What Do You Do In Los?

Guemlum

Hi all....I'm curious as to how and what made you decide to give up the homeland and settle in LOS.

Ill give you a little insight as to how I came to fall in love with LOS.

I initially came to Thailand as an extension to my 12 month around the world trip. I took this trip a little later in life at the age of 30. Upon returning to the UK, I knew that I wanted to return to SE Asia and do something more worthwhile and fullfilling, so decided to jump on the volunteering train for 6 months up in the Nongkhai province. Once there, I helped set up a new IT centre and designed a curriculum for Basic Computing Skills and 3 levels of Photoshop. The majority of my students were from poor farming familys who at never used a computer or let alone knew what a mouse was. However, after 3 months of teaching, some of my students went on to secure jobs using computers, or advanced in their current employment. Quite and achievement considering some of those had left school at 9 years of age and farmed buffalo's.

News of this centre spread fast and was honoured with a visit from the "Minister for Adult Education", news reporters and TV film crews, who were very impressed with the courses I had designed.

Whilst living and volunteering in Isaan, I met my GF, and have been together for almost 2 years now. Some of you will be aware that we have recently been sucessfull in getting a tourist visa for her to visit the UK.

Upon leaving Thailand, I have returned several times to spend time with my gf and her family and my parents have visited Thailand on 2 seperate occasions to meet and holiday with my gf. I have now made the decision to stay in UK permanently, and holiday in Thailand as often as my job allows.

However, I would love to stay and live in Thailand permanently, but the only option for me is to earn the money here in order to provide for later on in life in Thailand. I'm only 34, so still quite young, and certainly dont have enough money to just throw in the towel back here. Not on the property ladder yet, due to the increasing cost of living here so I dont have the security of knowing a mortgage would be paid for by renting out whilst away. I'm not sure if there is a requirement for carpentry and shopfitting work in Thailand, but if there is, I'm sure its not as well paid as it is back home.

So what do you all do for work? Does any of the circumstances above sound familiar? Would you just pack up and move to Thailand?

Guemlum

Hi all....I'm curious as to how and what made you decide to give up the homeland and settle in LOS.

I initially came to Thailand as an extension to my 12 month around the world trip. I took this trip a little later in life at the age of 30. Upon returning to the UK, I knew that I wanted to return to SE Asia and do something more worthwhile and fullfilling, so decided to jump on the volunteering train for 6 months up in the Nongkhai province. Once there, I helped set up a new IT centre and designed a curriculum for Basic Computing Skills and 3 levels of Photoshop. The majority of my students were from poor farming familys who at never used a computer or let alone knew what a mouse was. However, after 3 months of teaching, some of my students went on to secure jobs using computers, or advanced in their current employment. Quite and achievement considering some of those had left school at 9 years of age and farmed buffalo's.

News of this centre spread fast and was honoured with a visit from the "Minister for Adult Education", news reporters and TV film crews, who were very impressed with the courses I had designed.

Whilst living and volunteering in Isaan, I met my GF, and have been together for almost 2 years now. Some of you will be aware that we have recently been sucessfull in getting a tourist visa for her to visit the UK.

Upon leaving Thailand, I have returned several times to spend time with my gf and her family and my parents have visited Thailand on 2 seperate occasions to meet and holiday with my gf. I have now made the decision to stay in UK permanently, and holiday in Thailand as often as my job allows.

However, I would love to stay and live in Thailand permanently, but the only option for me is to earn the money here in order to provide for later on in life in Thailand. I'm only 34, so still quite young, and certainly dont have enough money to just throw in the towel back here. Not on the property ladder yet, due to the increasing cost of living here so I dont have the security of knowing a mortgage would be paid for by renting out whilst away. I'm not sure if there is a requirement for carpentry and shopfitting work in Thailand, but if there is, I'm sure its not as well paid as it is back home.

So what do you all do for work? Does any of the circumstances above sound familiar? Would you just pack up and move to Thailand?

