Trat: Moonshine finishes off drinker who didn't listen to mum

webfact

7 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

So poster, you should know the penalty for contradicting yourself on TV. The men in white coats will be coming for you.

I used to drink Sake with my Japanese business partner, who would get legless on it trying to drink like a Gaijin. You are correct (of course) in that both are made from rice. But comparing Sake to Lao Khao is like comparing Snow White to this guy....

mask with knife.jpg

@DaRoadrunner Sake is around 17% proof, which is pretty strong and yes, you can get wreaked on it. But it is not a spirit like Lao Khao which is around 40% proof. And like any spirit drink, it can only be produced by distillation.

So unless your maid did have a still hidden away somewhere, the brew she concocted wasn't Lao Khao.

You are right though that the villagers will no doubt have a simple method of distillation. Just as the Irish and the Scots did for making whisky. (maybe some still do) 'Moonshine' is produced in many different cultures. Some expats do it Saudi Arabia to make a drink known as saddiq (distilled wine). You can make a simple still from a basic chemistry set.

So mind how you go. The bans will soon be over. (ours ends tomorrow)

Have a safe day.

12 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

You think our maid had access to a still? I seriously doubt and suspect the Issaan folk have a simple way of making it. All I saw was a plastic bucket with sticky rice and a clear liquid that was rocket fuel..... Only one word describes it.... Lethal.

No doubt there will now be a slew of responses on how the stuff is made.

Still for sale.

On 4/15/2020 at 11:56 AM, marko kok prong said:

Moonshine is a little misleading ,it makes one think of a still set up in the Kentucky woods or something,he was most likely drinking methanol or some such.

Well, of course he is referring to past American history. But it is well founded.

Although poorly distilled grain liquor contains multiple harmful impurities, these do not kill in days. Methanol on the other hand will blind and kill you pretty quickly. especially if your liver is already damaged as this fellow's likely was. 

DISCLAIMER:

I'm not a professional alcoholic though I do play one on TV and sometimes at parties. 

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2020 at 8:31 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

My maid, from Issaan, made some Lao Khao in a bucket using sticky rice. Left it out in the sun to ferment. “You better drink it now, if I let it ferment any longer it will kill you,” she said.

I tried a mouthful and my vision flashed on and off. For a moment my lights went out. The maid ate the residual sticky rice and was found the next day, out in the pouring rain, unconscious under a palm tree.

With the booze ban it would not surprise me if half of Issaan was now lying under a palm tree.

Smoooooothe stuff!

Curious if your 'maid' wears a uniform whilst completing her cleaning and it seems fermenting duties.

Edited by marko kok prong
remove letter wrong spelling.

12 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Curious if your 'maid' wears a uniform whilst completing her cleaning and it seems fermenting duties.

Mr Kok Prong, your mind is nearly as warped as mine. No uniform, but I did have another maid who, having cleaned the apartment, would polish my prong. Back in the day, cleaning and polishing cost 1000 Bats a month. Sigh.... things ain't what they used to be.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 8:31 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

My maid, from Issaan, made some Lao Khao in a bucket using sticky rice. Left it out in the sun to ferment. “You better drink it now, if I let it ferment any longer it will kill you,” she said.

I tried a mouthful and my vision flashed on and off. For a moment my lights went out. The maid ate the residual sticky rice and was found the next day, out in the pouring rain, unconscious under a palm tree.

With the booze ban it would not surprise me if half of Issaan was now lying under a palm tree.

Smoooooothe stuff!

I had a mouthful  once. That was enough to make me feel drunk. Never again