Upgrading to fiber internet from DSL, is it always worth it?

Jingthing

OK, I have had DSL through my phone line for many years. When it's working which is most of the time, the speed meets my needs which are fairly typical but not any gaming.

But that's old technology.

Now I have the opportunity to get a fiber connection which I understand is supposed to be more stable and if I pay a lot more I can get much higher speeds, that I actually don't need because like I said I'm satisfied with what I've got speed wise, so what's the point?

Yes there is an initial expense to start with the fiber but that's no big deal. But I don't really see that much everyday computing experience will be much different after it's installed.

So I'm struggling a bit with a justification to bother. The main reason I can see is that I would then have the newer technology and wouldn't have to worry about the old technology being phased out or supported more poorly in the future.

I'm probably missing something. If so, please fill me in.

I realize if you're a speed freak (like your big download MUST be done in two seconds vs. five minutes) then you won't be able to relate to my POV.

I'm just not too much into hype. 

I've got Fiber Optic Internet since a couple of years and pay 750 baht per month to TOT.

It does make all down and uploads much faster and also connects websites way faster than the older technology did.

As a newby you can ask for some specials I wouldn't get as an old customer.

All in all, it was one of the best decisions I've made regarding internet and PC technology.

Once you've got it for a while, you don't want to lose it. There's not much justification other than pretty soon, there'll be Fiber internet only. 

Another very positive aspect is that I never had problems that i couldn't use my internet.

With the older technology there were many days where I had to wait hours, sometimes days if there was a technical problem.

A "friend told me" that he downloaded a 1.5 GB movie in only four seconds. Of course it depends on the amount of seeders.

Then let's get to video streaming. With Fiber, no problem. 

This technology seems to be more reliable. Go for it. Cheers.

Edited by Isaanbiker

5 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

You've answered your own question(s), this post is a waste of time!

I thought I might have but posted it in case there were factors that I wasn't considering. But you're welcome to exit the thread.

• Like 1

On the connection stability thing, well I recently had a very long outage and major headaches dealing with getting it fixed but that kind of problem is very unusual in my experience. Sometimes I go months without the connection being down at all, or usually when it is it's like for a few hours or a day at most. Of course that wouldn't be OK for a day trader or something like that, but that isn't me. But I suppose it's confirmed that the stability of the service would be an improvement even though the DSL level is mostly acceptable to me, but definitely not close to perfect.

Like I said speed of downloads doesn't concern me in the slightest. What I have is more than fast enough for my needs.

As far as video streaming which I use a lot, youtube and live television, my current service performs that very well. No complaints at all.

So unless someone has something else, I guess my initial impression that upgrading is a way of "future proofing" my access would be the main reason for me to consider doing this.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Fiber is one company (not other phone line issues).  Fiber is always there (much less outage).  Fiber often includes a landline phone connection at no extra cost.  Fiber is not cut off when the local phone worker goes to work in connection box.  Fiber offers options for TV.  Fiber speed is something you want once you have.  Fiber is today.  Fiber is not evil.

But no you do not have to pay high costs for highest speed service - the normal package should be fine.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Fiber is one company (not other phone line issues).  Fiber is always there (much less outage).  Fiber often includes a landline phone connection at no extra cost.  Fiber is not cut off when the local phone worker goes to work in connection box.  Fiber offers options for TV.  Fiber speed is something you want once you have.  Fiber is today.  Fiber is not evil.

But no you do not have to pay high costs for highest speed service - the normal package should be fine.

I had VDSL or whatever they called it from True which ended up at 100 up and 50 down from memory. They then recently offered a Fee upgrade to Fiber so still paying 641 baht a month (inc vat). I have noticed no difference on speed and if anything some issues over dropped connections at times and reduced speeds at peak weekend periods.

@Jingthing if your only thought is future proofing why bother if you have to pay more - eventually they should upgrade you anyway or as another poster said compare deals from other suppliers - if you can use them?

31 minutes ago, topt said:

I had VDSL or whatever they called it from True which ended up at 100 up and 50 down from memory. They then recently offered a Fee upgrade to Fiber so still paying 641 baht a month (inc vat). I have noticed no difference on speed and if anything some issues over dropped connections at times and reduced speeds at peak weekend periods.

@Jingthing if your only thought is future proofing why bother if you have to pay more - eventually they should upgrade you anyway or as another poster said compare deals from other suppliers - if you can use them?

I also use True at same price (but package with TV so total more) and speed is 200 up and down and solid in country - outside can vary but that is true of any provider.  Have been using fiber for almost 4 years now and it is always there and working.  

Yes Yes Yes!

Zero problems with fibre, landlines you are at the mercy of TOT, CAT and the rest of the alphabet soup providers, and in my case, the incompetent chans at our mu ban, to whom the aforementioned delegate line maintenance! Fortunately they neither have nor understand the equipment necessary to join optical fibre cables, so they don't tinker.

This after two months of my landline being connected to some other bustards' phone, running up premium numbers, while I have no service!

Others here have debated the pros and cons, we are with 3bb and from memory we switched to fiber at no extra cost some time ago

We have seen an improvement and it is more reliable.

I watch TV from overseas and it has definitely improved although I do pay more for a higher speed