Bangkok and the virus: Major downtown shopping center deserted, shoppers in Tesco instead

webfact

Bangkok and the virus: Major downtown shopping center deserted, shoppers in Tesco instead

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News//Facebook Parinya Newws

Daily News reported that economic activity in Thailand - especially shopping in major department stores - was plummeting as effects of the coronavirus outbreak  worsened. 

The situation is now escalating, they said. 

To make their point they shared pictures from a Facebook user called Parinya Premchai who posted pictures from a deserted Siam Paragon on Sunday. 

The huge Pathumwan department store - one of the most famous and well-visited in Thailand - was deserted and devoid of both foreigners and Thais. 

5pm2.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The post caused much comment with others saying the same was true of Central Chidlom a couple of kilometers further down the way in the direction of Sukhumvit Road.

A Thaivisa reporter in the northern part of the city notes that the streets and major stores were strangely quiet yesterday - but Tesco Lotus in Lad Prao was doing a roaring trade in the evening with lines ten deep of people stocking up on food and essential items. 

Villa Market in Ratchayothin had far more customers than usual yet a McDonalds outlet was all but empty save for a lone Grab guy collecting a delivery. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-16
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Open a new shop selling toilet paper in the middle and it'll be packed.

I have a few rolls. Might start selling them for 10 baht a sheet on Lazada.

And no .....that is not a typo.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am headed to Bangkok! Sounds like an utterly delightful week, to spend time there.

Supposed to be heading back to Bangkok next Monday after a 3 week tour around the islands but my mate is saying the local supermarket (On Nut Lotus/Tops) are rammed & starting to see empty shelves.

Will see if I can arrange online delivery for the day after I’m due to get back, if not just take my time & meander from Koh Samui across to Surat Thani then up the Coast stopping at places on the way.

Went yesterday to ICONSIAM and was prepared to see it emptier than usual. What I saw was truly shocking!

- the apple shop had 4 customers. 30 employees were sitting around in groups and playing with their phones.

- After You Dessert Cafe, where you usually have to wait 15-20min to get a seat on a Sunday was deserted. 1 table was occupied.

- the restaurants on the top floor had 0-10% occupancy rate. Employees again in groups chatting and playing with their phones.

- 90% of the few tourist I saw where the Russian tour-groups 

Sunday is THE shopping day for Thai people, as they enjoy walking around with their families, so I can imagine how empty it will be during the week. With all respect to the virus. If it continues like that ( and it will), many will loose their jobs in the next 1-3 months. No need for a restaurant to staff 10 people, if there are max 2-3 tables to be served at the same time.

Edited by SpanishExpat

33 minutes ago, Denim said:

I have a few rolls. Might start selling them for 10 baht a sheet on Lazada.

And no .....that is not a typo.

I will beat you for the price by 50%. Here is the caveat though, they might be used.

• Haha 2