Over 70 confined to home - law or recommendation only?

cliveshep

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:
4 hours ago, Toany said:

you should only go out to immigration when required. Thai law

no it is not.

you can go shopping for food, pharmacy and hospital.

many nonessential stores are still open with exception of bars, entertainment.

Quite right, anyone can go out for any reason that they want...I went out to the bank today so did plenty of other people.  All the government advisories are just that, recommendations, not law.

Edited by Just Weird

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

these are only recommendations about being 70 and not going out.

please wear a mask.

i would show you the list but it is from a source that cant be quoted here.

No, it's not an recommendation, it's what they want. A 70 + year old German in Surin/Isaan was told the same. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, paddyfield7 said:
1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Can I ask why Tylenol?

Could also be Paracetamol or anything, just something you need to go to a Pharmacy for, whether you really go or not - it was meant ironic......

Although most people would agree that being outside for no good reason is a bad idea at the moment, no one has to justify why they're not at home, good grief.

• Like 1

BANGKOK — The first raft of measures issued under the emergency decree on Wednesday instructed senior citizens and those with vulnerable health conditions to refrain from leaving their homes unless absolutely necessary.

The same order, which will come into effect a minute after midnight, also bars traveling into Thailand through its land, sea, and air border checkpoints, with several exceptions. Facilities like nightclubs, playgrounds, and sports venues in Bangkok metropolis will remain closed down indefinitely.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2020/03/25/thailand-closes-down-border-tells-elderly-citizens-to-stay-home/

The Thai version:

https://www.matichon.co.th/politics/news_2088617

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

10 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

BANGKOK — The first raft of measures issued under the emergency decree on Wednesday instructed senior citizens and those with vulnerable health conditions to refrain from leaving their homes unless absolutely necessary.

The same order, which will come into effect a minute after midnight, also bars traveling into Thailand through its land, sea, and air border checkpoints, with several exceptions. Facilities like nightclubs, playgrounds, and sports venues in Bangkok metropolis will remain closed down indefinitely.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2020/03/25/thailand-closes-down-border-tells-elderly-citizens-to-stay-home/

It's all still recommendation regarding the elderly in order to safeguard them and, obviously, avoid putting unnecessary extra pressure on an already strained health system.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It is a recommendation, just because you say that "it's what they want" does not make it law.

“Children under 5 and adults over 70, and those with underlying health problems, are strongly urged to stay home. Public gatherings are banned.”

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/fortress-thailand-thai-pm-asks-for-co-operation]

I'd not cosonder "strongly urged" as a recommandation. I can't find the link where it's better explained but will post it as soon as I find it again. 

1 minute ago, Isaanbiker said:
6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It is a recommendation, just because you say that "it's what they want" does not make it law.

“Children under 5 and adults over 70, and those with underlying health problems, are strongly urged to stay home. Public gatherings are banned.”

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/fortress-thailand-thai-pm-asks-for-co-operation]

I'd not cosonder "strongly urged" as a recommandation. I can't find the link where it's better explained but will post it as soon as I find it again. 

What you consider the definition of "strong urge" to be if it's anything other than a strong urge is beside the point, it's not law, it's recommendation (or even "urging").

2 hours ago, TGIR said:

My wife has had me under house arrest for a week......a friend sent some kind of publication with rules out last week.....not sure where it came from but it seemed like some sort of government sponsored document.  It said if you are over 70 or have ongoing health issues you should stay home.  I watched the Prime Minister say we will be confined to our homes which I thought was in effect last week.....but have yet to see a shred of anything from him defining the terms of this "shelter in place" restriction.

Obviously your wife is thinking about you and your health. Do as she says and stay home and safe. Look at what’s happening in the world and be thankful you have a good missus looking after you. Stay healthy. 

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

no it is not.

you can go shopping for food, pharmacy and hospital.

many nonessential stores are still open with exception of bars, entertainment.

wearing a mask is  very important now.

Yes everybody must wear a mask ;

I went today to Sakon Nakhon IO by pickup , me on the wheel .

200 km back and forth ; 

Not a single police check, either on the way there or on the way back.
I enter the immigration building; I " wai " everybody, the three officers who work there have known me for 14 years and one of them rides a mountain bike with me (it creates links).
He reaches out for me to give him my passport; he does what he has to do and 1 minute later I go out again after having " wai " everyone ...

Isn't life beautiful in Sakon Nakhon Province?:thumbsup:

On the road, all the stores are open, those that sell second-hand cars, jewelry stores, clothing stores, my friend in Phangkhon who sells airco is open; his neighbor who sells tires is open ...

I forgot to specify, I am 71 years old

Edited by Assurancetourix

I think the answer is my wife is wrong (she hates me saying that) and if I need to go out then I can. (and will!)

