If there was a Lockdown.......

ianezy0

I have to admit to be concerned, living in Thailand through this period of uncertainty:

1. Will there be a rise in crime. Many people have or will lose there job and have no means to go home.

Where or how will they live with little or no money.

2. Will the soi dogs, a lot of them being regularly fed, hang around in dangerious packs and ransack bins and attack       more people. Will the council address the issue. Many will starve. I know a few would welcome this but it could become dangerous to walk in most areas.

3. Will there become a more definitive line between Thais and Expats, i.e. possible hate or racism.

4. How serious do you think the tourism of Thailand will be affected if it lasts longer than 12 months.

I know none of us have the answers, but it is a scary thought of what was once a thriving country and now to think how long will it take for things to gain normality once again.

This post is not to invite any Thai bashing, rather to provoke a debate on the future of Thailands tourism industry.

If you just have abusive comments to contribute, please don’t bother.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vigilante said:

The duration of the outbreak will determine most issues you raise (and many you didn't)

I think in a months or two most govts will relax the  quarantines and let the virus 'burn' thru the population

Face masks will probably be compulsory for a year or more

Closing down the economy will kill many more (suicides ,crime, mental issues etc) and incur humungous economic losses with no guarantee of containment

Yes, mental issues could be a big one.

23 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

1. Will there be a rise in crime. Many people have or will lose there job and have no means to go home.

Where or how will they live with little or no money.

Yes, probably a rise in Brit abuse of Thais and crime. Just read a report about these new attacks in the UK:

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/03/31/nhs-nurses-banned-wearing-uniforms-public-abuse/

Growing paranoia, victimism (seen here already), "little or no money" preceded by an outbreak of loud whinging. May need to be rounded up and shipped out. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I have sensed a period of things being very unsettled for the last couple of years... this isolation from virus enforces that...

I hope not correct but I think the world will never be the same again...

I hope not correct but I think the world will never be the same again...

It was said  also after WW1 and again after WW2.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

the Chinese will be barred immediately, probably forever.

Just before this all got "really serious"  there where a couple of  shops/restaurants   with signs baring people from China.

Then some "netizens" where outraged  and they changed  it to all "foreigners"    the netizens where again outraged and the authorities told them to take the signs down.

We are not in normal times. So abnormal behaviour will spring up world wide . It’s how we adapt. If we stay sensible ,we can be fine. Certainly , bad things happen, but hey, maybe we should realise that a life is worth more than all the money in the world. Shame Trump sees the opposite. 
And hopefully, we all realise that “more ,more, more”  is just bullsh#t

12 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

does every owner, bars, restaurants etc, not have the authority to keep anyone out they want?

Try putting up a sign 'no blacks' outside your shop in the UK and see.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes I know that, but unlike the UK, there are no laws regarding racism in Thailand.

I guess you could try a prominent sign 'No Chinese' and see what happens.

I'm guessing it wouldn't result in a happy ending.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

When this lockdown is over, and the Chinese start coming to Thailand, and I predict the Thai government will let them in very quickly, if I was a Restaurant, Bar or Massage shop owner etc, the Chinese will be barred immediately, probably forever.

Nice to see you agreeing with me for a change Fairynuff. ????

• Sad 1

The British Foreign Secretary has stated that there must be a "day of reckoning" with the Chinese.  I doubt whether we can read into that, that the Brits will send a gunboat to China (as they did in the past).

My personal wish is that China be hauled before the World Court in The Hague (Den Hague), and charged with Crimes Against Humanity.

The Chinese would no doubt claim that they cannot be held to account for something which was an "accident".  I would counter that, even if true, they should be forced to pay reparations to all countries, businesses and individuals effected by Covid-19, as it is common cause that the "plague" originated in China.

China first did its best to sweep the problem under the carpet and then did not do enough about containment.  We shall never know the true extent of the number of deaths from novel corona virus in China, but the ones who became victims in other countries have been accounted for and quantified.

• Sad 1

Some posts removed. You are reminded of forum rules.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.