German government continues demining, social support

geovalin

The German government has contributed an additional $3.5 million in aid to support demining and social recovery efforts in the Kingdom’s northwestern area until 2021. German Ambassador Christian Berger in a statement today said a signing ceremony was held with Ly Thuch, first vice president of the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority, on a minefield in O’Smach commune in Oddar Meanchey province.

“Mines are a legacy of an agonising past and remain an impediment to development,” Mr Berger said. “We, the Royal Government and international partners, need to step up our efforts to achieve the goal to declare Cambodia mine-free by 2025.”

IMG_7426.jpg A Halo Trust representatives brief a delegation. Halo Trust

“Germany is committed to continue supporting mine clearance activities in the country,” he added. There were 77 mine-related incidents last year, up 33 percent compared with 58 in 2018, according to CMAA. It said there were a dozen casualties in 2019, up from 10 the previous year, adding 65 people were injured last year, up from 48 the previous year.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50703108/german-government-gives-3-5-million-for-demining-in-cambodias-northwest/

• Like 2