Prime Minister Surayud Discharged From Hospital

george

PM discharged from hospital

p28875.peg

BANGKOK: -- Thai Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont was discharged from hospital here Wednesday, two days after being hospitalised, affirming he is healthy and ready to return to work as usual.

Gen. Surayud was admitted at privately-run Bangkok Hospital on Monday reportedly for a medical check-up as he was said to have had an unspecified problem with his colon which caused an illness some eight years ago.

However, a team of doctors told a press conference Wednesday that they found nothing amiss in his colon, and gave the prime minister a clean bill of health to return to work.

The prime minister's absence from his official duties happened to come amid rumours that he was disheartened and planned to quit his job due to pressures from many sides. The rumours, however, were denied by his cabinet members and the government spokesperson.

With cheerful smiles on his face, the prime minister told the press conference before leaving hospital Wednesday afternoon that the results of medical check-up found nothing wrong with both his heart and colon. He stressed that he was healthy now and was able to carry on his duty without any problem.

"According to the medical check-up results, my health is in a normal condition and I can continue my work with no problem", said the premier.

However, Gen. Surayud declined to comment on other issues -- including politics -- at the press conference. The premier said that he would leave other matters for Thursday when he will resume his duties which were cancelled for three days due to his absence.

Gen. Surayud is scheduled to let senior government officials meet him Thursday to pay respect to him and ask for his blessing on the occasion of Songkran Festival, Thailand's traditional New Year.

The prime minister is also scheduled to visit the violence-plagued deep South on April 20.

--TNA 2007-04-11

Hopefully this means a bit of stability. You never know what you are going to get when big changes are made at the top.

... Well... More stability ? On the contrary, it seems that we are going deeper and deeper... into instability.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont would be ready to step down to prevent the country from plunging into political crisis if protests against the government's slowness in tackling problems mount, a close friend said yesterday.

Gen Surayud made the offer to resign at a recent meeting with Council for National Security (CNS) chairman Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin, said Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/12Apr2007_news01.php

Thats more stable than anything, really, IMHO. He is going to say that no matter whether he means it or not. But if he does mean it (and he very well may) then it would still lend stability because it is a backstop of sorts to prevent bigger problems. Remember, the "top" is ultimately the people in ANY form of government...

Thats more stable than anything, really, IMHO. He is going to say that no matter whether he means it or not. But if he does mean it (and he very well may) then it would still lend stability because it is a backstop of sorts to prevent bigger problems. Remember, the "top" is ultimately the people in ANY form of government...

I beg to differ.

First, I believe that thai politics is like "sovietology".

Of course, Surayud must have said, like any gentleman : "okay guys, I can resign if it can help the country" blabla bla. In private.

The probleme here is : this "info" went public. Was relayed in public by a top CNS member : the Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas.

Among rumors, among the episode at the hospital (the famous 3 days check up)... This can not be innocent. Plus the "mini" bomb of monday night. Plus the south, where is the situation is getting out of control.

I really do think that "they" are preparing the field for... the departure of Surayud. Smoothly. No hard feeling.

There is obviously a "rift" between him and "them". The best proof was I think the "no" from Surayud when Sonthi suggested to take emergency decree in bangkok.

Plus many others facts : south, the struggle against Thaksin, the bombings...

CNS, the hardcore military, are not happy with Surayud.

So... make another coup ? That would be a serious blow... It's more convenient, smarter, to push the poor Surayud toward the exit.

But by doing this, the idea is not to keep the same kind of leadership (otherwise, why bother ?). From a logical point of you, government number 2 under CNS would be... should be harder. With a stronger fist.

In this regard, I think the word "stability" might not be the best one...