Central to shutter department stores in Bangkok until April 12

Jonathan Fairfield

Central to shutter department stores in Bangkok until April 12

n8.jpg

CentralPlaza on Sunday announced the temporary closure of its 15 branches in Bangkok and its vicinity, heeding the order on Saturday of Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.

The branches that will remain closed from March 22 to April 12 include CentralWorld, Lat Phrao, Pin-klao, Ram-Indra, Bang Na, Rama 2, Rama 3, Grand Rama 9, Central Festival East Ville, Chaeng Watthana, Westgate, Rattanathibet, Mahachai and Central Village while the Salaya branch will be closed until March 31.

However, Central Food Hall, Tops, Boots, Watson are still open for takeaway service.

Meanwhile, Tesco Lotus will continue its service for groceries responding to the huge demand from consumers.

But the food court inside every mall under Tesco Lotus’ management will be available for takeaway service only until April 12

Tesco Lotus said it plans to support employees who lose their incomes during the outbreak by hiring them on a daily wage basis.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384607

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-22

17 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The branches that will remain closed from March 22 to April 12 include CentralWorld, Lat Phrao, Pin-klao, Ram-Indra, Bang Na, Rama 2, Rama 3, Grand Rama 9, Central Festival East Ville, Chaeng Watthana, Westgate, Rattanathibet, Mahachai and Central Village while the Salaya branch will be closed until March 31.

Somehow the above list missed Central Chidlom, where the department and related stores are closed, but the Central Food Hall (supermarket and takeout food only) on the ground floor remains open (though you have to access it from the rear entrance because the normal Skywalk entrance from the Chidlom BTS station into the department store there is also closed. I was there today so can confirm from firsthand experience.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

It's the same with most other shopping malls - food courts and (many) restaurants remain open for takeaway and food delivery.

Both good options, I think - I like to take a walk at times the sidewalks aren't crowded (for exercise, fresh air and sunshine), so I do go out while I can and get some takeaway food on my way. Those who can't or won't venture out, on the other hand, have plenty of choice with Grab and Food Panda.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:31 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Somehow the above list missed Central Chidlom, where the department and related stores are closed, but the Central Food Hall (supermarket and takeout food only) on the ground floor remains open (though you have to access it from the rear entrance because the normal Skywalk entrance from the Chidlom BTS station into the department store there is also closed. I was there today so can confirm from firsthand experience.

You can get in from Soi Chidlom or from Soi Somkid.