Guemlum

Good post i am relocating to Thailand this year, i am 43 next Monday, my wife has been living in the UK for 11 years, she has now had enough of the place and so have i, running your own Business now is nothing but a Headache, i am in the retail Business, Newsagents, so you been a shopfitter know the hardwork involved, up at 5 every morning home 7 to 7.30 at night, watch a couple of soaps, then to bed, this is no life, luckly i am just in the middle of selling for a good sum of money, also the wife and i have a house and other property in Buriram, we built the house in 2000, i will have to stay here in the UK for about 3 months after the sale as we are building another house to rent out.

The UK is a beautifull country, the problem is the people who are running it, they are forcing the brits to move out, spain, thailand, ect, because of all this red tape etc, i think in a few years time the way they are giving away all this money to incomers and people on benifits the country will be bankrupt.

Edited by Thaicoon

I am retired mostly. I travel about quite a bit and have several long term projects that keep me busy, but not too busy. I do virtually nothing that can lead to stress. I have not visited my homeland since I left it 5 years ago and don't think about it very much either.

Work in the oil and gas industry world wide.

Wouldn't dream of returning to live in the Scottish highlands even if it is the place of my birth and one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

Life is so stress free here.

The UK is a beautifull country, the problem is the people who are running it, they are forcing the brits to move out, spain, thailand, ect, because of all this red tape etc, i think in a few years time the way they are giving away all this money to incomers and people on benifits the country will be bankrupt.

I'm glad you're leaving the UK.

I'm sorry you're coming to Thailand.

Quemlum toooooo many of your circumstances sound familiar. i'm 30 years young, living in Hertfordshire too and fell hopelessly in love with LOS last June on my first visit. Since then I've been 2 more times and back out again in 7 weeks time for 3 1/2 weeks and again hopefully in September. I love everything about the place and cant wait for the day I can go there permenantly. I do shift work which pays well and gives me lots of days off if i plan correctly and has allowed me to get on the property ladder 4 years ago. I love my own space but currently rent out 2 rooms to friends and thats covering the mortgage and the plan is to pay that off asap and move ot LOS and live off the rental income I'll have coming in from UK. Am selling my bike and car as I feel its one step closer to my new goal and they're things I dont actually need at present... I'm in a job where for every year you work they make it harder for you to leave, with financial benefits, shares etc. but at the same time i'm wishing my years away thinking 'ooooh in 5 years time i'll get X amount through tax free'. What if I get to 65, a huuuuuuge bank balance retire on a Friday afternoon and keel over dead on the Monday, my first day of freedom?

I'm currently weighing up the pro's and con's of doing 6 to 9 months in LOS, then 6 months back here working my nuts off doing anything thats well paid (I done my LGV a few years ago and nightwork pays well even through agencies)..

I'm looking forward to spending my days doing nothing out in the middle of no where with a gorgeous brown lady with button nose, maybe helping the others in the village just find something to pass the time of day really.. I want to get away from things here I can see things getting worse before they improve (If they ever do) I can sympathise with Thaicoon

I imagine your skills wouldnt demand a huge wage in LOS i'm afraid (even thought finding a decent reliable chippy in Herts has proved to be a nightmare for me recently), i'm guessing a lot of Thai men are more likely to be semi skilled with carpentry/woodcraft etc than computing or engineering but i may be wrong. i looked into workin in LOS a little and will do again in June but it doesnt look as good as things here which I guess you know, but IMO the way/pace of life over there you can not put a price on. I imagine so much more so having a long term gf there

I'm only here for financial resasons and hoping few more years and I can make the move permanently

good luck mate

Bingo!

I'm 34 and been here almost a year. I was a corporate whore back in the UK working my thruppny bits off to make money and look like every other prannock with two houses, a few cars and Motorbikes that I enjoyed in my Free ( ha blo ody ha) time!

