Banking Internet Banking

rumrunner

I have a retirement Visa and started an account at Bangkok bank. I was suprised to learn they would not let me have the internet banking option. They said I could not have with a retirement Visa, a work permit is required.

Is this a goverment rule, bank rule and is there a way around? It severly limits my ability to transfer funds.

Thanks

I have a retirement Visa and started an account at Bangkok bank. I was suprised to learn they would not let me have the internet banking option. They said I could not have with a retirement Visa, a work permit is required.

Is this a goverment rule, bank rule and is there a way around? It severly limits my ability to transfer funds.

Thanks

Ask around at other banks. I have it at SCB and I believe others have managed to get it at Kasicorn Bank.

You can get online banking at KBank, UOB and Siam Commercial on a retirement visa.

I have all of them, KBank is the best by far :o although all are a bit behind the times.

Naka.

Edited by naka

The people are Bangkok Bank are all useless gits. Okay - maybe not all, it is possible one of them knows what they are doing. Go to immigration and ask for a residence permit or document -

The idiots at Bangkok Bank will take it in a heartbeat in lieu of a work permit, but they won't tell you.

Bangkok Bank is crap.

KBank is very good. I opened an account with them and got internet banking and all I had was a tourist visa.

It did take two months and four trips to the bank for them to actually process my application for internet banking...

Bangkok Bank is crap.

Been using Bangkok Bank for 25 years and never had a problem with them. Got my e-bank on one visit and two weeks wait. But then again I have a work permit. Of course, different branches, different attitudes.

The law of Thailand states that you must have a work permit to open a bank account in Thailand.

Fortunately many banks in mostly high expat areas choose to ignore this silly ruling, if your ever refused an account at one bank just thank them and go to the next one.

Over the years I’ve sent many people to the Siam Commercial bank and not one of them was ever refused or asked to produce a work permit.

A word of warning on internet banking with a Thai bank.

It’s always been said that Thailand will never allow foreign owned banks to open up on the high streets of Thailand because Thai banks are so inefficient they would all be closed within six months with not able to compete.

And here’s an example of that inefficiency.

I recently applied for internet banking with my Thai bank (SCB), I did the necessaries and within five minutes was issued with a log-on name and password saying the account would be active the following day which was a Saturday.

I left it until the Monday to activate the account, I logged on then entered my password only to find it welcomed some guy called (Can’t give his name) which told me I had access to someone else’s account.

Yes, the dumb clucks in the bank had given me access to someone else’s account and had I not been an honest guy I could have transferred his money out of his account and into mine or gone on a spending spree.

That should never happen!!

I trailed all the way back to the main branch in Jomtien to inform them they’d mistakenly given me access to someone else’s account.

I got half an apology, no thank you and a new log-on and password user name.

Have a nice day sir!!

Be aware, things do go wrong!!

I opened an account with Siam Commercial Bank about 18 months ago and only had a tourist visa, my passport was about 3 years old at the time and had many entry and departure stamps in it.

I asked about internet banking and they gave me a login and password on the spot, I also got an ATM card for 300 Baht. I can check my balance online and can transfer money to my account.

The branch I used was in soi Bukhao near Chaba Hut Resort (Pattaya), they were all very helpful and spoke good english, the manager even came over and chatted with me while one of the girls was filling out my details for my account

I use Citibank US and am able to easily wire transfer money online to either of my Siam Bank accounts here. The Citibank ATM card is too expensive to use so I use an ATM card from Chonburi province when I am there and the one from Loei province when I am up here. I see no reason to use Internet banking here in Thailand. It's risky enough just using the Thai ATM cards.

Interesting other thread Can't Open Bank Account To Get A Retirement Visa.

Last week I tried at 3 SCB branches in Khon Kaen to open a savings account. They either wanted a work permit or being married. One branch proposed to try Bangkok Bank. I read in forums that Bangkok Bank wants work permit to get internet banking. Later I called the SCB help center. Was not friendly. He asked also for work permit, said: "requirement of the Bank of Thailand". I doubted this. He offered to talk to the branch and call me back, but never called back. By the way SCB has lower interest rates for Non-residents. Discriminating Non-Residents?

I looked at the internet pages of Kasikorn Bank. Interesting they say on the page saving rate: "Non-residents, both private individuals and corporate entities receive the same interest rates as Thai residents per the table above."

