Lazada looking into charge of mask overpricing

snoop1130

Lazada looking into charge of mask overpricing

By THE NATION

800_6bd0fa2a7269521.jpg

Lazada is conducting an internal investigation regarding the Commerce Ministry’s Wednesday (March 11) allegation that protective facemasks were being sold via its online platform at illegal prices.

The Singapore-based company said in a statement that it “always respects local laws, regulations and government policies to ensure our healthy ecosystem”.

Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit ordered that a complaint be filed against Lazada for allegedly allowing sales of inflated-price masks by vendors in Thailand using its platform.

The price of masks and hand-gels came under rigid state control last month in the midst of the virus crisis.

“We have been supporting measures by the Department of Internal Trade to maintain reasonable pricing for essential items, including facemasks,” the company said.

“We are aware of the Minister of Commerce’s comments and are currently conducting an internal investigation.

“We are actively monitoring the Covid-19 situation and new regulations to educate the sellers on our platform. If any seller persists in inflating the prices of masks, Lazada will remove the listing. Should you come across any non-compliant item, please alert our Customer Care at https://www.lazada.co.th/contact.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383935

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-12

image.png.a4a0fe4ec9af8e9bf59ee679c8689a73.png

You may like to compare the price I paid in mid January for N95 9501V+ masks from Lazada with their prices today and the prices being charged by local vendors.

20 baht each.

The version without the respirator was selling at 17 baht each.

THB 509.00

image.png

Edited by Antonymous
  • Haha 1

I just checked Lazada and there are places selling these same masks at ~ 30 baht per mask.  But, they all come from sellers located in China, not Thailand.  I don't think I want them if they come from China!

12 minutes ago, rickb said:

I just checked Lazada and there are places selling these same masks at ~ 30 baht per mask.  But, they all come from sellers located in China, not Thailand.  I don't think I want them if they come from China!

Sorry to inform you, but those that are listed as Thailand, actually also come from China.

Many of the Thai sellers of products like these are actually the same Chinese sellers who setup a local depot for faster delivery, or stock the goods at Lazada's own warehouses.