I wnet snowbarding last year and met some 30 somethings that had had a great time traveling the world. I was looking for a new path and that, I decided was it. I set about getting a TEFL qualification and within 2 weeks I had a decent job offer to teach in Korat. I went to tell my Excellent Boss (best I've had before or since) that I couldn't afford to work here anymore. Knowing full well I had banked 7k last month after taxes he looked a little bemused but we talked it through and I was given a swift exit with the door left open should I wish to return. He and my European director considered it a normal midlife thing for a single bloke to go through.

A month later I was shut of two houses, two bikes, 60% of my soft funishings, two cars, all debts and a few other bits of stuff that I had collected. Like Golf clubs and Mountain bikes. What was left fitted neatly into my parents spare garage which would not take a 3 series BMW so that gives you some idea.

I got on a plane to LOS and took a Taxi to Korat. I started teaching in three days and have not looked back. Yes, I have met some monument pr7cks along the way. 95% of them Westerners.

But I know this is my home. Having made a move to a very well regarded school I now make a modest living that means I very rarely have to dip into the cookie jar. I wanted a life changing experience and I found one. I heard too many horror stories about thai girlfriends to entertain that notion. Odd, maybe? But have some great friends and travel with my classic bike club, go fishing, travel with my students and ex students who remain great friends. Life rocks and I'll only disturb it with a round the world Motorcycle trip when I find it drops into a lull.

Life should be filled with new experience, if you let money stand between you and your dreams you will likely never have substantial amounts of either. I own no property, I drive a truck and two bikes. I ensure I have and also appear to have very little to loose (partly from the fear of unwanted attention). I go about my business with a smile and enjoy learning the thai ways of doing things.

34 is a great age if you let be. If you crave security ( job in england looks secure but thats a crock!) then you'll dismiss all the above. If you are looking for a nudge over the edge then I hope I provided it for you.

Jump in! The water is lovely!

Loz

I'm 37 and retired in Thailand, I run a few businesses in Thailand (well one company but many interests), not through necessity, but rather something to do (stops me drinking too much), I travel back to the UK once or twice a year normally, and after a few days I can't wait to return to Thailand. Money is only relative to expenditure, here you can spend as little or as much as you desire, Thailand is where its at for me....

Edit to add.....

Your project in Issan sounds very worthwhile, well done.

Edited by solent01

This is great and exactly want I wanted to hear, especially from the 30 somethings.

I had also thought about doing the full-on TEFL course back home as I had been offered many jobs in my time as a volunteer. I Still might decide to do a TEFL just incase I decide to pack it all in and move to LOS.

I've had the life changing experience as a result of my worldly travels, but has anyone just gone out there with nowt to there name and decided to stay. Dont get me wrong, I'm not skint and could lay my hands on about 30k cash. 20k of that could buy a house up in Isaan, but I'd love to stay out there permanently. Am I tackling things the wrong way around. Should I stay and earn the money here working every hour under the sun, paying upto 40% tax, shit weather..etc etc. Being away for so long would not help towards NI contributions, thus giving a meagre state pension in the future. I dont own a property as Hertfordshire aint cheap. I could quite easily get a mortgage but renting out would never cover the mortgage repayments. Do I need all that hastle.

On the other hand I could quite easily move to LOS, get a job teaching, earning 25-30k per month. It wouldnt set you up for the future though. What about retirement. My gf's son wants to join the "honourable society" known as the police force in 2 years time and I certainly wouldnt want him to take care of us in our old age. Not in the same way Thai kids are expected to take care of their Thai parents. Over the past 3 years I have adapted to the Thai way of life very easily. When in LOS, I live like a Thai, eat like a Thai, and I'm sure that on a teching salary, living day to day can be done.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Guemlum

Q, I would suggest that for now at least you grin and bear it in blighty, the comfort I and I'm guessing many other Expats have is the fact that we can if need or desire be, leave Thailand for pastures new, but as they say "up to you", I would hate living here on a day to day concept, that to me would mean that I am trapped, after all, with no means to return, would would one do if the smelly stuff hit the fan?

