Once TH citizen, what about my current Visa?

Hi there,

I will have my Thai birth certificate very soon and will now become a TH citizen (Half Thai/American). I have a question regarding my current tourist visa. I don't want to have to pay any kind of overstay fees ect.

1. Once I have my TH birth certificate, do I need to report to immigration that I will no longer need my current tourist visa? Or is it safe to say that once I have my TH passport, I would no longer be leaving or entering TH with my USA passport and wouldn't need to report anything?

2. Can you travel domestically within TH with just a TH birth certificate? Need to visit my family down south to be added to the home registration at which point I can get my TH ID and apply for TH passport at that time.

Sidenote question: Why cant I get on my own house registration once I become a TH citizen? Why would I need to be part of my family's?

I appreciate the help in advance. 

Edited by ktg718

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. After getting your Thai passport you will have to fly out and back to do a passport swap to use it.

2.You will have to keep your current entry using a foreign passport valid.

You cannot get a blue house book unless you own a house or condo. That is why you have to be registered in an existing house book.

It does not have to be family members house book. With permission of the house master shown in a house book you can  be registered in any house book.

it is also possible to go to immigration and get the visa cancelled.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

it is also possible to go to immigration and get the visa cancelled.

Most immigration offices will not do that. They only have procedures for doing it if a person applied for Thai nationality here.

Most offices will tell a person exactly what I wrote or if the need more time allow them to apply for a one year extension based upon being a Thai.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Most immigration offices will not do that. They only have procedures for doing it if a person applied for Thai nationality here.

Most offices will tell a person exactly what I wrote or if the need more time allow them to apply for a one year extension based upon being a Thai.

I see. I didn't know the person applied for Thai nationality outside the country.

I was just sharing what the Special Branch police advised me.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

There is such an extension? Wow, that is so stupid.

Yes there is and why would it be stupid.

"In the case of a person who used to have Thai nationality or whose parent is or was of Thai nationality
visiting relatives or returning to his or her original homeland:"

Source" https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_23

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He was Thai from birth. He only needed proof of it which is a Thai birth certificate.

I see. I thought you meant that after getting a Thai passport, he could get a visa extension for a year, which would be ridiculous.

@ubonjoe First off, thank you for your knowledgable help it is appreciated. Just to clarify for everyone, I do currently live in Thailand which should make the next process "less painless". Also....I received my Thai birth certificate an hour after creating the post!!! NOW...from what I understand I need to go and get on a house book (probably might be easiest to get on my Thai uncles). At the same time I can get my Thai ID and apply for my passport at my uncles local amphoe with 2 witnesses. Will I need anything more than my Thai birth certificate to get on house reg, Thai ID and passport? Does it have to be the original Thai birth certificate or can it be a copy?

33 minutes ago, ktg718 said:

First off, thank you for your knowledgable help it is appreciated. Just to clarify for everyone, I do currently live in Thailand which should make the next process "less painless". Also....I received my Thai birth certificate an hour after creating the post!!! NOW...from what I understand I need to go and get on a house book (probably might be easiest to get on my Thai uncles). At the same time I can get my Thai ID and apply for my passport at my uncles local amphoe with 2 witnesses. Will I need anything more than my Thai birth certificate to get on house reg, Thai ID and passport? Does it have to be the original Thai birth certificate or can it be a copy?

Part of the process will be getting a Thai ID number unless your birth certificate has one on it. It would not have one if it was  issued by a embassy. That can be more complicated than being registered in the house book.

You may need witnesses when you go to the Amphoe with your uncle to confirm your identity. Some Amphoes can make it more difficult than it should be. You will need your original birth certificate and copy to give them.

After getting your Thai ID card you will be able to apply for apply for a passport. Info for the application and location of passport offices can be found here. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/10131

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joe's advice is sound. The process for cancelling visas at Immigration is only for people who get naturalised as Thais.  The OP was born Thai but entered the country on a foreign passport due to lack of a Thai passport.  The provision to cancel the visa doesn't apply to him, only people who entered on a foreign passport because they were not Thai at the time.  So he will have to leave the country on the foreign passport to cancel the visa but, as Joe said, it is easy to get one year extensions on the visa, once you have evidence you are Thai. ie. an ID card.

There are many threads about half Thais who have come to Thailand as adults without Thai passport, ID card or house book and want to get all those documents.  Some of the district offices are relatively easy and some make a big song and a dance asking for DNA testing with relatives etc. There have been a lot of ID cards issued to fraudulently, so many officials want to cover their backsides very fully, specially if they are not making any money out of this.  I believe there is even a department of verification of Thai nationality at Immigration for more difficult cases but the OP's case seems fairly straightforward since he has a birth certificate and relatives who can vouch for him.

You can't use your birth certificate for anything much more than getting your ID card.  For travel by air you need a passport or a Thai government issued photo ID card.  A Thai driving licence is OK. 

Being on your uncle's house book is not too bad and if you buy your own house or condo, you can move it to that. In the old days you had to travel to your home province to get a new ID card or to vote.  Nowadays you can do everything where you live.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ktg718 said:

What type of witnesses are required and what is expected of them?

It is best if they are other members of your family such a aunt, cousins and etc. They will basically be there to prove your identity.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 3:53 PM, ktg718 said:

@Arkady @ubonjoe Maybe you guys can help me with this one.. I will go next week to be added to the house registration. What type of witnesses are required and what is expected of them?

How did it go? Am in the same boat but also had to produce parents marriage certificate, etc, and power of attorney stamped by Thai embassy in the US, now on hold. Would love to talk to someone in the same situation as me.

4 hours ago, dylaneitharong said:

How did it go? Am in the same boat but also had to produce parents marriage certificate, etc, and power of attorney stamped by Thai embassy in the US, now on hold. Would love to talk to someone in the same situation as me.

I sent you a direct message with my contact info so we can talk about it more.