Coronavirus causes surge in dog and cat meat sales in Vietnam and Cambodia, investigators say

geovalin

Sales of dog and cat meat have risen in Vietnam and Cambodia since the outbreak of the coronavirus because people believe it has “warming” properties that head off flu viruses, an investigation has found.

Even some hospital doctors recommend the meat to patients, claiming it helps protect them from cold weather and recover from surgery, according to campaigners.

But experts say caging the animals in large numbers and slaughtering them in insanitary conditions actively increases the chances of starting dangerous diseases, and there is no evidence of the meat having any beneficial effects.

read more https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-dog-cat-meat-vietnam-cambodia-indonesia-animals-covid19-four-paws-a9464946.html

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, car720 said:

This is an opportunity for Thailand to make a killing and clean up the soi problem at the same time.

I don't think you understand the culture, especially in Vietnam. The culture of eating dog is based in north Vietnam and it is not a matter of grabbing some diseased mutt off the street and slapping it on the grill. Yes, there will be an extremely down-market subsector which I would imagine is already well-oversupplied.

The North Vietnamese have what is called "meat dog" type. Very selective as regards size and age and other features. Sometimes there is a liking for some unusual types of dog but that is not the mainstream.

So grabbing diseased soi dogs is not going to be useful.

7 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

I don't think you understand the culture, especially in Vietnam. The culture of eating dog is based in north Vietnam and it is not a matter of grabbing some diseased mutt off the street and slapping it on the grill. Yes, there will be an extremely down-market subsector which I would imagine is already well-oversupplied.

The North Vietnamese have what is called "meat dog" type. Very selective as regards size and age and other features. Sometimes there is a liking for some unusual types of dog but that is not the mainstream.

Try telling that to some poor family who is starving. At least it might keep them alive and do the rest of us a favour!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, car720 said:

This is an opportunity for Thailand to make a killing and clean up the soi problem at the same time.

You may be saying this in jest, or with tongue in cheek, but it IS a true statement as far as I'm concerned. However, awhile back a truck load of dogs ( and some cats ) got stopped at the border, on the way from Thailand to Cambodia. The people were charged...and no one knows what happened to the truckload of animals. 

19 hours ago, Proboscis said:

You will not see many soi dogs in Cambodia , cos they get eaten .

They say we have all probably eaten dog or cat at some time especially in a vindaloo curry or Jalfrezi  .

Something serious has to be done to stop the eating of endangered animals e.g. elephant & rhino tusks . Tigers penises , these people come from another planet 

22 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Aw, shucks!!

14 hours ago, UPDEHSOI said:

You may be saying this in jest, or with tongue in cheek, but it IS a true statement as far as I'm concerned. However, awhile back a truck load of dogs ( and some cats ) got stopped at the border, on the way from Thailand to Cambodia. The people were charged...and no one knows what happened to the truckload of animals. 

the consignment note was passed to a more sympathetic customs broker.