You want your cake and eat it too.

man up to the fact that life is for living and you don't need mega bucks for security. You need Gumption. I suggest you read two books. Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance - Robert Pirsig and Jupiter's Travels - Ted Simon.

Then if you are not sure. Stay at home and forget about LOS, its not for you. just dip into it like a tourist and enjoy the snap shots. Nowt wrong with that. You'll build a nice safe nest egg for when you retire and maybe then you'll spend more time here. At least you can stop agonizing over the possibility.

Or, you'll send me a nice pm thanking me for reminding you where you left your balls. pack you bags and come out to be with your girlfriend and live a happy life in a place you seem to love and with people you can appreciate and relate to. The matter of your future will resolve itself as you keep living in the present. have faith in yourself and you will find a way.

If this ruffles your feathers, then maybe thats a hint to spread your wings...or to stop dreaming and go back to your Scott Adams depicted lifestyle.

With love,

Loz

man up to the fact that life is for living and you don't need mega bucks for security. You need Gumption. I suggest you read two books. Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance - Robert Pirsig and Jupiter's Travels - Ted Simon.

Then if you are not sure. Stay at home and forget about LOS, its not for you. just dip into it like a tourist and enjoy the snap shots. Nowt wrong with that. You'll build a nice safe nest egg for when you retire and maybe then you'll spend more time here. At least you can stop agonizing over the possibility.

Or, you'll send me a nice pm thanking me for reminding you where you left your balls. pack you bags and come out to be with your girlfriend and live a happy life in a place you seem to love and with people you can appreciate and relate to. The matter of your future will resolve itself as you keep living in the present. have faith in yourself and you will find a way.

If this ruffles your feathers, then maybe thats a hint to spread your wings...or to stop dreaming and go back to your Scott Adams depicted lifestyle.

With love,

Loz

Cheers Loz, you've cheered me up...and your advice taken on board as with all the other posts.

Guemlum

With love,

Loz

Loz, a little bit harsh, but some good points raised. :o

but has anyone just gone out there with nowt to there name and decided to stay.

Guemlum, there are many guys like this who just came to Thailand on a whim or decided to just stay here instead of going back home. They have no money, they have no way of re-starting their life back home if they had the chance to do so and the majority of them seem to be surviving ok here in LOS as English teachers. Many of them are earning on average 35k as a salary and then topping it up with language school teaching in the evenings taking their pay up to about 50k per month. On this you can survive here, however, things are changing and I personally wouldn't recommend putting your career (earning enough to pay 40% tax) on hold or indeed ruin any future career ops back home on some whim of fantasy.

Ok so you have an itch, well someone gave me advice 10 years ago that basically said. "If you have an itch, then scratch it" and he was right as I have not stopped scratching ever since and have moved on average every two years. This is good for me because it keeps me fresh but it isn't for everyone.

Right now you have an itch to come and live in LOS. Well scratch it is what I say. Come here for one or two years, see for yourself what it is like to live here and be an English teacher or whatever it is you end up being, then make your own decision to either stay or return back home based on your own experience.

Just remember, your highest earning potential will be in your forties and you really do need to weigh off the benefits of living for today in Thailand with an uncertain future and no saving opportunities for the future, to one where your earnings and savings potential back home per month (after bills and tax) alone 'could and should' give you an extra 3 months back in LOS.

Use this as a ratio:

1 month in England = 3 months accrued funds for a future in Thailand.

1 Months Thailand = Live for today with zip accrued for a future in Thailand

At the end of the day this is your call and we can only guide you based on our own experience (which is different for each and every one of us) and as long as you keep remembering to scratch that itch when it comes back to niggle you, no matter were you are, then you will be ok.

^^Good post Casanundra :o

Myself, running a service engineering co in Rayong. Mainly servicing the Maptaphut industrial facilities and offshore oil and gas. Work here gets busier every year, as these plants are older and need progressively more maintenance. We do a good job and most local companies (and Thais, generally) are quite "brand loyal" with respect to paying for quality service. Life is good here, but I might return to the UK after my contract is up. For a break as much as anything. Work here can be as much inversely stressful as living is enjoyable...

