Smith', this is the name on his Thai birth certificate. He currently holds a valid Thai passport in this name and an expired Uk passport in this name. Growing up he's always been called 'Michael' and would now like his official documents to show his name as 'Michael Somchai Smith'. Step one easy enough, both parents attended the local disttrict office and 2 official documents were produced, one to show the new first name as Michael, and one to show the new middle name as Somchai. His Thai id card was then issued in the name 'Michael Somchai Smith'. It will now be straight forward when renewing the Thai passport on expiry. Regarding the renewal of the expired Uk passport, I've checked on this forum and on the uk passport site and it seems that all we need to provide are the usual requested documents plus  certified copies by a local Bangkok translator of the two documents issued by the district office as well as copies of the id card, then we'd be ready for the Vfs appointment. My question is does this sound about right or have I missed anything?

Obviously real names have not been used.

As always many thanks for the helpful replies.

That seems ok, if you are getting the translations done anyway, you should perhaps look at getting a UK birth Cert done, which is held on the General register in the UK. (Should not affect renewing the UK passport with the updated name).

It may be handy in the future, I recently ordered a couple of UK birth certs from People of Scotland Website, for the Son, and they arrived in a couple of days, to my house in the UK.

Thanks for the input UKresonant, I'll look into the Uk birth certs, I'm assuming it's some kind of entry on the births register as opposed to fully blown Uk birth certs but sounds like a smart move.

Archived