Citrus trees now.

Nice looking tree farm pics, green everywhere. I am in Nongbualamphu and tried the market tree sales but the 2 mangosteen trees withered up and died even after building shade tents. Do you have them and any nurturing advice?

Nice! 

I'm curious, what pest and disease issues to you encounter in your nursery and how to you manage these? Psyllid/HLB, leaf miner, mealybug, canker, crown rot, etc. 

Are you willing to share info on your container soil medium, fertilization, pest and disease prevention program? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Nice! 

I'm curious, what pest and disease issues to you encounter in your nursery and how to you manage these? Psyllid/HLB, leaf miner, mealybug, canker, crown rot, etc. 

Are you willing to share info on your container soil medium, fertilization, pest and disease prevention program? 

Hi Drtreelove.

for pests I spray every 2 week with a molasses based mix of Em, neem oil, seaweed extract and soap it keeps most pests in check. I had a problem with what I found to be a matalic borer a year or so ago constant spraying has sorted it, I believe the em kills the larvae. I just had a big outbreak of thrifts and had to go a little stronger to kill it off so used ambectin once then back to the neem and that’s sorted it.

leaf miner is not so bad on the finger lime and I’ve found they love nice young pomelo leaves over other citrus so keep some young pomelo around.

Only canker I’ve had is from trees I’ve had has been on young trees or rootstock I’ve had sent in.... I remove and burn them.

soil mix in the baskets I use my soil, sand, rice husk, burned rice husk, coco cior, coco husk... ad manure for orange lemon lime and pomelo but not for finger lime... no manure for finger lime.

keeping up with the spray is important and Spray everywhere trunk and all dripping wet.

ive found it much better to grow all citrus on for a year or so in the baskets then plant out start of rainy season when the tree is a nice size and much stronger.

Hi I wonder if you could answer a question for me given your obvious level of knowledge.

I had a lime tree which was doing well. Then over the course of a week it lost every leaf it had. When I went to dig out the now dead tree I found its root bowl was virtually non existent.

Any idea what might have caused this? 

13 minutes ago, Grafting Ken said:

I’ve had the same problem in my early days could be over watering then root rot... maybe also a rootstock problem.. most trees here are grafted onto pomelo and I’m my opinion that’s not so good.. we graft onto troyer, Kleo, rangpur and volka. Again had problems buying in diseased stock so now we grow our own rootstocks.

55EDE328-4E92-4947-A4E3-A47838AB1CCB.jpeg

86D316CA-A4AD-4423-9739-60A424371989.jpeg

Which of the 'Lemon' trees is the closest to what I call proper lemons that you would use for G&T's please? I had a friend, who unfortunately is no longer with us,but he had two massive 'Lemon' trees in his garden in Hua-Hin and they were heaving with lemons. He swore that it was because he peed on them each day!

39 minutes ago, cheshiremusicman said:

Which of the 'Lemon' trees is the closest to what I call proper lemons that you would use for G&T's please? I had a friend, who unfortunately is no longer with us,but he had two massive 'Lemon' trees in his garden in Hua-Hin and they were heaving with lemons. He swore that it was because he peed on them each day!

Spanish lisbon

eureka

sorrento

assam is very juicy big fruit great for lemonade grows very fast and fruits very heavy here no seeds or very little. Assam and Lisbon.... some not ripe yet.

B459978A-4F0F-4B43-88D1-C7B301D3D418.jpeg

ABA5B8FA-2980-4DDD-A89F-BEFB4F5DEE72.jpeg

A0BA5E71-EE68-4E92-B94F-3CB1AE19305A.jpeg

8068ECB6-C25B-462C-A08A-2E8A17A95C85.jpeg

3D94A79F-3622-4F44-A269-B80284E2B884.jpeg

AAFD7162-7F72-497B-B39A-E264C8019E35.jpeg

Edited by Grafting Ken
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If people persist in commenting on Moderation, against forum rules, as they have, I will remove this topic completely.

10) Do not comment on moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. This also includes posting an emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. 

