DIY Face Masks Using Filtrette

saengd

Because we couldn't find face masks/respirators my wife decided to make her own, there's loads of video's on the subject on YouTube for those who are interested. The masks she has made are a good fit and seal against the face around the edges, they are made from heavy duty cotton material and contains a pouch for removable filter material. My question now is what filter material to use. I had initially thought that 3M Filtrette might work, we have several boxes and it is rated for virus capture. Can anyone think of why it wouldn't be suitable?

Another option is any MERV13 filter which is used for some household appliances such as air con units, I haven't checked Global House yet but I'm sure the material can be found.

Thanks in  advance for any useful constructive replies.

• Like 2

You can buy disposable PM2.5 mask inserts on lazada.

Never worked with filtrete but you need to check whether it sheds particulates after you cut to fit into a mask.  You shoukd also check whether you can breathe thru it comfortably before you wear them out.

Lastly, as I keep saying, carrying & wearing disposable nitrile gloves will do mlre to prevent infection than a mask will.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

You can buy disposable PM2.5 mask inserts on lazada.

Never worked with filtrete but you need to check whether it sheds particulates after you cut to fit into a mask.  You shoukd also check whether you can breathe thru it comfortably before you wear them out.

Lastly, as I keep saying, carrying & wearing disposable nitrile gloves will do mlre to prevent infection than a mask will.

Thanks for the tip. I think the filtrette solution should work, the filter is totally encased in a cotton envelope so even if it does shed any fragments should still be contained.