Russia airlifts 228 tourists trapped in Phuket

rooster59

Russia airlifts 228 tourists trapped in Phuket

By Anton Makhrov

1586590394_1-org.jpg

An Airbus (same as pictured) with 228 Russians left Phuket on Apr 10. The date of the next airlift is yet to be revealed. Photo: Fedor Leukhin 

PHUKET: The official closure of Phuket International Airport on April 10 did not prevent Russia from airlifting 228 of its citizens trapped on the island due to COVID-19.

The first airlift after the airport’s closure was performed by Aeroflot, Russia’s flag carrier in civil aviation, on April 10.

An Airbus A330-300 plane was sent to the Southern resort province of Thailand and left the island at 3.20pm. Ten hours later the plane landed in St. Petersburg and after disembarking some of the passengers headed further to Moscow.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/russia-airlifts-228-tourists-trapped-in-phuket-75675.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-04-12
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Well done by Russia, bet they cut thru a lot of stupid Thai red tape to make that happen.

I don't think the hurdles for lifting people back home are not that high.

Bangkok is also still open for evac.

Lufthansa (Germany) currently does multiple/daily evac flights from New Zealand to Frankfurt with stop in Bangkok.

A380, rare sight in New Zealand.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12324060

As far as I remember they would even pickup passengers in Bangkok if seats empty. Not sure though.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I wonder if the Thais were smart enough to shuffle the 3 Russian backpackers they set up in a hotel with food and drinks onto that plane. Also there were other tourists looking for food because they had no money. If they were Russian, they should have joined that flight too.

5 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Russia rewarding their own who were irresponsible weeks ago in not making quicker return flight plans...

Some countries take care of their citizens. As my good Russian friend has said to me more than once: "Anything for you my friend, we are blood brothers." And he has proven that more than once.

5 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

really hate these type of people...

I hope it felt good to get that off your chest.

Personally, I reserve my ire for the Country of Corona Pandemics, without whom none of us would be dealing with this disaster.

• Like 2