You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

21) No posts/topics, user names or avatars that are commercial in nature are allowed for members other than sponsors. If you want to become an advertiser on ThaiVisa and enjoy the benefits of having a business name and the ability to post then please contact our Marketing department. https://marketing.thaivisa.com/

@Grafting Ken I greatly appreciate the brief lesson on lemons and limes, and the knowledge you've imparted on pest control. I've had similar bug problems but haven't nailed it yet. Can I ask what "Em" is, and where you source neem oil? I'm pretty clear on everything else I hope. And you can't beat those Sorrentos :). Nice orchard you've got there too. Are you in Bangkok or upcountry?

On 4/13/2020 at 6:28 PM, Grafting Ken said:

Hi Drtreelove.

for pests I spray every 2 week with a molasses based mix of Em, neem oil, seaweed extract and soap it keeps most pests in check. I had a problem with what I found to be a matalic borer a year or so ago constant spraying has sorted it, I believe the em kills the larvae. I just had a big outbreak of thrifts and had to go a little stronger to kill it off so used ambectin once then back to the neem and that’s sorted it.

leaf miner is not so bad on the finger lime and I’ve found they love nice young pomelo leaves over other citrus so keep some young pomelo around.

Only canker I’ve had is from trees I’ve had has been on young trees or rootstock I’ve had sent in.... I remove and burn them.

soil mix in the baskets I use my soil, sand, rice husk, burned rice husk, coco cior, coco husk... ad manure for orange lemon lime and pomelo but not for finger lime... no manure for finger lime.

keeping up with the spray is important and Spray everywhere trunk and all dripping wet.

ive found it much better to grow all citrus on for a year or so in the baskets then plant out start of rainy season when the tree is a nice size and much stronger.

That's an intelligent program.  

For the benefit of others who may be interested, I would like to ad my two satang comments.  

The two week intervals are necessary for organic program pro-active maintenance. One week schedule may be required for any active infestation. Chemical pesticides may have longer residual effectiveness, but if we want an organic program, we have to face the reality of limited period of residual repellent activity for biological, botanical products.

The bio-pesticide mix is probably over-kill, but better safe than sorry.  Insecticidal soap at the two week interval would probably do it, including for control of the metallic beetle larvae, and especially with a neem seed extract product as a repellent and reproductive disruptor. Along with good water management (drought stressed trees are more susceptible to beetle borers.) Maybe, but I doubt it was the EM that killed larvae. It was more likely the soap and neem that repelled adult beetles from laying eggs that become larval flathead borers.  Ken is smart to recommend spraying the woody branches and tree trunk as well as the foliage. 

Molasses is a sugary medium for any biological fungicide product to thrive and "colonize" (grow on the leaf or root surface to serve as a beneficial biological deterrent to pathogenic (disease causing) organisims. In this case EM (effective micro-organisms). The seaweed concentrate helps, and depending on formulation and absorption through leaf surface and stomata will aid in trace mineral nutrition.  Compost tea or a commercial biological fungicide is an alternative to the EM. 

"I just had a big outbreak of thrifts"  Typo, should be "thrips", in case anyone wants to search for info on these hard to control insect pests. They are a tiny, elongated, usually black colored insect that inhabits and feeds, usually on the underside of the leaf surface. They have rasping and sucking mouth parts that expose the leaf sap. Damage becomes visible as "stipling" discoloration of the leaf surface, leaf curling and branch dieback if advanced . The abemectin would have been effective because it is a "translaminate" insecticide that penetrates the entire leaf and poisons the food source for the thrips. Insecticidal soap and neem are contact and repellent products and may not have been as effective for control of an advanced infestation, but should be good for preventive maintenace if used regularly, especially of the lower leaf surfaces are covered with the botanical spray. Ken is wise to use abemectin only once or twice for an urgent control situation. He obviously knows that ongoing use of any systemic can build up in residual concentration in the plant tissues and is not appropriate for a food product in an organic program.  

Adding a complete nutrition formula to the planting soil will do a lot for pest and disease management.  Zinc is being touted for corona virus prevention in humans. Zinc, Copper and other micronutrients and balanced macronutrients are just as important for plant health and resistance to pests and disease. 

Edited by drtreelove
  • Thanks 2