Thai Girls Slitting Their Wrists

DragonQuest

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Self mutilation is common in girls who have been sexually abused as children. Sexual abuse of children is very common in Thai culture, but rarely talked about.

You'll find these girls also suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder or something similar.

What, all of them? That's a very broad statement. Can you back it up? Articles? Links? Statistics?

Here's one but there are many others.

I'm sure you know how to use google. Educate yourself.

Yes, I do know how to use google. Thank you. Can't imagine why I would waste my time trying to find studies that would support your generalisation, which I don't agree with. Had you qualified your statement with a percentage, or the word "some", I would have agreed with you, but you stated something that sounded like you meant "all". When I questioned you on that point ("What all of them?"), you didn't qualify it, leading me to believe that was what you were saying.

Unfortunately, your link backs up "some", but not "all".

From your link:

CONCLUSIONS: Female inpatients with borderline personality disorder who dissociate may represent a sizable subgroup of patients with the disorder who are at especially high risk for self-mutilation, childhood abuse, depression, and utilization of psychiatric treatment. The strong correlation between dissociation and self-mutilation independent of childhood abuse history should alert clinicians to address these symptoms first while exercising caution in attributing them to a history of abuse.

Note the word "may", not "will".

Also:

RESULTS: Fifty percent of the subjects had a score of 15 or more on the Dissociative Experiences Scale, indicating pathological levels of dissociation. Fifty-two percent reported a history of self-mutilation, and 60% reported a history of childhood physical and/or sexual abuse. The subjects who dissociated were more likely than those who did not to self-mutilate and to report childhood abuse.

This does not come close to proving your initial statement: "You'll also find that these girls suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder, or something similar"