bicycle friendly neighborhood(s)?

Requiem

19 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

My experience has shown that those who are loudest about the dangers of cycling in thailand have rarely spent any real time actually cycling, and frequently dont do much of anything at all.

Who are these people that are laying around like fat blobs being loud about Cyclists? maybe you need to stop hanging with the bar stool brigade and actually get on your bike rather than crowing about it on TV and that to me my friend says you probably own a pushbike for midnight snacks 7/11 ????

Stop crowing , doers dont crow !!

Edited by madmen

3 hours ago, madmen said:

Who are these people that are laying around like fat blobs being loud about Cyclists? maybe you need to stop hanging with the bar stool brigade and actually get on your bike rather than crowing about it on TV and that to me my friend says you probably own a pushbike for midnight snacks 7/11 ????

Stop crowing , doers dont crow !!

Sorry mate I rarely drink and 7 11 is right across the soi, maybe 150 meters from my front door.

It seems you could certainly use a good belt though.

As for these naysayers you speak of, pull up any cycling in thailand thread and take a good look at those who say it cant or shouldnt be done.

You will find yourself in grand company.

Edited by metempsychotic

On 3/11/2020 at 9:02 AM, Katipo said:

https://www.nichada.com/ is easily the most child friendly neighbourhood in Bangkok. Very few cars, dedicated cycle lanes that are actually respected, and footpaths and walkways too. There are a ton of other amenities and regular family orientated and other expat friendly activities are organised as well.

This has to be the most bike friendly neighborhood there is. Its like a mini slice of white picket America in Thailand

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 10:20 PM, Metapod said:

This has to be the most bike friendly neighborhood there is. Its like a mini slice of white picket America in Thailand

That it is.  Once you turn off of Samakee and turn towards Nichada it's like you almost left Thailand.  

On 3/11/2020 at 9:02 AM, Katipo said:

https://www.nichada.com/ is easily the most child friendly neighbourhood in Bangkok. Very few cars, dedicated cycle lanes that are actually respected, and footpaths and walkways too. There are a ton of other amenities and regular family orientated and other expat friendly activities are organised as well.

Looks nice, but when I looked at the prices of rentals (only the condo prices), living there would be beyond the reach of Mr. Joe Average (108k to 315k/mth). It is the kind of place where the employer is covering the rent of the expatriate, who will be in Thailand for a 3 or 4 year stint. And house prices are way, way out of my range, up to 48 million Baht.  

Not doubt a wonderful upscale neighborhood but I am afraid I will have to stick with places like Bang Krachao which would be more accommodating of us less well off folks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GarryP said:

Looks nice, but when I looked at the prices of rentals (only the condo prices), living there would be beyond the reach of Mr. Joe Average (108k to 315k/mth). It is the kind of place where the employer is covering the rent of the expatriate, who will be in Thailand for a 3 or 4 year stint. And house prices are way, way out of my range, up to 48 million Baht.  

Not doubt a wonderful upscale neighborhood but I am afraid I will have to stick with places like Bang Krachao which would be more accommodating of us less well off folks.

Yes, Nichada is extremely expensive for both rent and purchase.  I can only afford to ride my bike through the area or go for a run around the lake.

4 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Yes, Nichada is extremely expensive for both rent and purchase.  I can only afford to ride my bike through the area or go for a run around the lake.

I am surprised that they will allow non-residents to use their facilities. But good for you if that is not a problem. 

14 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I am surprised that they will allow non-residents to use their facilities. But good for you if that is not a problem. 

On the roads is ok.  Just another farang riding a bike or running.  Inside the grounds of ISB is another story.

On 3/16/2020 at 9:44 AM, GarryP said:

I used to live round the corner & had a pass to use the pool, Villa market and restaurants - as well as use it for a shortcut.

Many years ago though...

• Like 2