Glue and Sealants etc

CharlieH

Has anyone got any tips n tricks to keep glue and sealant etc alive ?

I was hoping someone can help.

I dont want to keep it the fridge, but every time it just hardens in the workshop due to Thai heat and then ends up being thrown away. 

Glue , wood adhesive, sealant you name it, it just goes rock hard and ends in the bin, such a waste and really annoying as it always happens when you need it !! 

Thanks

• Like 1

For mastic tubes and the like, i tend to push a 2" flat head nail into the nozzle or a small screw .It stops it drying out inparticularly the end.

Very important with silicone. Pulled a wobbly cone of silicone out many times.

I do have a proprietory nozzle cap that you screw on, despite no thread. But I find they are not good really.

Wet glue like Elmers goes into a plastic bag, wrapped up, has worked ok but i suppose it all depends how long you dont use it for

• Like 1

I know about the superglue family etc and those are very small and I do keep those in the fridge.

The sealants etc were all brand new tubes I bought and  put in for "stcok" and all six tubes (3 x 2 different colors) went in the bin, rock solid. 

The wood glue was Gorilla brand and in a plastic bottle, the top was sealed off but just went to unusable jelly ! 

7 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I know about the superglue family etc and those are very small and I do keep those in the fridge.

The sealants etc were all brand new tubes I bought and  put in for "stcok" and all six tubes (3 x 2 different colors) went in the bin, rock solid. 

The wood glue was Gorilla brand and in a plastic bottle, the top was sealed off but just went to unusable jelly ! 

Thailand's heat probably has something to do with shelf life. I usually buy fresh from a store with high turnover, and use immediately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

The cyanoacrylate (superglue) will slowly harden in the fridge while in the freezer you can multiply the life by a lot. They are the only ones that are OK in the freezer 

The wood glue that doesn’t go off is TOA. The American brands are overpriced. You can also use the powder glue though I don’t know the shelf life.

• Thanks 1