Covid-19: Government to impose state of emergency

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Interesting idea - since once I was barred from leaving the country by the court, yet still incurred overstay at immigration.

Me too 11,000 b Court held my passport 

Edited by Ireland32
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, glennb6 said:

shut down the government? just saying.

na, they'll shoot themselves in their political heads to be seen "doing something". Nevermind that shutting an economy down points may well dive it into a depression, kill businesses, bankruptcies, eliminate jobs, oh, and far reduce TAX COLLECTION (oops did we not think of that).

Said it before, people out of work, bankrupted, no money - this leads to hunger, to anger, and pretty soon that will get expressed in very bad ways. I'll say big daddy will kill any future chances he might be looking forward to if an election were to follow. Angry people look to blame someone, just the way it works.

Ok Glenn, people are angry. Things are shut down. It will affect the economy. Hell yeah! It might even bring down everything into a depression. Is it Thailand doing all that, or is it happening all over the world? To me it looks like most countries are shutting down and order people to stay at home. That can´t be good for economy, right? No it isn´t. But, do you what? They are looking to minimize the spread of a virus outbreak and saving lives. Not only referring to the economy.

Your idea about shutting down the government is laughable. Okey, it´s not the best possible government, but their is no possibility to fix a new one right now. So, that makes you idea not viable. Any more great ideas, or are you only gonna refer to the economy and how much of your private money you are losing? Maybe it´s time to look at how many people that are dying worldwide every single day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I would wager that they would be forced to shutter between 6 pm and 6 am with no service, dine-in or take-away. Otherwise why bother with a curfew?

"I am declaring a national state of emergency and everyone must stay in their home between 18:00 and 06:00 the following day... unless they're hungry."

I see your point, but is not really practical to impose a ban on food delivery after say 18.00, a huge number of Thais do not have the facility to cook and if at work cannot necessarily get home before 18.00, although most I've read is suggesting 20.00hrs curfew start.

What about those on night shifts etc.?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I guess that they will follow the lead of several of the more sensible Western countries that have taken similar measures. So, all the above except 4. Shopping for food will be allowed, supermarkets will remain open.

Yes, California did this a week or so ago, but my ex and her niece say they think everything will shut down... stock up with a month worth of food

only have maybe 2 weeks worth of food at present

Unbelievable the worldwide panic and stumbling around by governments to try and abate this viral invasion.... 

Uncharted territories

Stopping the spread is all we got

1 hour ago, glennb6 said:

Said it before, people out of work, bankrupted, no money - this leads to hunger, to anger, and pretty soon that will get expressed in very bad ways. I'll say big daddy will kill any future chances he might be looking forward to if an election were to follow. Angry people look to blame someone, just the way it works.

Thaksin back in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

1 hour ago, smedly said:

you made statements of fact in your post and some assumed, evidently you are no expert - are you ? 

And you are? Please point out the thing you call facts.

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

If they chose to use an emergency decree, where they will not be able to issue visas. Then I assume they will not charge any overstay fine. If you get denied for not having the papers asked for, then it´s up to you to provide them. Embassies are cooperating with that right now. If they close down their service, we will have to assume immigration will understand that.

The only thing I can see is my statement that embassies are cooperating with issuing the documents needed. That is a fact! Please point out my facts now, Mr Wiseguy.

1 minute ago, Muskoka Digger 024 said:

I have a flight booked (Thai Smile) from Udon to Bkk on march 28 . Flight to Toronto march 29. Should I try to change Udon flight to 25 march because of interprovincial travel ban?   Any advice would be appreciated...

That would be a new topic I believe sir - up to you

Easy to start one

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Muskoka Digger 024 said:

I have a flight booked (Thai Smile) from Udon to Bkk on march 28 . Flight to Toronto march 29. Should I try to change Udon flight to 25 march because of interprovincial travel ban?   Any advice would be appreciated...

Depends what is announced tomorrow, cant really advise until the restrictions are known.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Absolute rubbish. Age is not a factor when considering the risks of catching it. 

Age is a factor of dying from it though. Take a look at the stats in Italy. Younger people are potentially more likely not to require hospitalisation if they get it.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zikomat said:

Isn’t it a proved fact already that those Who are elder are at the higher risk of complications and the need of additional health care procedures?

Not to that poster it isn't lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Age is a factor of dying from it though. Take a look at the stats in Italy. Younger people are potentially more likely not to require hospitalisation if they get it.

2 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Isn’t it a proved fact already that those Who are elder are at the higher risk of complications and the need of additional health care procedures?

Just now, bbi1 said:

Not to that poster it isn't lol

The question is not about complications or hospitalisation or dying. It is about the risks of contracting the disease. Learn to read and comprehend. 

7 minutes ago, Mattd said:

And do you think that is the only cost? No overhead, no salaries, nothing? I repeat the admin cost is the same regardless, whether that is 1 Baht or 1,900 Baht is irrelevant.

I always thought that these fees are a kind of a tax for a visitors using The public facilities in Thailand (like the roads, beaches etc). So why the one using those public infrastructure for 7 days pays the same amount as the one using it all year long?

By the way, the easy calculation will show you that if those fees were a big part of administrative fees like salaries etc - then every one of those working at immigration would have 100 k usd salary a month at least. 

Edited by Zikomat
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

Neither are people on retirement visas who don't have the required health insurance policies or the required 800k in the bank. That doesn't stop TV being full of those people trying to find ways to stay here and game the system.

That’s correct. Those without the required financial means are not welcome. Health insurance policies are only required for those on a specific visa which has a loophole on the financial requirements. 

9 minutes ago, jmccarty said:

Bickering over this is going to help everyone!  <deleted> do us people do if this becomes lawless?  Anyone have armed security on 911?

Our security guard has only one arm, no idea what happened there! seems armless enough though ???? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

If you are over the age of 60, you are most at risk of getting it and straining the hospital and health system.

Yes I  know that although a fit person over 60 Is less of a risk than a younger person with health issues.

My point was that it's not necessarily so easy for someone to go back to their own country if they are married here and possibly supporting a family. 

• Like 2