Last Wednesday I tried at Thanon Pracha Samoson Khon Kaen Branch: showed my passport with a non immigrant O multiple visa, lady asked for my current address in Thailand, I got savings account (minimum deposit 500 Baht) and VISA electron card (cost initial 100 Baht + 200 Baht for first year) within 30 minutes. I asked for internet access. Lady told me I need an e-mail address in Thailand. I never heard this before. Thus I later called the help center. Was very friendly. Can be any e-mail address. I went again to the branch last Monday. Lady said same. I said, Kasikorn headquarter in Bangkok told me it can be any e-mail address. I wrote my German e-mail address and Thai mobile number on a form and signed it, lady filled in the rest of the form which was in Thai only. Next morning I had the initial password for logon in my e-mail with instructions for the first logon in Thai and English.

Edited by willi2006

Interesting other thread Can't Open Bank Account To Get A Retirement Visa.

Last week I tried at 3 SCB branches in Khon Kaen to open a savings account. They either wanted a work permit or being married. One branch proposed to try Bangkok Bank. I read in forums that Bangkok Bank wants work permit to get internet banking. Later I called the SCB help center. Was not friendly. He asked also for work permit, said: "requirement of the Bank of Thailand". I doubted this. He offered to talk to the branch and call me back, but never called back. By the way SCB has lower interest rates for Non-residents. Discriminating Non-Residents?

I looked at the internet pages of Kasikorn Bank. Interesting they say on the page saving rate: "Non-residents, both private individuals and corporate entities receive the same interest rates as Thai residents per the table above."

Last Wednesday I tried at Thanon Pracha Samoson Khon Kaen Branch: showed my passport with a non immigrant O multiple visa, lady asked for my current address in Thailand, I got savings account (minimum deposit 500 Baht) and VISA electron card (cost initial 100 Baht + 200 Baht for first year) within 30 minutes. I asked for internet access. Lady told me I need an e-mail address in Thailand. I never heard this before. Thus I later called the help center. Was very friendly. Can be any e-mail address. I went again to the branch last Monday. Lady said same. I said, Kasikorn headquarter in Bangkok told me it can be any e-mail address. I wrote my German e-mail address and Thai mobile number on a form and signed it, lady filled in the rest of the form which was in Thai only. Next morning I had the initial password for logon in my e-mail with instructions for the first logon in Thai and English.

A couple of months ago I opened a savings acc. Fixed interest acc. and internet banking at SCB Big C branch Khon Kaen . No work permit. They could have been more helpfull . Even got a free bag.

Like so many new expats, I opened accounts at Bangkok bank and found their level of service poor. No internet banking and some branches refused to issue account balance letter for immigration.

I have been with SCB for three years and couldn't be happier. I must admit, it was a bit of a problem getting internet banking set up as they are so document dependent. One of my accounts was at a subsidiary branch of my main branch and I just couldn't get that account into my internet account list. Finally opened another account at the main branch and all is well, since one branch did all the leg work and the central internet office in BKK ended up sending the correct filled out form to my branch to get it set up.

I have three joint accounts and one personal one all on the internet.

It is most convenient for responding to telephone calls for money. A simple logon on and transfer to my Thais personal account and the money is there instantly for withdrawal through his ATM card.

He likewise deposits money into his account from his business and lets me know to withdraw it, so a quick reverse transfer and the money is in my account.

Interestingly enough, I attempted to open an account just for automatic utility withdrawels and when the paperwork went through, I was advised that this account could be added but my personal account would have to be removed from my existing account list as personal account cannot be in the same mix as joint accounts. I have learned, I simply declined to change the existing setup as personal account is needed for immigration and the ability to transfer money around is very convenient.

Keep in mind that transfers are only permitted between listed accounts, so transfer to another persons account is not possible although I suspect if you treat it as a bill pay, you might be able to do it.

Their information line in English is excellent and any problems with your account is almost instantly solved with call back. A wire transfer from the U.S. only took 24 hours to hit my account last time around.

I asked about accounts for tourists and was advised that they are reluctant to issue accounts to falang who don't expect to be in Thailand for more than 90 days.

The people are Bangkok Bank are all useless gits. Okay - maybe not all, it is possible one of them knows what they are doing.

I have a savings a/c with them in Sisaket and I have never met anyone at Bkk Bank who has any idea of what they are doing. They seem to delight in finding reasons to stop customers doing what they want with their own money.

Do not rely on them for anything other than rudimentary banking (i.e. pay small amounts of cash in and out).

I have an internet a/c with HSBC in HK and transfer only what I need to service my short term needs in Thailand. It works for me.

I deposited several thousand dollars in travelers checks with no problem, no hold back. The BoB wanted to charge 33 baht per travelers check, but they did tell me I could go down the street to the AMEX office and do with no commision and a better exchange rate.