Thai forex firm disinfects banknotes to fight coronavirus

snoop1130

Thai forex firm disinfects banknotes to fight coronavirus

By Juarawee Kittisilpa

jkiu.PNG

A man sprays disinfectant inside a currency exchange office as prevention after the coronavirus outbreak in Bangkok, Thailand March 13, 2020. REUTERS/Jorge Silva TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A Thai foreign exchange firm is disinfecting banknotes it collects from its branches as a safety precaution for its workers and customers because of the coronavirus outbreak.

The money changer has around 15 branches at popular tourist areas in Bangkok.

“We have to ensure safety for the staff, too. We have solutions to clean and protect our staff,” said Piya Tantivachyanon, chief executive at Super Rich Currency Exchange Company.

“We will send the banknotes upstairs to steam with disinfectant and then seal them in plastic bags,” he said.

Workers sprayed banknotes with disinfectant before sealing them in the plastic bags to be sent to other branches.

Others workers in protective suits also sprayed disinfectant at the Super Rich branch.

The number of coronavirus cases in Thailand rose to 75 on Friday. One person has died of the virus in Thailand. Thirty-five people have recovered and been discharged from hospital.

The head of Germany’s Robert Koch Institute for infectious diseases has said handling banknotes does not pose a particular risk of contracting coronavirus.

But World Health Organisation officials have advised people to wash their hands after handling banknotes.

The Thai firm’s measures were reassuring for its customers.

“I think that all banks and financial institutions or money exchangers should take whatever preventive action they can to minimise the risk for their customers so I think it’s a good idea,” customer Simon Morris said.

Last month, China ordered the disinfection of banknotes to contain the virus outbreak.

“It maybe could help kill germs by just 80% or 90%, but we still have to do it. It’s the best measure we have right now,” Piya said.Thai banking group Bank of Ayudhya Pcl (BAY.BK), on Friday said it would temporarily suspend currency exchange service at its branches and booths until the virus situation improves.

Bank of Ayudhya employees working at foreign exchange booths were instructed to self-quarantine at home for 14 days.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-13
  • Haha 1

My usage of cashless payment options such as GrabPay, PromptPay and contactless card payments has reached an all-time high thanks to the coronavirus.

I'm less worried about cash I pay with, as I could quarantine it after withdrawing it from the ATM and before spending it. It's the change I inevitably get that I'm worried about.

17 hours ago, Caldera said:

My usage of cashless payment options such as GrabPay, PromptPay and contactless card payments has reached an all-time high thanks to the coronavirus.

I'm less worried about cash I pay with, as I could quarantine it after withdrawing it from the ATM and before spending it. It's the change I inevitably get that I'm worried about.

I have a spare acc' you can put the coins in daily if you really don't want them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2020 at 10:54 PM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I suspect you haven't been keeping up with the news. Our beloved and revered health minister has told Thailand (and the world, the idiot), that us foreigners are a dirty bunch of unhygienic scum. All Thais know we are so rich we use the already rusty brown 10 Pound notes as bog roll of course. Because the damn things are plastic now though, a quick rinse and shake off the drips and Voila, our money must be treated as suspicious and designed to infect. Thai money of course is generally paper and hence used to clean things up far less, and is unlikely to be reusable, hence not a problem. To very small minds anyway.

I also saw the comments by Mr Anutin, the silly boy.

Again.

18 hours ago, Caldera said:

you do not have to accept the change, why bother anyway, it is small money

• Haha 1

So .... can I have the name of that money disinfecting  product and where to buy ? As I don't wish it to  infect my pre Corona €'s bill's ,who are safe plastic packed to keep them pristine clean undamaged a few years already ...

Not joking …. however it looks like it I confess ….

Edited by david555

On 3/14/2020 at 9:48 AM, jingjai9 said:

I would venture to guess that cell phones and currency would be the two biggest transmitters of germs.

Saw a cashier girl at my local convenience store, you all know which one I'm talking about, sneeze into her hands 2 evenings ago and then, open the microwave oven to take food out of - WITHOUT so much as even washing her hands!!! 

If she were a carrier, she'd definitely be a much bigger transmitter than all the phones and money . 

I think that's one of the main reasons diseases spread so quickly - complete and utter ignorance. 

41 minutes ago, djayz said:

Saw a cashier girl at my local convenience store, you all know which one I'm talking about, sneeze into her hands 2 evenings ago and then, open the microwave oven to take food out of - WITHOUT so much as even washing her hands!!! 

If she were a carrier, she'd definitely be a much bigger transmitter than all the phones and money . 

I think that's one of the main reasons diseases spread so quickly - complete and utter ignorance. 

Yeah it's basically like I said in the panic buying thread. The more you stock up the more you bring the virus in with you. Those boxes of warm Chang you bought at Tesco that have been sneezed on... nothing more soothing than a nice Chang and the piece of mind you are well stocked.