Govt unlikely to impose curfew soon: spokeswoman

snoop1130

13 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Mrs just said it's on the news.......26th, 7pm Curfew starts, 40,000 Baht Fine and up to 2 years in Prison for offenders.    The screws are being tightened.

My daughter said she heard on the news that it will be virtual lock down rather than curfew. That cars will be checked and only very essential journeys allowed. 

Most countries are trying to find some workable balance. Apart from Russia where Vlad says it's all under control!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Guderian said:

It's all a bit surreal at the moment, like half the population thinks it's the end times, while the other half still thinks it's a party.

I take the view that people are having a party while they still can because they 'know' it is the end times anyway!

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

My daughter said she heard on the news that it will be virtual lock down rather than curfew. That cars will be checked and only very essential journeys allowed. 

Most countries are trying to find some workable balance. Apart from Russia where Vlad says it's all under control!

is that just 'Under Control' or similar to Prayut's '100% Under Control' ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, loong said:

So curfew starting Thursday 7PM to 7AM.

Another decision without any real thought.

Imagine the massive amount of traffic on the dangerous roads at 7AM and then in the Evening all the people rushing to get home before 7PM.

Hmm, I was told 8pm to 6am yesterday.

7pm to 7am is a ballache as I leave for work at 6am and get home at 7.30pm !!

8 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

In 35 years and more in Thailand I have experience of states of emergency and curfews.

Don't believe for one minute that they will not be enforced.

They will. They are very good at enforcement when they want to be.

Rooster

I remember the first one I experienced (I think it was early 1991). I asked a girl we shared an apartment with why all the TV channels were playing exactly the same boring music with a picture of the Thai flag.

She flipped through the channels and said in a matter-of-fact voice, "Oh, it must be a military coup."

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

I remember the first one I experienced (I think it was early 1991). I asked a girl we shared an apartment with why all the TV channels were playing exactly the same boring music with a picture of the Thai flag.

She flipped through the channels and said in a matter-of-fact voice, "Oh, it must be a military coup."

And what did you say back to her ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:
4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

And what did you say back to her ?

I think I must have asked her why she wasn't worried.

I do recall walking past one of the Thai ministry buildings later that day, it had a tank parked in the entrance. That was the only evidence I saw, apart from all the bars being shut that night.

14 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Mrs just said it's on the news.......26th, 7pm Curfew starts, 40,000 Baht Fine and up to 2 years in Prison for offenders.    The screws are being tightened.

manager at our condo said same.... does anybody watch and understands the Thai government news channel, maybe they will confirm it there....., just a thought

15 minutes ago, Mavideol said:
14 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

manager at our condo said same.... does anybody watch and understands the Thai government news channel, maybe they will confirm it there....., just a thought

Can we ask which Channel this was on?

I asked my wife who has been reading the news all morning but hasn't come across anything.

Googling (for me anyway) hasn't shown up anything. except that our illustrious leader will be making an announcement later.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The government was also considering a measure that would allow foreigners to depart from Thailand, but the issue of the curfew was not raised in the meeting.

Funny, last time I checked, there were many more foreigners desperate to stay rather than depart. - What are they planning; rounding up all foreigners, and carting them off to the border?

For the past few days in Patong the police have been busy. But the "busy" is in setting up more than the usual number of traffic checkpoints. With so few tourists on the road they must be having problems writing enough fines. They also don't seem to be concerned with social distancing as they stand next to the foreigners, write tickets and collect the 500 Baht. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rabang said:

These are the possible measures but they are not necessarily implemented.

From the article

The Thai PM has today announced an Emergency Decree for Thailand. Under the decree, the Prime Minister will have sole authority in implementing policies to combat the Covid-19 outbreak in the Kingdom. The PM will work with the Centre for Resolution of Emergency Situations. The centre will meet daily at 9.30am each day to monitor the epidemic and take necessary actions.

The decree comes into effect on March 26, 2020.

In his televised announcement at Government House, Gen Prayut said new requirements to control the disease would be enforced.

This is a translation of the Emergency Decree declared this afternoon. The translation has been done to provide a quick guide of the intentions. We will publish the government’s official English translation as soon as it becomes available. In the meantime this is a guide only….

This suggests that the translation is only for guidance until an official translation is released.

Maybe the curfew will not be implemented. In its present form I hope not, at least not with those hours.

Possibly the majority of Thais in towns and cities do not even have the facilities to cook at home and so eat out all the time. I can imagine crowds of people all trying to get their takeaways at the same time to beat the curfew.

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

no money = no food.

Impressive person; but maybe you are Thai;

it is in your genes to never plan because tomorrow does not exist ... yet.
I , who have a tiny pension from the French State , and incidentally a wife, a girl, four dogs and four cats to feed, I have enough money in my purse and at the bank to live for several weeks.

21 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Impressive person; but maybe you are Thai;

it is in your genes to never plan because tomorrow does not exist ... yet.
I , who have a tiny pension from the French State , and incidentally a wife, a girl, four dogs and four cats to feed, I have enough money in my purse and at the bank to live for several weeks.

Ahh without doubt there's always gunna be some moron taking a (Humorous) post out of context and TV has not failed to deliver once again !!

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Ahh without doubt there's always gunna be some moron taking a (Humorous) post out of context and TV has not failed to deliver once again !!

Sorry, I didn't see anything funny in your post
or it was on a supersonic level :neus:

Generally adding a smiley helps to understand the hidden meaning