Bangkok restaurant closed after owner found to be carrying Covid-19

webfact

Bangkok restaurant closed after owner found to be carrying Covid-19

By THE NATION

800_5138f2c7c673ec2.jpg?v=1583900216

The owner of a Bangkok restaurant has shut down his place after he tested positive for the new coronavirus ( Covid-19).

On Tuesday (March 10), owner of Ohana Poké, a Hawaiian restaurant located in Bangkok’s Lumpini district, posted on the restaurant’s facebook page, @theohanapoke, that he had undergone testing for Covid-19 at Bangkok Christian Hospital and the result was positive. He is now in quarantine at a government hospital, awaiting confirmation on his status.

Immediately after getting the result, he ordered the restaurant manager to close the establishment and inform the building owner of the situation.

He also stated that he had not been to the restaurant after March 6, when he still showed no symptoms of the Covid-19 pneumonia.

The owner posted a picture of his passport and boarding pass departing from Singapore to Bangkok on February 2, indicating that it had been more than one month since he had returned. “If 14 days are the maximum incubation/infection period, I most likely caught it locally in Bangkok,” he said.

88169136_862025937594853_231726401015355

He also added that all his staff had gone to Chulalongkorn Hospital on Tuesday to be examined. They had no symptoms or fever and were sent home for 14 days self-quarantine. He also ordered his restaurant to be fully sanitised during closure.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383839

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-11
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, realfunster said:

If anyone knows, would appreciate an update on CRC building/All Seasons' place and if it is now shut down ? If so, for how long ?

I was in there Saturday evening.

When I came out I noticed that one of the shops had been cordoned off with yellow and black tape. At the same time, all (or many) of the security guards were lined up and having their temperatures taken. I said to my friend at that time "I hope it isn't because of Covid-19"

It seems I may have been right.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

he's done everything correct probably above and beyond what most thai business owners would have done as if it costs one satang then it's a no go. 

sadly,  i may have to cancel his venue for the christmas party.

If I were decision maker for party in December, I think I would be more likely to use his venue. He acted honestly and I bet he will do twice the cleaning (at least) compared to other places that haven't been hit.

Once bitten, twice shy

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

I was stunned that a Thai could be so socially responsible so did some digging.

The owner of the resto is a Singaporean guy called Jaycee Feng.

Makes sense now.

Yeah the admitted until stamps sorta gave it away he may not be a local chap.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

I was stunned that a Thai could be so socially responsible so did some digging.

The owner of the resto is a Singaporean guy called Jaycee Feng.

Makes sense now.

"oh damn it! He's not Thai! How the f e c k are we going to keep this one quiet!"

'he had undergone testing for Covid-19 at Bangkok Christian Hospital and the result was positive. He is now in quarantine at a government hospital, awaiting confirmation on his status.'

There you go. A straight out explanation why the confirmations are so low, but PUIs in hospital are almost 2k. The confirmation must still be done by another lab, or two as mentioned before. And both WHO reference labs are government labs. That's a smoking gun right there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

'he had undergone testing for Covid-19 at Bangkok Christian Hospital and the result was positive. He is now in quarantine at a government hospital, awaiting confirmation on his status.'

There you go. A straight out explanation why the confirmations are so low, but PUIs in hospital are almost 2k. The confirmation must still be done by another lab, or two as mentioned before. And both WHO reference labs are government labs. That's a smoking gun right there.

If Thailand have 2,000 infected and hospitalized patients there should be far more fatalities.  Something is not adding up.

11 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

If Thailand have 2,000 infected and hospitalized patients there should be far more fatalities.  Something is not adding up.

I guess you could count fatalities from the differences between admitted PUI and released somehow. But when they are not confirmed for COVID-19, the cause of death is different.

In any case, there was a message from Italy about how it hit: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8095835/Overwhelmed-Italian-hospitals-running-200-cent-capacity.html

'We have seen the same pattern in different areas a week apart, and there is no reason that in a few weeks it won't be the same everywhere, this is the pattern:

1) A few positive cases, first mild measures, people are told to avoid ED [emergency department] but still hang out in groups, everyone says not to panic. 

2) Some moderate respiratory failures and a few severe ones that need tube, but regular access to ED is significantly reduced so everything looks great. 

3) Tons of patients with moderate respiratory failure, that overtime deteriorate to saturate ICUs [intensive care units] first, then NIVs, then CPAP [continuous positive airway pressure] hoods, then even O2 [oxygen]. 

4) Staff gets sick so it gets difficult to cover for shifts, mortality spikes also from all other causes that can't be treated properly. 

We're at phase 2, like they said. The onset of 3 will be sudden and then the body count start to tick.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

he's done everything correct probably above and beyond what most thai business owners would have done as if it costs one satang then it's a no go. 

sadly,  i may have to cancel his venue for the christmas party.

He did everything he could but something needs to be put into place where anyone associated with food service have regular testing to be certain the are not infected.

25 minutes ago, chama said:

He did everything he could but something needs to be put into place where anyone associated with food service have regular testing to be certain the are not infected.

F&B staff are notoriously overworked, under appreciated and poorly treated by bosses.

There is literally no incentive to admit if you are unwell as pay will be docked for absence.

Hence many just pretend they are fine, until they cannot hide it.

How many bosses would pay a waiter a weeks wages if they had to quarantine themselves?

None.

• Thanks 2