Recommended wall creepers to keep house cool

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It's best I think, not to plant creepers on your house walls,

they could cause damp,the roots eat into the walls,and finally

make it easier for vermin,Rats to enter your ceiling space,

chewing wiring .

if you want it to be a cooler environment around your house,

plant trees and bushes,plus water features,if you have space.

regards worgeordie

Currently looking into using Passion Flower vines. They’ll be potted and trained on trellis as they don’t attach directly to the wall. Vermin in ceiling space would be a worry though on a couple of the walls, roof is quite high though so I’ll just make sure that the trellis is well below roof level 

If you have the room and want year-round shade near the house, green/yellow palms work a treat.  We've planted a line along the east/west side of our home and our guest house.  Yes, they take some time to grow, but given plentiful water during the first/second dry season along with doses of manure or fertilizer, they'll provide thick shade and wind protection.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kokesaat said:

If you have the room and want year-round shade near the house, green/yellow palms work a treat.  We've planted a line along the east/west side of our home and our guest house.  Yes, they take some time to grow, but given plentiful water during the first/second dry season along with doses of manure or fertilizer, they'll provide thick shade and wind protection.  

Cheers, will look into that. The Passion flower grows really quickly so could be a quick fix for now 

On 4/12/2020 at 4:40 PM, lemonjelly said:

Currently looking into using Passion Flower vines. They’ll be potted and trained on trellis as they don’t attach directly to the wall. Vermin in ceiling space would be a worry though on a couple of the walls, roof is quite high though so I’ll just make sure that the trellis is well below roof level 

This is a good idea, to use a trellis.  If you hinge it at the bottom, with release latches at the top, and don't permanently attach the trellis to the wall, you can get access to the wall for maintenance, depending on the flexibility of the stems or ability to tip the pots. Keep in mind, direct afternoon sun on a south or west facing wall will be very challenging even for plants that can normally take full sun. Pots dry out faster than in the ground plantings, so attend to your watering and mulch the soil surface. Frequent watering of pots depletes nutrients, so attend to fertilization.

Regarding pest control, rats, etc. You should always use "exclusion" method to block access into your house, screens or solid stop-gap methods, vine or no vine. 

Rangoon Creeper is a favorite of mine. Profuse fragrant flowers. We have it growing on a perimeter wall, with base on the shady side of the wall, not on the house, so I'm not sure how it will hold up with full sun on a wall exposure. 

https://www.thaigardendesign.com/quisqualis-indica-rangoon-creeper/

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/vines/rangoon-creeper/rangoon-creeper-vine.htm

• Thanks 1