...The matter of your future will resolve itself as you keep living in the present. have faith in yourself and you will find a way.

If this ruffles your feathers, then maybe thats a hint to spread your wings...or to stop dreaming and go back to your Scott Adams depicted lifestyle...

Loz, a little bit harsh, but some good points raised. :o

As my dear departed grandad would say. "That's tough love!" :D

Guemlum

The circumstances you describe sound very familiar to me. Here is another angle for you to consider.

6 yrs ago I have been invited to Thailand by someone I met in Spain (!). I had never come before and had no intention to stay at all...

But I ended up building an exclusive property (in the north) and now devote most of my time helping a big hill tribes school with original projects aimed at giving new skills to the underprivileged youngsters. We also had a "website building project", among other programs, mostly artistic.

The house (Insii Thai House) and projects have been visited by members of the Royal family, the ambassador, famous buddhist figures, ..., Channel11, and various journalists. Every time guests visit the house to know more about the projects they say that "I am a good man".

I always answer that I am not such a good man since everything I do also brings a lot of happiness... to myself. Without that happiness I would be gone already.

Everytime I can launch a student into the active life with a better educational background I feel happy.

That is what makes me stay in Thailand.

I am also still "young" - below 40 - but from a material point of view, we have totally different situations.

I don't need to work, can take care of business from here without travelling too much, and can stay confortably in Thailand with a special entry visa.

I think that if I had to work in order to be able to involve myself in charity, the level of hapiness which makes me stay here would be greatly reduced. This is my point of view, of course. Many do work. Some do both work and charity...

Being a teacher here could be the best option for you.

There is a wood project at the hill tribes school I mentioned, with a French carpenter (quality furniture making). But working in that field is not easy since the wood working profession is reserved for Thais. You would probably not receive a work permit for this kind of job.

But, in any case, you should be sure of your move, and not sacrifice your carreer in the UK for a stay in Thailand which could be shorter than you plan...

Some very wise words from Casanundra. This can only come from true life experiences. When I was young I used to think things my father or others said to me were nonsense and did not cater to me. As I have matured and grown older, I now know how wisdom can only come with age and experiences - ususally learned from making mistakes.

A very wise man - a very wealthy man - once said to me "Work hard now and enjoy life later, or enjoy life now and work hard later." I'm sure this is a familiar saying many have heard.

I am not much older than you, and I could easily retire now in LOS, or get a job there as an expat. I put in the time - more than 8 years in uni with the possibility to work in many countries. And I still feel the need to secure a future as one never knows what is around the corner. And I still feel the need to upgrade my skills and I am always reading or doing something to learn more to be able to stay ahead of the game. A game - yes - but you have to play unless you want to drop out. Trust me, you don't want to drop out just yet. I have travelled extensively and still continue to travel about a 1/3 of the year living out of hotels and I see and meet many people trying to live what you are speaking of. The beginning may be all fun and games but as time goes on - I see people struggling to do something that I would not even blink at like staying in a nice hotel or having a good night out. Sure it's a rat race and everyone dreams about a nice LOS lifestyle - but it comes with a price. Are you willing to pay the price? Loz talks a good game but it's your life - treat it as such. Take everything here and use it only as it suits you, and ultimately make a decision based on your needs and what you want - not what others say. People too often see things in a romantic light because they are only scratching the surface - but when they dig deeper it reveals the truth.

Take a year or two off like some have said and get it out of your system. But think about the future - and the possbile future of your future family. BUT make sure you have other options (a backup plan).

I hope I have not discouraged you - but I have seen too many people come to LOS and try to spend time there and in the end I see many people doing whatever they can to try and stay just a wee bit longer even if it meant alienating family and friends. One friend sent postcards to all his friends asking for money after his family cut him off - very sad!

Anyways good luck whatever you choose and hope you can make things work for you!