Thanks for your input, lets see how it all develops and changes day by day. A police checkpoint last week stopped one of my family and told them come last Sunday it would be a lock-down and no travelling from Lamlukka to Bangkok would be allowed. That proved to be incorrect and I've had to do it several times moving stuff for them.

Seems like the PM makes an announcement and then you never hear any more about it. Most confusing!

23 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Although most people would agree that being outside for no good reason is a bad idea at the moment, no one has to justify why they're not at home, good grief.

I can not  disagree.

Which is  why I suggested that a 70 + year old individual who retains the obvious verbal capacity to justify their presence on what surely  must continue to be considered  the public domain despite cautionary reason to avoid it as  part of a protection for  both said individual and  the general community  while also not forgetting the assumed  potential risk  of any such  other individual  so deemed or otherwise  to  be in a position to so challenge either by  assigned  authority  or assumed authority who can quote justifiable motivation  based  on the many variable  factors of avoidance of the potential parenting a dependent offspring at an age where the full capacity as  such a parent  would  be obviated  not only  by  current status of age  but the undeniable potential mortality  risk of  contracting an infection at that age when   in pursuit of  means as to  avoid that parental potential being the  greater imperative in light of the current pandemic which by consequence  has also  thrust  the primary individual into a situation of general compliance to by reason of isolation with an established partner, or  not,  of the opposite sex and such duality of isolation in a  confined  space for an undefined period of  time thereby giving cause to require a short  but  direct  passage in a public  space in pursuit of the intent  by purchase of such items, specified  as condoms, to avert  the afore  mentioned  potential in humanitarian harm in spite  of  irrelevant objections  by such as  the Pope. 

I rest  my defense .????

• Sad 1

Strongly urged, is not the same as shall not.  Refrain is not a shall, but a should.  Should you pay attention and do as they ask to ensure you are not a problem, Yes you should, but Shall you do as they ask, its up to one using common sense and ensuring they do not do the things they should not be doing.  We are not shut-in's, or if we were there would need to be folks in authority driving around to ensure we stayed inside, and ensuring we were ok.  There is no curfew in Bangkok yet, but there now is in neighboring Nonthaburi.  Stay thirsty folks, and learn the difference between what words are used, and what they mean.  Stop hiding under rocks and live life daily......

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Over 70 confined to home, no problem for me, been self confined now for 3 weeks.

No bread from big C, so i have started making my own, quite good actually, bit too crusty from my wife, but ok for me.

Made some tomato soup, all ingredients home produced, lovely bowl of soup, with crusty bread to dip in, delicious.

Colin I have been doing the same for yrs. Why Corvid to find a justification for living a natural life.?? Try oranges and lime and make some marmalade, or get some frozen strawberries and make some jam. Many unripe mangos are falling , use them to make a lovely mango chutney, or add to a chicken curry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paddyfield7 said:

I'll turn 74 next Tuesday, and have no intention NOT to go out for shopping once every one or two weeks. Besides some food and wine, I will make sure to always carry some Tylenol just bought from a nearby pharmacy......

Well, Tylenol and a couple of condoms. Who knows?

6 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Don’t listen to your wife’s translation just read THai visa and It tell you everything you wanna know TIT

Oh now, don't underestimate Thai Visa .  I feel at times TV tells me between more than I want to know and too much.????

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Over 70 you are in the at risk group so staying home as much as possible is sensible, also should apply to the wife otherwise she could catch Corona and give to you.

No need for a mask, 

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says:

If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.

Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.

Your not up to latest news   article below   Also my local 7--11 and other stores/supermarket  , Macro will not alow you in without  a mask

CDC considering recommending general public wear face coverings in public

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/cdc-considering-recommending-general-public-wear-face-coverings-in-public/ar-BB11W3xA?li=BBnb7Kz

34 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Your not up to latest news   article below   Also my local 7--11 and other stores/supermarket  , Macro will not alow you in without  a mask

CDC considering recommending general public wear face coverings in public

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/cdc-considering-recommending-general-public-wear-face-coverings-in-public/ar-BB11W3xA?li=BBnb7Kz

So far I've been going to many shops and stores with no mask - 7-11, lotus, bank, tops, pizza company, government offices and more. Some places check temperature, most don't. Some places insist on cleaning hands with gel, most don't

13 hours ago, MrMo said:

I wouldn't quite agree with that.   Listen to her (and smile while you do so) BUT get it confirmed from elsewhere.   ThaiVisa is pretty reasonable on most matters but you still need to filter the chaff from the weed (have I remembered that correctly).

Wheat from the chaff and pay attention to Ubonjoe