Savannakhet Consulate reported to have stopped issuing tourist visas

Chili Davies has reported that everyone is being refused Tourist visas at the Royal Thai Consulate at Savannakhet:

Reported 17/3/20 on Facebook group: 'Expats In Isaan / Northeast Thailand':

https://www.facebook.com/groups/965164143512861/?multi_permalinks=3335995356429716&notif_id=1584433167189883&notif_t=group_highlights&ref=notif

"Posted by Jonathan Smith

17 March 21.47

I must do a Visa run soon to Savannakhet.
I've been informed that when I arrive, I must spend 14 days in quarantine in Laos.
Does anyone have any information regarding this?

Hey Guys,

I was just at the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet. They refused my Non-B application, stating that they are "only processing Non-O type visas as of this morning". They recommended that I contact the Thai Embassy in Vientiane immediately to ask if they would still process my Non-B (which I did...they won't either). The consulate also said they have no idea how long this will last.

Does anyone have any advice about how to get back to Thailand from Laos right now? Am I going to have to stay stuck in Laos indefinately?

Thanks all,

Kayla

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, KaylaC said:

Does anyone have any advice about how to get back to Thailand from Laos right now? Am I going to have to stay stuck in Laos indefinately?

If you are eligible for visa exempt entry, immediately go to the bridge and see if you are allowed back into Thailand before the newly announced conditions go into effect. Do not delay.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

30 day visa exempt across the bridge?

I haven't seen it for myself but apparently Thailand has closed the SVK Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge. You can't get through without a visa and that's also why you can't apply for a visa here in SVK any longer.

I'm wondering if flying to Bangkok might work? Anyone know anything about the airports?

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you are eligible for visa exempt entry, immediately go to the bridge and see if you are allowed back into Thailand before the newly announced conditions go into effect. Do not delay.

Thanks for the advice. I guess that's the only way to find out but I'm scared that if I exit Laos and get refused by Thailand I might also get refused back into Laos.

Edited by KaylaC

First, check with the Thai/Laos Friendship bus driver(s) and/or ticket office at the bus station to find out what is happening at the bridge and what happens now with farangs refused entry to Thailand. If required, try and find someone to translate. I doubt that they will allow u to board a bus if its not possible for u to enter Thailand. Second: Go to the bridge (on the bus) and ask Laos immigration on exit, if you will be allowed back into Laos if refused entry to Thailand. They can hardly leave someone stuck on the bridge. Good luck Kayla!

Edited by SunsetT

i just spoke with an individual at savannakhet consulate by phone after trying for days.

they have indicated that they will be issuing non immigrant o visa monday, no non imigrant b, I neglected to ask about METV, They seemed to believe anyone with a non o should be allowed back in to thailand, but were non-committal.

requirement for non o remain unchanged save the addition of the medical certificate, however the certificate MUST be less than 72 hours old and issued by a hospital. They claim a bangkok hosputal is ok, but clinic will not do.

i was unable to get to mukdahan on time to submit today and am now travelling sunday. sigh.

Caveat: you must have a visa already to cross into laos. as of yesterday the Laos consulate in bangkok was issuing them and seemed convinced they would be accepted for the next few days for what that is worth.

Edited by metempsychotic
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

First, check with the Thai/Laos Friendship bus driver(s) and/or ticket office at the bus station to find out what is happening at the bridge

Indeed. I recall reading, but can't remember exactly where, that Friendship Bridge was the only remaining open access point between Laos and Thailand. Unfortunately, that may now be ancient history.

4 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

i just spoke with an individual at savannakhet consulate by phone after trying for days.

they have indicated that they will be issuing non immigrant o visa monday, no non imigrant b, I neglected to ask about METV, They seemed to believe anyone with a non o should be allowed back in to thailand, but were non-committal.

requirement for non o remain unchanged save the addition of the medical certificate, however the certificate MUST be less than 72 hours old and issued by a hospital. They claim a bangkok hosputal is ok, but clinic will not do.

i was unable to get to mukdahan on time to submit today and am now travelling sunday. sigh.

Do you have a Laos visa , as they have stopped issuing them 

1 hour ago, KaylaC said:

I'm wondering if flying to Bangkok might work? Anyone know anything about the airports?

Avoid DMK and Suvabubhumi if you can and you will need a certificate of health and insurance in relation to corona  

17 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Caveat: you must have a visa already to cross into laos. as of yesterday the Laos consulate in bangkok was issuing them and seemed convinced they would be accepted for the next few days for what that is worth.

Wow. Thanks. That sounds terrible. Best of luck. 

As I understand the latest CAAT advice, it is your whereabouts for fourteen days prior to arrival which determines whether or not you need a COVID-19 certificate and health insurance - not your nationality. So you may be in luck flying in, if you can prove that you have not been in one of the proscribed countries in the last two weeks:

https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Summary-of-Practical-Guidelines-for-Air-Operators-19Mar20-1.pdf

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

aye, i thought i had seen everything visa wise, this is next level

Gotta thank the Chinese for their present. I'm wondering why the Thai government isn't interfering.

I don't understand why only Non-O's?/Are they out of their minds now?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

As I understand the latest CAAT advice, it is your whereabouts for fourteen days prior to arrival which determines whether or not you need a COVID-19 certificate and health insurance - not your nationality. So you may be in luck flying in, if you can prove that you have not been in one of the proscribed countries in the last two weeks:

https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Summary-of-Practical-Guidelines-for-Air-Operators-19Mar20-1.pdf

The problem might be that these regulations seem to change by the hour!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KaylaC said:

Thanks for the advice. I guess that's the only way to find out but I'm scared that if I exit Laos and get refused by Thailand I might also get refused back into Laos.

You will not be stamped out of Laos if Thailand will not admit you. Getting to the bridge is quick and cheap. Do not rely on rumours. Go and find out for yourself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

First, check with the Thai/Laos Friendship bus driver(s) and/or ticket office at the bus station to find out what is happening at the bridge and what happens now with farangs refused entry to Thailand. If required, try and find someone to translate. I doubt that they will allow u to board a bus if its not possible for u to enter Thailand. Second: Go to the bridge (on the bus) and ask Laos immigration on exit, if you will be allowed back into Laos if refused entry to Thailand. They can hardly leave someone stuck on the bridge. Good luck Kayla!

30 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Avoid DMK and Suvabubhumi if you can and you will need a certificate of health and insurance in relation to corona  

@SunsetT thank you for your advice and best wishes.

@sanemax thank you for answering that question. Do you perhaps know what would happen if I just showed up at DMK or BKK without the insurance but with a certificate of health I got today from Savannakhet hospital and with all the paperwork I was ready to submit for my Non-B visa application? Surely they have to understand I was in Thailand for a long time already and only left to get this Thai visa? Or would they not really care?