Vacations are enjoyable because they are contrasted against our everyday lives, but when our lives become a vacation everyday, then what is there to look forward to?

Hard work always pays off!

Shochu- Hey, I didn't send postcards to all my friends. Dammit, man!

Respectfully, this kind of inquiry seems of limited value. Maybe people can offer insights that are useful. But more likely one just seeks, whether consciously or not, validation for what one wants to do.

With that said, I say go for it and be totally open to new possibilities, including returning to your home if things don't work out in LOS. And there are always so many places and so many possibilities. It's rarely if ever a matter of just two options. For example, many of live as expats where we can earn a good living without working too hard or too many months a year, and then retire reasonably early to LOS or somewhere like it where it woudl be harder for most of us to make a good living. That's a good balance for many, but not for all of course.

Dairy Farm - Loei Province.

Didn't give up any "home country" - born USA, grew up splitting childhood between school in the UK and holidays with parents in Thailand (who both spent most their working life with the Red Cross). Have lived here since finishing Uni and getting my first job 25 years ago with a large tractor/agriculture manufacturing companying who sent me to Thailand as part of a larger team sent to increase sales in South East Asia.

Thai wife - who I met at uni in California (1979) - have been married to her since early '80's. 2 kids - one daughter still at school, and one son - who has just started uni in the USA.

What have I lost by way of this desicion (as opposed to living/working in the West)? - hard to say actually. From an income perspective am lucky that between myself and the wife we have managed to sustain professional type Western incomes and can afford that lifestyle. From an oppurtunity point of view - well, like most Westerners who are living here - so long as you run your business, the oppurtunities are very much in what you decide to do, and how well you do it.

My only concern: a personal long term fear of Thai "nationalism" - there is a small but influential sector of Thai society that could undo a lifetime of hard work. A rational fear? - I don't know, it's more a perception that may well reflect a failing in my own outlook and attitude on occassions - hence if I (and the family) have always maintained enough overseas should we (meaning me because I am a Westerner) have to pack our bags and leg it one day.

That aside - have solid lifelong friendships with many Thai's across the socio-economic spectrum.

This is my home, I can't think of any set of circumstances (other than the above) which would motivate me to move to the West.

Culture wise - pretty much adapted as much as any Westener could want to - it's second nature now.

Monkhood - been there, done that (and I would reccomend the experiance to any male who was here for the long run - go for it, it will be an experiance you will hold dear for the rest of your life).

Other than that - is this place much different from the West? Yes and No. Thai's are human - just like Westeners. Take all the problems memebrs express and share on this forum. A common thread running through the majority of them - interpersonal relationships and poor communication. Learn the language and your ability to intergrate, communicate and avoid a lot of business and relationship problems will be addressed. Above all it will change a lot of the prejudices a lot of us are reluctant to admitt in the first place (aaahh - Western conditioning!).

One thing in particular I am glad about: the oppurtunity to bring my children up in an enviroment which was free of a lot of Western influences that changed Western society over the last 25 years or so. Thai society is certainly changing now, but I do believe it did (and still does) offer a set of values that Western society has all but foregone e.g. Family values and the role family plays in groing up. Cultural values and a sense of identity.

Most of you around my age (how shall I put - +/- 50, give or take 10 years) will agree with me I'm sure when I say "family" played a much more significant and positive role in our growing up than it does with their children now-a-days. Overall, I feel it has been a much healthier enviroment (growing up in rural Thailand) than it would have been in the rat race of the West.

I'd be interested in anyone else's comments on this point i.e. did they choose to bring their children up in Thailand as opposed to the West, and if so, why?. In my case, I chose Thailand and belive it was best thing to do.

Am I happy? Life is what you make of it - I'm a great beleiver that one takes ones self where ever they choose to go/settle. Sure, we all have bad experiances at some or other time, but it's usually what we make of it that determines ultimately whether or not we're happy. In other words, the fact that it is Thailand as opposed to anywhere else is a non-issue.

That's my take on the thread question

MF