Governors put on alert for tougher measures to contain Covid-19

webfact

9 minutes ago, Abmong said:

WHO and everyone has already backtracked on that. Everyone should be wearing face masks

Yes and that's good, but the 100% enforcement in a hot climate is not so good. Once the masks get wet from sweat, their effectiveness drops dramatically. I was taking mine off in the fresh air and avoiding people by some distance, but then on again, if inside. And obviously then, I have to be really careful with my handling as I had been, but now that option has gone ????

13 minutes ago, joe jadore said:

Allow the sale of hydroxchloroquine and azithromycin in pharmacies! Hydroxychloroqune is a "OLD" and trusted anti Malaria medicine, its safe/cheap, unless your massively obese and have a heart problem. Its a prophylactic, think condom you sex crazed ex pats, ie; it protects you from catching COVID-19. USA is starting to realize this!!! France, Italy, South Korea and supposedly China are now using this stuff and it's working. 

Thai Gov, let us buy it, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain! Your infected and death figures are thankfully very low. Improve on that with HydroxC.

That's what Trump is peddling and his own advisor Dr Fauci is not supporting... I'm more inclined to believe the good Doctor over Trump.

No one, not France, not China are saying it works, quite the opposite, even Thailand's own medical study found it has no effect other than as a placebo. You're better off drinking hot lime juice with no sugar... Cheaper too.

Besides faith in Trump? We don't do that here.

1 minute ago, Abmong said:

That's what Trump is peddling and his own advisor Dr Fauci is not supporting... I'm more inclined to believe the good Doctor over Trump.

No one, not France, not China are saying it works, quite the opposite, even Thailand's own medical study found it has no effect other than as a placebo. You're better off drinking hot lime juice with no sugar... Cheaper too.

Besides faith in Trump? We don't do that here.

There seems no clear evidence that Hydroxychloroquine or Chloroquine is an effective therapy and it can have nasty side effects.  The same is true of the existing anti-virals including HIV treatments that have been touted in Thailand. Azithromycin is just a broad spectrum antibiotic which is known to have some effect on some viruses.  Its side effects are much less than the other suggested treatments and it can also help prevent opportunistic bacterial infections, e.g. bacterial pneumonia, which is what killed most of the Spanish Flu victims, from adding to patients' woes.

• Sad 1

There are no accurate numbers. Anywhere, not just for Thailand.

Myriad reasons why not, including this from Dr. John Lee writing at the Spectator (March 29):
"there is no international standard method for attributing or recording causes of death. Also, normally, most respiratory deaths never have a specific infective cause recorded, whereas at the moment one can expect all positive Covid-19 results associated with a death to be recorded. Again, this is not splitting hairs. Imagine a population where more and more of us have already had Covid-19, and where every ill and dying patient is tested for the virus. The deaths apparently due to Covid-19, the Covid trajectory, will approach the overall death rate. It would appear that all deaths were caused by Covid-19 – would this be true? No. The severity of the epidemic would be indicated by how many extra deaths (above normal) there were overall"

Does anyone have recent death stats <from all causes> for Thailand? 

Pooled number of deaths for Europe are here:
https://www.euromomo.eu/outputs/number.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Allset said:

According to one newspaper in Bangkok it is the entire country but I don’t think they’re enforcing it because deliveries are still getting made late at night. Although it is better to order during the day before 8PM. Correction I don’t think they’re enforcing it up here. I don’t know about other cities though. 

deliveries to supermarkets etc. are considered essential services and exempt. or do you just mean newspapers? Just found this more informative picture:EUwEfEXUUAA1LIo?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by vermin on arrival

3 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

They are not accurate, i'd imagine if 1,000 reported = 10,000 real, its been spreading in Thailand since the very early days, but has been neither too hot, nor too cold, (OR DRY), my perception is, Thailand is a sweet spot, it continues to spread, but you see less real impact (deaths, serious cases), also the locals are very 'hardy', i know three builders (left for their home province) were down with it, they just carried on like normal, whilst spluttering away behind their makeshift masks, and this was two weeks ago. 

they admit too 25000 tests in total in 3 months - that says it all really 

That is about 3+ days testing in the west 

Yes the figures in Thailand are accurate but the real issue is why are they not testing to any level worth a (deleted) - because they don't want real picture revealed - only what they want to be seen  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

How can you tell if there are no covid19 cases?Just curious as how you can tell by just looking or if you have access to medical records?

like many others posting on here they are expecting sick people to be in a hospital here - they obviously aren't grasping what happens here when someone reports they are ill with a fever - they are ordered to go home and deal with it

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johnarth said:

In the part of Thai. there I live there is no sign  of the virus

you realise you'd need an electron microscope to see it 

How do you know every village every house you pass doesn't have ill people suffering - open your eyes dude - by their own admission 25000 tests in 3 months is a joke

8 minutes ago, w94005m said:

Yes and that's good, but the 100% enforcement in a hot climate is not so good. Once the masks get wet from sweat, their effectiveness drops dramatically. I was taking mine off in the fresh air and avoiding people by some distance, but then on again, if inside. And obviously then, I have to be really careful with my handling as I had been, but now that option has gone ????

