Cooling Your Pc

eric1000

i have had a thunderbird chip burn out very quickly ,had a good size fan but it was not up to the job in the thai heat . they run too hot as it is .

i was looking at the water cooling devices at pantip , anyone using water cooling ?

costs? maintenance ?

how often do you need to top up the rad ?

I'd be highly dubious about using a water cooling system, after all 99% of the stuff i've bought in thailand is below usual standard, and my greatest fear there would be that my big, powerful expensive PC would suddenly have half a gallon of water dumped into it whilst its turned on and i was sat at it. That would be a mess and make for a very bad day!

If your having trouble keeping your PC cool, why not take the side panel off it, stick a desk fan next to it and turn it on full blast. Not only does that provide decent airflow to keep the chips cool but it also gets rid of all the dust/cobwebs that seem to magically appear inside PC's residing in LOS.

Not to mention its a darn site safer...

Just my humble opinion

Another possiblity for a cooler running system is to pick up a bare bones Shuttle XPC http://us.shuttle.com/ I have two .. one with a P4 and one with an Athlon. The XPC uses a large elaborate heat pipe and one small fan (some newer models use 2 small fans). The Athlon runs hotter than the P4 but I havent had any heat related problems with Either unit.

/SM

Water based cooling systems have been around for a long time, they arent really new par se.

Great idea that actually works really well, its just one of those things you simply cant afford to cut corners on, go for one thats made by a reputable company, you cant afford to get a leak :o

Generally only needed by over-clockers. Seems a bit extreme for a standard pc. A better heat sink and fan would probably suffice for your needs. Should be able to limit the CPU temperature in the bios, this way if it does overheat it will shut down the pc until it's dropped to a safe temperature instead of burning the CPU out.

Generally only needed by over-clockers. Seems a bit extreme for a standard pc. A better heat sink and fan would probably suffice for your needs. Should be able to limit the CPU temperature in the bios, this way if it does overheat it will shut down the pc until it's dropped to a safe temperature instead of burning the CPU out.

I thought that most computers monitored the temp and dropped the processor speed to 50 percent if it got too hot. Am I wrong in thinking this.

By the way IBM built some water cooled main frames back in the 1980's

Im with you on that Penz.

Goto your local hardware store, spend 300baht on a normal desk fan, remove the side panel, put the desk fan pointing into the PC, turn on full blast when using the PC. This will keep your base unit dust free and cool at the same time and is much cheaper than buying $600 water cooled systems.