Touring caravan. Anyone tried it?

18 minutes ago, johng said:

Don't you need some special licence and documents to drive a truck like that around Thailand ? it certainly doesn't have Thai number plates.

A touring biker from AUS once told me Thailand is not a signatory to the carnet system which means they must have some other method of providing temporary documentation and insurance for these vehicles.

Try standing at the top of a travellator between floors at a shopping mall, with your arms spread wide, so as to prevent anyone else from getting off.   This will be a good Thai road caravan simulator, in that you generate a similar level of joy for those on the escalator as you do for other road users.  It could possibly be a slightly safer option, and responses slightly more tempered, as travellator users are less inclined to carry guns.

• Like 1

After the China Virus finishes , theres no reason not to go touring .

Just replace the caravan/trailer with a room at the destination.

Theres an oversupply of rooms almost everywhere .

Plus nearly every room will have a/c , and many places will have a pool.

Stay somewhere central the the town , and walk out for dinner.

All up , touring like this will cost way less than 'caravaning it' in Australia , NZ , or Europe.

And Mods ...please help get rid of the in your face pop-up !

Edited by zaZa9
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

A touring biker from AUS once told me Thailand is not a signatory to the carnet system which means they must have some other method of providing temporary documentation and insurance for these vehicles.

Not a carnet as such but a temp import requires a cash deposit that covers the amount of liable taxes and duties and if forfeited if the vehicle does not leave Thailand before the temp import permit expires.

I beleive that's why the Thailand Super Series has atleast one race per year outside of Thailand.

On 4/11/2020 at 8:32 PM, steven100 said:

That's why they installed what they call air-conditioners in caravans. They blow out cool air as needed.

Yea we know that they exists, I've been in Thailand Quite a few yrs Never have a seen a Caravan or caravan park . Most cars here wouldn't even pull a 20/25 Foot Van.   

On 4/12/2020 at 12:40 AM, timendres said:

In the US, RV-ing is a religion. And there is endless variety. A good choice. Assuming you have the option.

Not as endless as it once was because Covid has closed many national parks.

The bears are returning to Yosemite. Oh, and mountain lions... hungry mountain lions.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/a31919987/national-parks-closed-coronavirus/

38 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Yea we know that they exists, I've been in Thailand Quite a few yrs Never have a seen a Caravan or caravan park . Most cars here wouldn't even pull a 20/25 Foot Van.   

And yet Rangers/Hiluxs/D-Maxs/Everests/Fortuners/ETC ETC around the world have no issue with towing a Van, why would they here ?

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Where are you getting the power to run the air-conn ? As others have said, there are no facilities, there are camp grounds but not powered sites, clean bathrooms, amenities.

A small portable generator would work as there ore only lights, fridge/freezer and the a/c to support. He may have a problem driving an RV in many places, especially if you want to stop at a shopping mall. Trying to park a 30 footer in the car park may not be that easy.

I have seen a very few Toyota pick ups converted into small motor homes but nothing I would want to tour in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Caravan aircons can run off solar. Inverter+solar panels+batteries

AllSpark 2000w inverter will run any caravan air conditioner on the market as long as your batteries can power it and solar can keep up.

15 to 20 Amps at 220V

Start-up can be 2 or 3 times that draw if not Inverter AC

Expect to haul around a HUGE battery bank, unless 5 minutes operation is enuf.

And the amount of solar panels to maintain that - need a VERY big caravan

Not practical at this point in time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

Probably ok if you have a well equipped vehicle, regular caravans would be hot box torture.

Photo taken from the site of a RV stop in Nongprue M1 Chonburi. I pass this place often and it always looks busy. I guess there are other stops similar around Thailand.

Truck.jpg.a4412223a05d095bc389bcdd75d5972f.jpg

I saw a vehicle exactly like that in a car park in fort William, Swiss plates as well.

It had all these mechanical side pods and extensions which, when opened almost

doubled its size!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been living in a caravan (had very modern vans all the time) for 15 years, in Europe and Australia. 

In Thailand my advise is no go. 

Caravans need an infrastructure in a country, like water supply, power supply and also toilet disposal points. 

Without these basic supports, caravaning is not an option. 

The road conditions once you go off the super highway can be very challenging anywhere near mountain country too. 

I truely think you better served with a tent instead.

Longterm caravaning requires a lot of support systems, repair places and part replacement is a given constant, and it's in relative costs only a little cheaper then living in a house, that is in western countries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again for the sensible replies.

Just a note: Having put the question out there was not meant to indicate I was going to buy caravan later that day, fit a tow bar tomorrow and then start touring the same afternoon. It's called planning ahead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johng said:

Don't you need some special licence and documents to drive a truck like that around Thailand ? it certainly doesn't have Thai number plates.

Maybe they're driving around the world, a surprising amount of people do that. Visas and

entry permission for vehicles can be a pain, but if you plan well it is doable.

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

And yet Rangers/Hiluxs/D-Maxs/Everests/Fortuners/ETC ETC around the world have no issue with towing a Van, why would they here ?

Funny you should  say that. You mustn't  Know to much about Towing Caravans around the countryside. we done a fare bit in Australia , ones one get in a bit off Hilly country most of them Small cars/Utes, They Die  They don't even Pull a Skin off a Rice Pudding. I had a Few Hilux Utes. The only Half decent one had a V 6 Pet  the other ones had 2.4 D 2.8D we upgraded that to 2.8DT we Later on changed that to  4.3  Oldsmobile V6 D.. 

Have a Nice day.  :wai:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Lack of tow bars fitted ????

But they are readily available.

You can buy OEM from ford/Toyota/Izuzu... or go aftermarket from companies like TJM/EasyTow/Upbeat/Etc etc.

Edited by Don Mega

2 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Funny you should  say that. You mustn't  Know to much about Towing Caravans around the countryside. we done a fare bit in Australia , ones one get in a bit off Hilly country most of them Small cars/Utes, They Die  They don't even Pull a Skin off a Rice Pudding.

And yet they are popular amongst the grey nomads so to say they are unable to tow a van just shows your ignorance.

Have a nice day.

• Haha 2

On 4/12/2020 at 9:34 AM, Surelynot said:

Thanks for all the replies......going off the idea rapidly.

There is or I think there was in Pattaya a motorhome rental company at lunar rates ...
It can't work in Thailand;

there are tens of thousands of informal hotels and some in the middle of nowhere for prices often derisory ...

I very rarely see vehicles to which caravans are attached, but in 99% of the cases they are workers who move from construction sites to other construction sites.

2 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

There is or I think there was in Pattaya a motorhome rental company at lunar rates ...
It can't work in Thailand;

there are tens of thousands of informal hotels and some in the middle of nowhere for prices often derisory ...

I very rarely see vehicles to which caravans are attached, but in 99% of the cases they are workers who move from construction sites to other construction sites.

Really expensive in Europe as well. We looked at a monthly rental and worked out we could stay in 'reasonable' hotels for the same price, and in a lot more comfort.

4 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

Nast things towed mainly by a Gypsy going too fast, or the majority who just annoy working road users going too slow. Dutch are menace, im one, clogging the roads going to Med Campsites. How many have just joined TV like me because of the Chinease Flues i wonder.?.

‘Don’t Come Knockin,If The Caravan’s Rockin’

3 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Only  Asia has those little cement mixer engines, Oz n USA have V8s generally.

Really, You see many Rangers/Hiluxs/D-Maxs/Everests/Fortuners/ ETC ETC in Aus with V8's in them ?