Advice on buyng a plain jane tablet

paddypower

I dropped my wifes iPad. I need to replace it quickly. she has had 3 ipads over the years the previous 2 have failed for various reasons/plus she has grown to dislike them (and me for dropping the newest one). My budget is 15,000 +/-  screen size 10-10.5''. her preferences are nice quality screen and ease of use. doesn't need cellular, camera capability is unimportant.

Media tech - 10 inch tablet Deca Core 6GB RAM 128GB ROM 4G FDD LTE 1920*1200 IPS Dual SIM 8.0MP GPS Android 9.0 tablet

Bought this a couple of months ago off AliExpress for US $100, is that B3,000? Sure there must be similar on Lazada for a quicker delivery. I am very happy with it. Maybe a more expensive tablet has a better CPU but I'm in no rush. More expensive stuff have better camera, NFC etc etc but these basic tablets have GPS, WiFi, BlueTooth ad alike.

Oh yes, a replacement screen that you can fit yourself is around the $10-$20.

• Like 2

Though I have never been assessed duty on a phone purchased from Gearbest/Banggood, I have been assessed duty on tablets two times.

"Teclast" is a Chinese tablet maker with a good reputation for decent quality tablets.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Go to the site and look.   During this crisis what else do you have to do ?

https://best.aliexpress.com/?lan=en

Thanks. went there and found

- media tech brings up nothing. so I assume you mean Media Tek, which is a top chip manufacturer. One thing which turned me off is the O/S. Never heard of Robot O/S and nothing on the Net (except stuff about robots). I'm heading over to Chuwi and will also look at Techlast (thanks ddddave).

14 minutes ago, paddypower said:

anyone seen this for sale? Chuwi Hi 12 tablet, 12.2 inch large screen with a resolution of 2160 x 1440 pixels, Windows 10 + Android 5.1 operating system with Intel Atom x5-Z8350.

On Lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop-tablet/?q=Chuwi+Hi+12+tablet&from=input

I quite like Huawei.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/huawei-mediapad-m5-lite-101-1-m-pen-lite-stylus-backpack-1980-i580382424-s1072166156.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.47544d6ev5BeH5&search=1

Edited by Will27

I'd suggest going to any still open shops and looking over the offerings in person (even if you chose to buy online because of better price). 

A few years ago the only way to meet a similar 'quality' of an iPad would be to purchase high-end gear from a major-brand portable device manufacturers such as Samsung, Amazon, Lenovo, Huawei, Asus, Nvidia, HTC, Acer, Dell, HP, LG, Sony, Toshiba, Xiaomi, etc., because anything low-end was junk that would never be updated.

But some nice, responsive low-cost devices have shown up on the market the last few years. Still, I'd really recommend looking at what people are selling then take a look at the reviews and device forums to see what people are saying about them. The major-brand manufacturers are still known quality -- and a better risk than the newbies in the market, but if you don't mind risking your disposable income on a newbie product you, or at least your wife, might be just as happy.    

11 minutes ago, RichCor said:

I'd suggest going to any still open shops and looking over the offerings in person (even if you chose to buy online because of better price). 

A few years ago the only way to meet a similar 'quality' of an iPad would be to purchase high-end gear from a major-brand portable device manufacturers such as Samsung, Amazon, Lenovo, Huawei, Asus, Nvidia, HTC, Acer, Dell, HP, LG, Sony, Toshiba, Xiaomi, etc., because anything low-end was junk that would never be updated.

But some nice, responsive low-cost devices have shown up on the market the last few years. Still, I'd really recommend looking at what people are selling then take a look at the reviews and device forums to see what people are saying about them. The major-brand manufacturers are still known quality -- and a better risk than the newbies in the market, but if you don't mind risking your disposable income on a newbie product you, or at least your wife, might be just as happy.    

Samsung usually has a pretty good range of 8 and 10 inch wifi only Android OS tablets available for sale at many places here at reasonable prices, because they're so ubiquitous in Thailand. But one downside about their lower priced wifi tablets, at least in the past, is they tended to have relatively low res screen offerings, unless you wanted to buy into their midrange lines.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Everyone to their own opinion. Personally whilst apple stuff can be very good and high spec any repairs are expensive as is the original equipment.

Yes, a lot of the no name Chinese stuff is never updated, but you can buy a new tablet every 6 months and save money.

Also I do not like the control apple has over "your" tablet. Google is bad enough but apple is impossible.

I have been very happy with my Chinese tablets. For the OP put in the spec I gave in the 2nd post on Aliexpress and too many tablets are listed. There should be no tax into Thailand, but only delivery by ordinary post, not DHL or whoever.

On 3/23/2020 at 3:10 PM, Will27 said:

everything listed at Lazada is sourced from China, no name store, no warranty. i'd rather go to the race track. i just bought a samsung A30, 6999 at Jayart. 5700 at a no name store at Lazada, but if you buy, you don't get a genuine warranty. I am on to Chuwi at FB. will see how real their presence is in Thailand. Wife vv iPad: when it is still under warranty (bgt Nov 2019) and the screen keeps skipping - and i(do not)Care has checked it 3 -4 times...and 'no ploblem' - it's frustrating. see what I mean abut her haing a bad taste in her mouth with iPad.

have been sniffing at Huawei - but I'm Canadian and those fx£"ers have 2 of our guys in solitary since Nov. 2018, due to the legal case in my home town (Vancouver BC).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paddypower said:

everything listed at Lazada is sourced from China, no name store, no warranty. i'd rather go to the race track. i just bought a samsung A30, 6999 at Jayart. 5700 at a no name store at Lazada, but if you buy, you don't get a genuine warranty. I am on to Chuwi at FB. will see how real their presence is in Thailand. Wife vv iPad: when it is still under warranty (bgt Nov 2019) and the screen keeps skipping - and i(do not)Care has checked it 3 -4 times...and 'no ploblem' - it's frustrating. see what I mean abut her haing a bad taste in her mouth with iPad.

have been sniffing at Huawei - but I'm Canadian and those fx£"ers have 2 of our guys in solitary since Nov. 2018, due to the legal case in my home town (Vancouver BC).

I got my Huawei M3 from Gearbest when they had them  50% off due to a new model coming out.

Full warranty and luckily didn't get taxed in Thailand.

Im all Apple and have been for years, how in the hell you can trash 3 iPads is beyond me, you and your mrs must be very rough which means anything you buy wont last, if your looking for quality than iPad is it....if you dont care and will be replacing it in 6 months casue you or her trashed it again get a cheap anything...

Bought an iPad in 2012, daughter still using it....bought an iPad Air ng 2015 still going strong, get a god dam cover for your tablet and turn it right off once a week at least.

4 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Im all Apple and have been for years, how in the hell you can trash 3 iPads is beyond me, you and your mrs must be very rough which means anything you buy wont last, if your looking for quality than iPad is it....if you dont care and will be replacing it in 6 months casue you or her trashed it again get a cheap anything...

Bought an iPad in 2012, daughter still using it....bought an iPad Air ng 2015 still going strong, get a god dam cover for your tablet and turn it right off once a week at least.

cut back on your caffine intake, mate.