People in Phuket told to remain indoors between 8pm and 3am

Jonathan Fairfield

People in Phuket told to remain indoors between 8pm and 3am

breaking news banner V2.png

The Governor of Phuket has requested people stay indoors between 8pm and 3am.

The announcement was posted on the Governor's official Facebook page late on Friday. 

While not a direct order, the announcement "kindly asked and sought the collaboration of local residents and of tourists (both and Thai and international in the Province of Phuket to remain in their residence from 8:00pm to 3:00am, with the EXCEPTION of the urgent errand".

The announcement also says "the measure of inspection will be strictly applied to people travelling to other provinces.

The announcement is effective from 28 March 2020. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-28

91274903_2536370413279466_1430638754300690432_o.jpg

well at least they did not limit it to just tourists as some earlier requests had.  But again, it is just a request.  Will see how many obey it, how many care, how many will bow to maybe social peer pressure, police or military intimidation to obey the request, etc

24 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

it was open today in Kamala

noticed,

yesterday they had many beach chairs up,

today  all wrapped up, guess thats the end of high season ????

I'd say less than 100 people on the beach

Now if someone can just figure out How to get rid of those african french speakers that rent those big bikes and love to zoom along, weaving in and out of traffic, running red lights etc etc without helmets or shirts

most small shops, and market stallholders travel to phuket town market before dawn to make it back to their own markets to set up so 3 am makes perfect sense

They talked about shutting down Nai Harn, I think due to youths gathering in the evening.

So to me the timing makes sense, and this will hopefully keep open the beaches during the day so families can keep enjoying them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

8pm to 3am, what bizarre  times arent  most  people asleep then anyway

The time frame makes sense. No nightly hang outs and not to long for this one who works like in rubber land, markets.....

• Like 1

Loads of chairs leaving Kamala Beach for past few days, as of 4pm today, it was empty, just like Richard said.

Took my kids to a nearly undisclosed beach, and we were the only ones there. 

I was told that the chairs had been removed from Karon today as well and someone posted a photo of Patong in another thread so it looks like there must have been a directive.

I drove past Kata Beach around sunset and it was much quieter than it has been. Most of the Russians slowly disappearing and not being replaced. Probably safe enough to adopt social-distancing on the beaches now.

49 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I was told that the chairs had been removed from Karon today as well and someone posted a photo of Patong in another thread so it looks like there must have been a directive.

I drove past Kata Beach around sunset and it was much quieter than it has been. Most of the Russians slowly disappearing and not being replaced. Probably safe enough to adopt social-distancing on the beaches now.

Spoke too soon. It seems that the Governor has now closed all Phuket's beaches!

Just as numbers have become manageable he takes this decision. i really don't get what he is gaining by doing this. It's the only thing left to enjoy in Phuket right now so why not leave the few remaining tourists a little pleasure while they're waiting for their flights home.

Meantime, the crowds at the Immigration Office continue unabated.

Oh, he's also closed the zoo and all animal shows, so that is at least one good thing.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

it was open today in Kamala

noticed,

yesterday they had many beach chairs up,

today  all wrapped up, guess thats the end of high season ????

I'd say less than 100 people on the beach

Now if someone can just figure out How to get rid of those african french speakers that rent those big bikes and love to zoom along, weaving in and out of traffic, running red lights etc etc without helmets or shirts

most small shops, and market stallholders travel to phuket town market before dawn to make it back to their own markets to set up so 3 am makes perfect sense

Yeah there sure are some careless thoughtless tourist idiots on the roads here! Glad to see most of them gone from Phuket.

15 hours ago, madmitch said:

Spoke too soon. It seems that the Governor has now closed all Phuket's beaches!

Just as numbers have become manageable he takes this decision. i really don't get what he is gaining by doing this. It's the only thing left to enjoy in Phuket right now so why not leave the few remaining tourists a little pleasure while they're waiting for their flights home.

Meantime, the crowds at the Immigration Office continue unabated.

Oh, he's also closed the zoo and all animal shows, so that is at least one good thing.

Just went down to Kamala beach, people in the water, siting, walking>
stopped in the police station and asked , he told me its closed, but they will not be enforcing it except after 8pm

I feel why close it anyway? Easy to stay 2, 3, 4 meters away's from anyone, the virus wont transmit in the water.