Hua Hin Bars Flouting Closure Instructions & Restaurants Taking Advantage

mikosan

As a result of the COVID-19 crisis, as of Wednesday 19th March, all bars in Hua Hin were ordered to close, at the moment until 1st April. That date, I imagine, is fluid, dependent upon the ongoing crisis and we also know that it is April Fools Day.  Whether we like it or not, this is a sensible decision and one that should be respected and adhered to, even though, sadly, it is going to cause many extreme hardship.

Unfortunately, it seems that a number of bar owners are ignoring this instruction and opening.  Furthermore, whilst restaurants, at this time, have no such instructions, many are simply taking the opportunity to serve alcohol to customers, with no requirement to purchase food.  So, basically, replacing the bars that have been forced to shut.

Surely this defeats the purpose of the exercise, but not only that, it denies many Thais employed in the bars that have obeyed the instructions, the opportunity to earn a living, whilst others do so.

I am hearing rumours of discontent at this extremely unfair situation.  So what are the authorities going to do about it?  I would like to see them out, strictly enforcing the closures and rules, but then I'd also like to be a millionaire and there is little likelihood of either.

Is there a hotline for reporting breaches, as there is for many other things?

I await the usual negative responses, but hope for some constructive ones as well. 

Edited by mikosan
Spelling error

Hello,

I agree with you.
We just moved the problem.
Ditto for the markets. Why are we closing Cicada and Tamarin and not the markets in all of HH.
Why are we closing schools and universities and not kindergartens.
Since the decision to close the schools, the 2 kindergartens near my home have welcomed the children.
I don't know what it will be on Monday.

We closed our bar on Thursday as per instructions. Then yesterday drove around soi 94 to see several bars open.

While we have to close, and we seat about 34 people, the large food court at the end of our soi is still open for business, and they seat over 200. I guess it all depends who owns what in this town.

It was the same last year, when a member of the Royal family visited, the police came round at the last minute and ordered all bars to close. This was at 7p.m. Close immediately, and we had to throw everyone out and shut shop. Again, the food court down the road stayed open, serving drink and with a live band until about midnight......go figure......

I can also see this closure going on past first April for the simple fact that, although Songkran has been cancelled, if bars are open crazy people will throw water around. No bars, no water fights.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

We closed our bar on Thursday as per instructions. Then yesterday drove around soi 94 to see several bars open.

While we have to close, and we seat about 34 people, the large food court at the end of our soi is still open for business, and they seat over 200. I guess it all depends who owns what in this town.

It was the same last year, when a member of the Royal family visited, the police came round at the last minute and ordered all bars to close. This was at 7p.m. Close immediately, and we had to throw everyone out and shut shop. Again, the food court down the road stayed open, serving drink and with a live band until about midnight......go figure......

I can also see this closure going on past first April for the simple fact that, although Songkran has been cancelled, if bars are open crazy people will throw water around. No bars, no water fights.

Firstly a correction to my original post, post #1.  As you correctly mention above the bars were ordered shut on Thursday 19th March, not Wednesday 19th, a typo.  That corrected, I sympathise with you.  Seems to be one rule for some, one for others.  It's the restaurants that are taking the p*** and serving alcohol as if they were bars, i.e. without serving food, that really annoy me.  It's simply not fair on the bar owners who comply with the instructions.   I saw one last night having a big birthday party, I think there was a bit of a buffet, but basically it was a bar, with lots of people getting drunk.  Why are the authorities not clamping down on these?

Edited by mikosan
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

Oh! the nice little soldier, but beware, I will check this evening if your bar is really closed.
In any case, for a few evenings, more music until 2 a.m. in the neighborhood.
The dogs have taken over.
  Night owls wander desperately in search of a bar.

• Confused 3

On 3/21/2020 at 10:23 AM, mikosan said:

Firstly a correction to my original post, post #1.  As you correctly mention above the bars were ordered shut on Thursday 19th March, not Wednesday 19th, a typo.  That corrected, I sympathise with you.  Seems to be one rule for some, one for others.  It's the restaurants that are taking the p*** and serving alcohol as if they were bars, i.e. without serving food, that really annoy me.  It's simply not fair on the bar owners who comply with the instructions.   I saw one last night having a big birthday party, I think there was a bit of a buffet, but basically it was a bar, with lots of people getting drunk.  Why are the authorities not clamping down on these?

Its  like DONT  BURN, had the head  of  village come round ask  us  not to burn, we  obliged, then down the road 150metres  away neighbour  burns  his  sugar  cane, another  burns  his pineapples  oh yeah we  would  get fined  he  said if we  did...........now  1  month later theyre  still at it, its  not  like u can hide a black field, easy for anyone to see.

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i would say the town is pretty much shut down now across the board.

I would agree.  Still annoying that many restaurants took advantage of the situation and basically turned into bars for the extra 6 days grace they were given.  I suspect lockdown will continue until the end of April, when to add to the financial strain, it will be low season, one which most were already expecting to be very bad and many places will never reopen their doors.

Personally, I will encourage friends and I will go to bar owners and restaurateurs, the most friendly and welcoming.
which is not won in Hua Hin, because they are mouths.
Just follow some owners on this forum, and that I know, to have the proof.
Same good mood in life as on the small screen.