How South Korea became the ‘model’ for beating the coronavirus

Technically, it is a democracy.  Multi-party with the Prime Minister taken from the party with a simple majority.

Singapore has a multi-party parliamentary system of representative democracy in which the President of Singapore is the head of state and the Prime Minister of Singapore is the head of government.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Apparently, Australia has "drive - in testing" and their testing rate is the best in the world. That's why they currently have a lot of cases (more than Thailand last I looked with about 1/5th the population). I think they will be out of trouble long before many other countries

Edited by ebonykap
missed a bracket
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ebonykap said:

Apparently, Australia has "drive - in testing" and their testing rate is the best in the world. That's why they currently have a lot of cases (more than Thailand last I looked with about 1/5th the population). I think they will be out of trouble long before many other countries

And, if I am not mistaken, so far, Australia has managed to avoid lockdown. They know it could cripple the economy and cause more harm than the virus. 

South Korea also avoided lockdown. 

For an alternative view (not warped by mass media) about what they did (or rather didn't do) in South Korea, see the comment of Mr Kye Lee Kim here:

(scroll down): https://www.linkedin.com/posts/quartermainebastin_uk-has-enough-intensive-care-units-for-coronavirus-activity-6649216888872243200-sxSX/ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ebonykap said:

The Australian testing rate per million, though very good is not nearly the highest. South Korea is doing 50% more and Australia Is unlikely to exceed the UAE who are at about 3 times higher or Bahrain at 2.5 times.

as of 20th Australia was the 5th largest  

ADBB970A-F76E-4ED0-9E0B-BEDA3FDAD4C2.jpeg

Do please avoid doing a tRump claim.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

50 minutes ago, JungleBiker said:

For an alternative view (not warped by mass media) about what they did (or rather didn't do) in South Korea, see the comment of Mr Kye Lee Kim here:

(scroll down): https://www.linkedin.com/posts/quartermainebastin_uk-has-enough-intensive-care-units-for-coronavirus-activity-6649216888872243200-sxSX/ 

That link does not have anything from Mr Kye Lee Kim just some incorrect information from Mr Quartermaine 

4 hours ago, justin case said:

you think people in S-korea have to pay 8.000 - 15.000 baht for a test, or is it free

what about the 150.000 illegal Thai ?  all need immigration stamps, 30 day extension ?

Testing is free.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/17/south-koreas-coronavirus-success-story-underscores-how-us-initially-failed/

6 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Yes, he did and they are. They even have a President, who is a woman, Malay and Muslim. She's the first Malay president in 47 years.

In Singapore the actual ruler of the country is the prime minister and not the president. 

Lee Kuan Yew - the actual founder of the independent Singapore has stated in an interview that Democracy wont work for Singapore and therefore there is no democracy there.

From Wikipedia:

Domination of the ruling party
The Workers' Party (WP) is the main opposition party. WP took 6 of the 89 parliamentary seats in the 2015 election, while the PAP won the other 83.[9] Another major opposition party, the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP), obtained no seats in the 2015 election.[10]

One commonly cited reason for a lack of opposition in Singapore is the use of defamation lawsuits by the PAP to bankrupt political opponents and disqualify them from running for office.[11][12] Cases include former leader of the WP J. B. Jeyaretnam and leader of the SDP Chee Soon Juan, who were bankrupted in 2001 and 2011.[13][14][15]

Another reason given is the pursuit of legal action against journalists and bloggers critical of the PAP and its policies.[8][16] Reporters Without Borders cites such lawsuits, along with attempts at making critical journalists unemployable, among its concerns when ranking the country 151st in the world for press freedom in 2017.[17]

The PAP has in the past threatened voters by saying that constituencies voting for opposition MPs would be put at the bottom of the list for public housing programs.[18][19][20] In 1998, then PAP secretary-general, Goh Chok Tong said, "By linking the priority of upgrading to electoral support, we focus the minds of voters on the link between upgrading and the people whose policies make it possible. This has the desired result."[21]

12 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

And, if I am not mistaken, so far, Australia has managed to avoid lockdown. They know it could cripple the economy and cause more harm than the virus. 

South Korea also avoided lockdown. 

Australia is in lockdown now.