Second hand car buy - Vehicle inspection service?

Andyfez

I'm thinking of buying a second hand car in Bangkok.

Are there any vehicle inspection services to check the car over before I buy it?

I appreciate that money can go under the table, but I know nothing about cars.

Any advice?

4 hours ago, Kurtf said:

Since Thai people have absolutely zero understanding of preventative maintenance, I would be hesitant to buy a used vehicle from a Thai. Period. More than likely they have never changed the oil. 

Sadly folk do have to think like that in this country.......????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, malathione said:

Tim at Siam Motor World used to offer an inspection service but I no longer see it listed on their website. Perhaps you could contact them and ask.

Would have been my first port of call as well. Even if he doesn't do it himself, I'm sure he'll know a man who knows a man.

Edited by a10ams
  • Like 1

There used to be a company called " Test Car" in Bangkok.  When I was looking for a second hand car, I sent 3 or 4 cars over to be inspected.  They had machines that checked alignment, whether the frame was straight, a dyno etc. They also hand inspected the rest of the car looking for issues.  They were doing a good business, so I would think they would still be around.

On 3/19/2020 at 1:48 PM, Kwasaki said:

That five seconds took you to a site that provides inspections on returning leased vehicles for dealers and condition certification for used car dealers stock being sold to the public.   He wants a private inspection service for buyers, something that Google's first couple of pages doesn't help with.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2020 at 8:42 AM, Kurtf said:

Since Thai people have absolutely zero understanding of preventative maintenance, I would be hesitant to buy a used vehicle from a Thai. Period. More than likely they have never changed the oil. 

That would explain why Thai dealers' service centres are so busy, and profitable, yes?

"I would be hesitant to buy a used vehicle from a Thai".

Bearing in mind that this is Thailand with more than 14,000,000 cars and pickups and only a tiny percentage being owned by non-Thais, what do you think the chances are of the OP finding what he wants that has not been owned by a Thai? 

"Since Thai people have absolutely zero understanding of preventative maintenance...".

As evidenced by what?

Edited by Just Weird

On 3/20/2020 at 1:41 PM, transam said:
On 3/20/2020 at 8:42 AM, Kurtf said:

Sadly folk do have to think like that in this country.......

That is not specific to Thailand, Thailand is not the only country where that should be borne in mind.

On 3/19/2020 at 9:29 AM, Andyfez said:

I'm thinking of buying a second hand car in Bangkok.

Are there any vehicle inspection services to check the car over before I buy it?

Many cars on one2car.com are available with a downloadable inspection report but you'll need to be able to read Thai, or rely on Google Translate.

Search the cars you want then, from the filters, click "more", then "show cars with" and click "cars with inspection report".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

That five seconds took you to a site that provides inspections on returning leased vehicles for dealers and condition certification for used car dealers stock being sold to the public.   He wants a private inspection service for buyers, something that Google's first couple of pages doesn't help with.

Well if they won't help OP can ask the seller to go with him to Cockpit and get it checked out.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:
On 3/19/2020 at 11:44 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

You could take the car to a main dealer and have them check it.

How would you seriously be able to do that with a car sitting on a used car site?

Last time I checked, I found that cars were capable of being driven to other places.

The problem will be liability.

Doubt any car from a dealer has more than basic insurance.

IF you had an accident on the way to whoever is inspecting it, how would the dealer be compensated ?

That - I imagine - is why it does not leave their lot until sale is final, book in your name, THEN you are responsible

On 3/20/2020 at 9:05 AM, Isaanbiker said:

No signed original copy of last owner's ID, no buy. 

I was there. Not a pleasurable event when ex- owner now lives somewhere else in another country. 

Is pretty common among used car dealers to just forge the signature when this happens.

The owner as written in the blue book needs to have a signed copy of their ID card and house book along with a signed copy of the vehicle transfer papers.

I have seen that when the original owner can’t be present to sign those papers, the copies of the documents are emailed or sent via the line app, printed and then a signature can ‘materialise’ quite easily allowing the car to be sold and transferred effortlessly. 

18 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:
On 3/23/2020 at 3:56 PM, Just Weird said:
On 3/19/2020 at 11:44 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

You could take the car to a main dealer and have them check it.

How would you seriously be able to do that with a car sitting on a used car site?

Last time I checked, I found that cars were capable of being driven to other places.

"Last time that you checked" did  you also find that used car dealers generally allow their cars to be driven away to a franchised dealer (who sells used cars also) for a technical inspection?  How many times have you witnessed that happening in Thailand?

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:
On 3/23/2020 at 4:06 PM, Just Weird said:

Well if they won't help OP can ask the seller to go with him to Cockpit and get it checked out.

Have you ever met a used car dealer?  If you could find that exceptionally helpful used car dealer, is that a service that Cockpit offers?

53 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Have you ever met a used car dealer?  If you could find that exceptionally helpful used car dealer, is that a service that Cockpit offers?

Don't know where you live but if the seller wants to sell the car why would they object, Cockpit will will do anything for you where I live for a small charge  

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:
1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

...if the seller wants to sell the car why would they object

Can't imagine, can't imagine that you're that naïve either!  Maybe the same reason that some tests drives are so short?