Over 70 confined to home - law or recommendation only?

cliveshep

Can anyone shed light on my questions please?

My wife insists that after 1st April, I, being over 70, must now stay in the house. As pretty much any and all information on Government or dictatorial orders only come to me via my wife's translation, and appear to get to her via LINE I'd really like to know if the earlier stuff about this that I read on Bangkok Post is correct or not. That said that the Government "STRONGLY RECOMMEND" that over 70's stay in the home, not that it would leave them open to arrest and being hauled off to some Gulag if they didn't.

So is it still only a "strong recommendation" or a new albeit emergency only law? I ask because my wife cannot drive our manual gearbox truck so guess who drives to the market and shops? 

As far as lock-down is concerned Thai Watsadu is closed unfortunately but most other hardware stores and every other type of shop seem to be open. Even some restaurants appeared to be doing business. Is this range of open shops likely to change or are they just ignoring the new orders? Around  Minburi police were closing down fast food stalls and shops along Hathai Rat today so has there been a change or addition to the lock-down rules stopping buying cooked foods to take away? It all seems very confusing!

Also reported by my wife, and again dependant on her translation from LINE it seems the PM has said pick-ups selling fresh food have to stop doing so. They probably won't stop in our village anyway but just wondered if anyone else had heard this? Or is it just a mis-translation? 

45 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Over 70 confined to home, no problem for me, been self confined now for 3 weeks.

No bread from big C, so i have started making my own, quite good actually, bit too crusty from my wife, but ok for me.

Made some tomato soup, all ingredients home produced, lovely bowl of soup, with crusty bread to dip in, delicious.

was salivating while reading it, lucky you, enjoy 555

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bryacar said:

Has the question been definitively answered? Is it the law or just advice and guidance?

just a guidance.... maybe his wife was playing April fools 1 day ahead

My wife has had me under house arrest for a week......a friend sent some kind of publication with rules out last week.....not sure where it came from but it seemed like some sort of government sponsored document.  It said if you are over 70 or have ongoing health issues you should stay home.  I watched the Prime Minister say we will be confined to our homes which I thought was in effect last week.....but have yet to see a shred of anything from him defining the terms of this "shelter in place" restriction.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrMo said:

I wouldn't quite agree with that.   Listen to her (and smile while you do so) BUT get it confirmed from elsewhere.   ThaiVisa is pretty reasonable on most matters but you still need to filter the chaff from the weed (have I remembered that correctly).

separate wheat from chaff

• Like 2

We went out today to Tesco in Pattaya, wore masks wife sanitized the handles of the trolly ,my hands every 5 minutes ,it was very quiet ,shelves full of stuff ,only bread seemed in short supply ,plenty of eggs ,all other shops except banks and coffee shops closed ,take away only in food hall .

3 hours ago, Toany said:

you should only go out to immigration when required. Thai law

Of course going to immigration is Thai law in order to do your extensions, all else can be done on-line, but going outside under the decree is not a LAW, sometimes I wonder about people.

47 minutes ago, TGIR said:

My wife has had me under house arrest for a week......a friend sent some kind of publication with rules out last week.....not sure where it came from but it seemed like some sort of government sponsored document.  It said if you are over 70 or have ongoing health issues you should stay home.  I watched the Prime Minister say we will be confined to our homes which I thought was in effect last week.....but have yet to see a shred of anything from him defining the terms of this "shelter in place" restriction.

Should and Shall are not the same.....Should is a recommendation, Shall is the gospel.

John: Darling you Should get me a beer

Teerak: .......chirping crikets

John: Darling you shall go get me a beer

Teerak: Who made you god and told you that you could give me orders

John: Yes darling I shall go get the beer myself

Teerak to her Sister: Finally, John knows he should not ask me to do anything for him, and he shall do it himself.

Sister: We do rule the roost don't we, you want some more Som Tam and Leo

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 2

Do not change your behavior to avoid being infected. Assume you are infected, and change your behavior to avoid transmitting the virus. Each of us should act as though we have already been infected by Covid-19.

It's time for Social Responsibility. There are way too many non-essential businesses still operating, and too many people walking around without masks.

The longer some people avoid social distancing, the longer the rest of us are going to need it.

Stay home except for food runs, pharmacy trips and other life-saving needs.  Buying new clothes is not a life saving need, nor is sitting together with friends over a beer.

Take responsibility for the people near by. The life you save may be theirs.

1 hour ago, paddyfield7 said:

Could also be Paracetamol or anything, just something you need to go to a Pharmacy for, whether you really go or not - it was meant ironic......

lol. Ok. "Pretext"  for being out and  about. But  a need for such  medication  might  raise  alarm!

Condoms   might be a  better  ruse?  ????

Edited by Dumbastheycome
  • Haha 1

Over 70 you are in the at risk group so staying home as much as possible is sensible, also should apply to the wife otherwise she could catch Corona and give to you.

No need for a mask, 

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says:

If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.

Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.

• Like 1

73, retired to Chiang Mai 8 years ago. We were out in the car today running errands. Leave the house or car, mask is de rigueur. Food stores scanning temperature, giving hand sanitizer ... never a question about age, same for motorbike police stops. I would not worry about age stops ... anyway Thais, always being Thais always guess my age 10 years younger! I am not aware of any law concerning your question but I have read of the recommendation due to being at higher risk.

• Like 2