A lot of Bangkokians already wore masks for pollution, it may not be the right sorts of masks but at least it was some protection if not optimal. Plus, as soon as news broke about Wuhan, Despite early Thai government inaction, Thailand was still doing more than Europe or the US were. SARS was still fresh in Asian/SE Asian minds. BKK Thais began wearing medical masks early in spite of what WHO was saying at the time. And Thais are gossip Queens and hyperparanoid about diseases, knows from experience governments can't/won't do a good job protecting them so are proactive about protecting themselves. So in BKK at least, masks wear adopted by alot of people very fast unlike in Europe. Ofc there are idiots walking around thinking they're invincible, or the working poor who did know any better... But every country has those to one degree or another.

30 minutes ago, Arkady said:

There seems no clear evidence that Hydroxychloroquine or Chloroquine is an effective therapy and it can have nasty side effects.  The same is true of the existing anti-virals including HIV treatments that have been touted in Thailand. Azithromycin is just a broad spectrum antibiotic which is known to have some effect on some viruses.  Its side effects are much less than the other suggested treatments and it can also help prevent opportunistic bacterial infections, e.g. bacterial pneumonia, which is what killed most of the Spanish Flu victims, from adding to patients' woes.

No arguments there. but from my unprofessional medical knowledge... The HIV treatments that were used were ones that boosted the immune system in general thereby having at least some efficacy in helping to fight the virus in lieu of an anti-viral that's actually effective against COVID-19.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, smedly said:

like many others posting on here they are expecting sick people to be in a hospital here - they obviously aren't grasping what happens here when someone reports they are ill with a fever - they are ordered to go home and deal with it

Most countries are doing this, basically, if you are unwell and have covid like symptoms, stay at home, self isolate and only call for help if it becomes essential.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thailand said:

The biting of the bum has started. Bound to happen, the military govt can no longer continue to justify their manufactured figures. These extreme measures pretty much confirm that it is going to get much worse.

Agree,with the paltry amount of testing,figures must be higher,deaths can be struck off as something else,look at the road deaths,not counted if you die later in hospital,they have to get serious here,everything should close except for food shops ,pharmacies and essential services,sure a lot of people will go broke,but money ain,t much good if your dead.

• Like 1

And to think people thought European countries slow to react.First confirmed case outside China was Thailand in January.Thats how long the head been buried in sand.My Thai g/f father been going more funerals than usual.They just laugh and say didn't die from covid 19 as they party for 3 days with a hundred people.Totally missing the point of how it spreads.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

That's a valid point social distancing doesn't mean lockdown it means avoid close contact.

A great many jobs require that employees be in close contact with each other, and/or with customers to complete production or transactions for their products. So I have to disagree with you. Effective social distancing does require the closing of at least a majority of businesses. 

I love these "sock it to me harder, boss" posts. May I suggest that instead of bleating fruitlessly on ThaiVisa, you all sign a petition to the Thai government pleading for a 24 hour curfew and Martial law.

Oh, and while you're about it, lobby for mandatory vaccination of the entire population when Bill and Melinda deliver the goods.

Jeez!

Edited by Krataiboy

5 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

This was told to us yesterday direct from Thai authorities too. 

Are all forms of delivery also to be shutdown? ... This kind of thinking is truly a post apocalyptic view. The instructions for personal hygiene and social distancing, combined with a wide range of operating hours for sales of essential goods and services, is the right level of caution to mitigate against spread of the virus. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mattd said:

Yes, this was the one I meant, there are normally two in the car park area, I forgot about the front entrance, as always drive to there, as do most, when I got there about 9am there were about 30 people waiting for it to open, all at the entrance! I declined and went to Villa little walk instead.

I hope you didn't fill up your cart at Villa's prices! ???? They're good for "hard to find" western items; but very expensive for items that can be bought elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Every shop has a manager, it's easy to stop panic buying by restricting amounts of certain items people can buy! 

Signs at those shelf positions clearly stating what each person is allowed to buy.

A check point before the check-out making sure these are followed, items returned to the shelf if required.

That's what is done at Makro. Signs are posted on the shelves. Cashiers are aware of the limits, and will not ring up items over the limit. 

5 hours ago, shackleton said:

Cant see a full lock down coming up should go the same way as the UK

You have to have a good reason for being out ie shopping ,working. Travelling ,Go to the bank and here especially Immigration for what ever reason

Something like 8am to 8pm 

Can you please explain to me how such a "conditional" lockdown can be enforced? What is to prevent a person driving or walking along from lying to the official asking the question? How could the official possibly know whether or not the person was telling the truth? Is someone going to be assigned to follow everyone to their 'stated destination' to verify it? All the government of any free country can do is publish a strongly recommended curfew; and ask that all the good people of the community comply with it. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Really? 2,169 cases in a country with 69 million people in 77 provinces. Where is the emergency? Please tell us! 

Lack of testing means we have NO IDEA how many cases there are in Thailand! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, patsfangr said:

Can you please explain to me how such a "conditional" lockdown can be enforced? What is to prevent a person driving or walking along from lying to the official asking the question? How could the official possibly know whether or not the person was telling the truth? Is someone going to be assigned to follow everyone to their 'stated destination' to verify it? All the government of any free country can do is publish a strongly recommended curfew; and ask that all the good people of the community comply with it. 

In Wuhan the military welded-shut the doors of apartment buildings and houses and turned firehoses onto, or beat, anyone seen on the streets. "Free countries" are the ones where the virus is rampant, unfortunately.

Edited by robsamui
  • Sad 1