Phangan Power Source

Someone told me that all of Koh Phangan is run on gas generators because there is no power plant. Is that true? I can't imagine how much that must cost to run if it is. I've never seen anywhere on the island the source of electricity. Can anyone here enlighten me?

They used it last year when they were servicing the underwater cable. It has been out of service for quite some time but is still usable.

As for the unreliability of the underwater cable, well, girlx, you weren't here when the island did run off those big diesel generators. Lets just say that by the time the power reached our place in Ban Kai it wasn't strong enough to turn on the fluorescent lights. We had "boosters" plugged into the line but if everyone had their boosters jacked up, the power still didn't make it that far. I'll take the "unreliability" of the underwater cable any day, thanks.

BTW, just as a bit of info, during storms, the cable is "turned off" either here or in Samui as they can't really afford a lightning strike to blow it out. And find it much cheaper to inconvenience people for a while instead. :o

during storms, the cable is "turned off" either here or in Samui as they can't really afford a lightning strike to blow it out. And find it much cheaper to inconvenience people for a while instead.

hmm, is there no backup then?

I hate to use this cliche, but this is Thailand. Backup??

Just for an example, there is only one Xray technician at the hospital here on Koh Phangan. If he's gone, no xray as no one else can do it. There is only one phone tech for TT&T for the island. If something major goes, he waits for the rest of the team to come out from the mainland. There is one speedboat for the hospital for serious emergency cases. last I heard, it was sitting on the sand. Maybe something is wrong with it.

Backup???

• 2 weeks later...