Tiger at New York's Bronx Zoo tests positive for coronavirus

webfact

Tiger at New York's Bronx Zoo tests positive for coronavirus

Nathan Layne

REUTERS.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Nadia, a 4-year-old female Malayan tiger at the Bronx Zoo, that the zoo said on April 5, 2020 has tested positive for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is seen in an undated handout photo provided by the Bronx zoo in New York. WCS/Handout via REUTERS

(Reuters) - A tiger at the Bronx Zoo in New York City has tested positive for the respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus, in the first known case of a human infecting an animal and making it sick, the zoo’s chief veterinarian said on Sunday.

Nadia, the 4-year-old Malayan tiger that tested positive, was screened for the COVID-19 disease after developing a dry cough along with three other tigers and three lions, the Wildlife Conservation Society, which manages the zoo, said in a statement. All of the cats are expected to recover, it said.

The virus that causes COVID-19 is believed to have spread from animals to humans, and a handful of animals have tested positive in Hong Kong.

But officials believe this is a unique case because Nadia became sick after exposure to an asymptomatic zoo employee, Paul Calle, chief veterinarian at the Bronx Zoo, told Reuters. Calle said they did not know which employee infected the tiger.

“This is the first time that any of us know of anywhere in the world that a person infected the animal and the animal got sick,” Calle said, adding that they planned to share the findings with other zoos and institutions. “Hopefully we will all have a better understanding as a result.”

While the other tigers and lions were also exhibiting symptoms, the zoo decided to test only Nadia because she was the sickest and had started to lose her appetite, and they did not want to subject all the cats to anesthesia, Calle said.

“The tigers and lions weren’t terribly sick,” he said.

Nadia underwent X-rays, an ultrasound and blood tests to try to figure out what was ailing her. They decided to test for COVID-19 given the surge in cases in New York City, the epicenter of the outbreak in the United States.

The first tiger at the zoo, which has been shut since mid-March, began showing signs of illness on March 27, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture National Veterinary Services Laboratories, which performed the test.

(Reporting by Nathan Layne in Wilton, Connecticut; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-06
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If tigers can catch it, what about domestic cats?

Time for Tiddles to go out into the world and fend for herself.

Dogs and cats can get it, and in some research they have found virus in cat's excrement 2 weeks after infection. Neither cat nor dog showed any symptoms of infection, though. There was an article about it a few days back, I think ThaiVisa had it posted as well, asking sick people to stay away from pets...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Dogs and cats can get it, and in some research they have found virus in cat's excrement 2 weeks after infection. Neither cat nor dog showed any symptoms of infection, though. There was an article about it a few days back, I think ThaiVisa had it posted as well, asking sick people to stay away from pets...

can dogs / cats transmit it to humans?  lots of soi dogs  a loose 

9 minutes ago, atyclb said:

can dogs / cats transmit it to humans?  lots of soi dogs  a loose 

I would say so, i believe it can be transmitted either way by the looks of it.

A very dangerous turn of events id say.

Looks like this virus isnt going away anytime soon.

4 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Ye Gods,were doomed,this is the real deal,if insects get it,we are doubly doomed,it's the end of the world as we know it.

hmm.... very worry some worrisome indeed, should i withdrawal all my funds from the bank 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjarmstrong said:

Next could be sheep and cows then how will the food industry cope. I'm a vegetarian but that won't help because the rest of the family and most of my friends eat meat. This thing could go anywhere.

I’d lock my door at night if I were you????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wombat said:

one has to ask why a tiger is being tested for coronavirus

Be she had a cough. duh

2 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Ye Gods,were doomed,this is the real deal,if insects get it,we are doubly doomed,it's the end of the world as we know it.

Doubt they can, but we're all going to get it anyway, so don't sweat it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wombat said:

one has to ask why a tiger is being tested for coronavirus

Well, as you know these days every living creature that coughs is a real Covid carrier/transmitter/paria.

Take care you smokers.

11 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If tigers can catch it, what about domestic cats?

Time for Tiddles to go out into the world and fend for herself.

Letting Tiddles out is only going to spread it further or expose your pet to other carriers outside.

My concern is.... are mosquitos carriers? If so, we have had it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

This virus boggles the mind...no one in the world has a handle on the scope of this menace...

This virus having the capability too be transmitted by animals .

Well , there goes my pork , chicken / dishes , and not forgetting Tiger ribs,  yummy...

Edited by elliss

1 hour ago, hugocnx said:

Who hugged that tiger!!

Chinese people.

Send the tiger to Whuan , asap .

Atishoo , the name of the Chinese virus ..

Edited by elliss

10 minutes ago, elliss said:

This virus having the capability too be transmitted by animals .

Well , there goes my pork , chicken / dishes , and not forgetting Tiger ribs,  yummy...

Don't forget to kick your dogs and cats the curb.  ????

• Haha 1